August 31st, 2018, 2:58 pm #31

Dumb question: I'm looking at the melee mods on guns, and I'm curious how to treat a melee attack with a gun. Do you consider all guns light melee weapons, some as heavy melee weapons, or none of them as melee weapons at all?

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

September 1st, 2018, 3:17 am #32

It is not a dumb question ;)

Basically, they are not considered since they are not melee weapons at all. When you are wielding a non-melee weapon, you simply roll 1d3 (for Medium-sized creatures) + Str + misc modifier. Some weapons have bonuses to melee attacks, increasing this damage, but they are never as effective in melee combat as a melee weapon that can provide a greater damage bonus to melee attacks.
And since they do not count as melee weapons, the character cannot benefit from the Martial Artist power, for example. The GM, however, is always free to change this and treat them as light melee weapons for the purpose of powers. But he or she should not treat give them bonus to melee damage as if they were light melee or heavy melee weapons as that will make characters ignore the melee weapons in the table.
"This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."