Did someone say BLOOPERS?

Did someone say BLOOPERS?

Jeff Baker
Jeff Baker

October 24th, 2001, 7:40 pm #1

Here's another one I remember from over 20 years ago, although this time I was listening in my car. A Sunday afternoon/evening. The station was doing its 6PM news, which even on weekends was 35 minutes long. A breaking story was underway--a small plane had made an emergenclanding near the Thruway in Ramapo, One of the staffers, who normally did not work Sundays, was reached and went out to cover it. The newscaster at the station spoke during a commercial break off the air with the reporter, and because he was basically working in the newsroom by himself, loaded a cart into the record deck, started it, and told the reporter to count down and deliver his report. The plan was that the engineer on the board in the studio would be able to retrieve the cart, cue it to right after the countdown, and play it into the news. Sounds like it should have worked, except that it didn't.
What neither the newscaster nor the engineer realized was that the reporter didn't get the story correct on the first take. He made it all the way up to his "lockout", at which time he forgot just where he was. What was heard on the air was, "Joe Blow, RKL News....ahh sh*t! ......Joe Blow, RKL News, Ramapo."

That's what went out on the air, surprising the engineer, the newscaster, me, and probably a few listeners.

As for "the rest of the story", the reporter wasn't fired, but was given 2 weeks to find another job.

(Name changed to protect the guilty--and although the person is listed on the KIOTR/WRKL WHERE R THEY NOW page, there is no current info for them)

October 26th, 2001, 1:41 pm #2

The Ramapo Airport sign off SNAFU reminded me about Gary Koplin. The last time I heard from him was 1984, He was in San Antonio, Texas. I believe he was selling windows-aluminum siding and other home improvements. I remember the situation surrounding his leaving RKL.
He actualy volunteered to cover the plane mishap at the airport -- and his dedication and conscientiousness ended with his firing.
He didn't know he was on cart. He thought he was on tape to be edited.

Anyway, that's the rest of the story.

RichMendelson for the defense.

Paul Panzarella
Paul Panzarella

December 10th, 2001, 4:10 am #3

Hi Rich!
Remember me? You mentioned Gary Koplin. Wasn't he the guy who couldn't stop laughing on the air during a news cast? After that, John Russell fired him...I think. Good to hear/read you. Write back!
Paul