Does Samael have primary symbol?

Ask questions and discuss research on angelic symbols, scripts, seals, and sigils here. Please keep all off topic discussion to the discussion forums. All questions posted here will be answered directly from the administrator or moderators.

Does Samael have primary symbol?

Elaisa
Ischim
Elaisa
Ischim

December 17th, 2011, 2:49 am #1

I just found this forum yesterday and I am really amazed.

:o Im just wondering if these are the primary symbol of Samael:

I will really appreciate if someone can show me more symbol of Samael and some trivia about him.
I am working with my comics at most and he'll be my protagonist.

SingAlongSong
Ischim

December 22nd, 2011, 4:17 pm #2

A while back, I was in contact (over the internet) with a psychic that mysteriously died due to murder or suicide, but the case is unclear. She had written a book. "The Great Encyclopedia of Angels: The Truth about Angels," by Aryella Jupiter. There is a second version, but I don't know where it is right now. In her listing for Samael, under Seal:

"He has several seals for different affairs. One of his oldest seal is three holy mountains from Sixth Heaven and the sun Rising."

Mind you it's a first edition so the editing is a little off.

January 4th, 2012, 5:42 am #3

Yes, this is the primary symbol for the angel called Samael:

The symbol represents the primordial earth or "red earth" (as in 'hot' earth) & is associated with Mars not only through this representation but also due to Samael's associations with the planetary attributes of Mars. (It is sometimes deciphered as an eruption atop the surface of the world - such as a volcano - a fitting depiction of Samael as an angel of primordial rock.)

It is argued that this is an older version of the two more popular symbols for Samael in medieval conjuration & the Qliphoth (Kabbalah), shown respectively here:

|

Samael was one of the original angelic (or demonic) rulers of the forming earth. He was part of an order of primordial Ra'im (personifying angels). Of these, he was one of the first angels of the Earth along with Leviathan & Rahab (who ruled the fresh waters & salt waters respectively). Samael ruled over the forming land, and was associated with ash, rock, fire & sulfur. These properties are likely responsible for his associations with Mars - along with his previous standing as an angel of war under Michael.

(See more on Samael here: Samael)

In alchemy, his symbols were used to represent sulphur, poison, danger, etc. Though usually, these are reversed. Some of these are also used interchangeably in astrology mysticism to represent Mars, as they are also properties of the red planet:

| |

There are also several sigils which are credited to both Mars and Samael...

| | |

These are the 'line sigils' for the planet Mars. They are associated with all angels of Mars, including Samael:

|

However, Samael also has his own particular 'line sigil' as one of the Archangels of the calendar (associated with both Tuesday and Mars). This sigil is what is primarily used to represent him in mysticism and invocation rites. There are several variants of it below...

| |

[Third sigil down in the list below...]

In the middle ages (and possibly earlier), Samael was recognized as both a Goetia (a demon of the Earth) and an angel of death. In his role as a Goetia demon, he became known as one of the primary devils & was thus equated with Satan by many. He became associated with Samiel in solomonic ritual & was identified with these sigils below:

| |

As an angel of death and poison, he became associated with the medieval symbol: the flower of death...

His primary seal contains many symbols associated with Mars, including his line sigil. It also contains the symbol for "power / authority" and the reversed symbol of "quintessence", indicating chaos, worldliness or corruption.
[center]

[/center]
~Ari'el

Elaisa
Ischim
Elaisa
Ischim

January 17th, 2012, 11:02 am #4

:P Great tnx a lot SingAlongSong and Ariel