Melee Scaling with levels.

From weapons to armor to mods and other gear, here you can find information about all those items

Melee Scaling with levels.

January 20th, 2018, 12:53 am #1

Hello! Now, I don't know if this is the right section to put this.... but, well. Here we go.

I've just started DM'ing a MEd20 campaign, for my first time DM'ing ever... I'm very quickly learning the value of reading everything in depth. :P

Though, everywhere I've read, it doesn't appear to give me solid information on how to do a melee build that scales well into higher levels. The reason why I say that is that the melee weapons don't have variants to help them be better at higher levels, or better melee weapons later on like the ranged weapons get. Not to mention ranged weapon modifications as well... So it made me wonder, how does a melee specifically scale with level and is viable at higher levels?

I've a player who's rolling up a Human Adept and wants to be melee focused. I'm wondering on how to best guide him so he doesn't feel like he's falling behind the other players.

Thanks in advance for answering!

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

January 20th, 2018, 2:26 am #2

Hello Cyboran and welcome :)

As it stands, melee does not scale with leveling. The only way to improve melee further is by using powers that grant melee damage bonus. And yes, it is intentional as Mass Effect was always more focused on weapons rather than melee. There are also feats that increase the damage from melee.
Of course the GM is always free to add house rules. If you feel your melee player is starting to lack the offensive power as other characters you could easily give it a +1 bonus for every 3 or 4 levels for example.

However, I advise playing first to see if it the melee character does start to fall behind, since melee can deal a large amount of damage with the same attack, making DR less useful against it. Against ranged weapons, DR is extremely useful since it blocks damage from every shot.
"This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."

January 20th, 2018, 9:24 am #3

Thank you for the quick response! 

What do you think would be a good balanced approach to keeping melee balanced alongside the ranged weapons throughout the level? I'm creating a table right now to try and see if I can dictate how a melee weapon would develop through the levels.

January 20th, 2018, 9:43 am #4

So in the group I've played with the longest Melee can be one of the most singularly damaging abilities in the game. It doesn't scale by the weapon no but there are several powers that a Melee focused character can invest in that can lead to some seriously massive hits. We have had a melee focused krogan battlemaster deliver damage well above 60-70 in one attack. This has led to strategy moments  where the melee characters are used to push through the high DR enemies. The big weakness to melee characters is actually in experience their inability to deal well with crowds.

January 20th, 2018, 11:31 am #5

wiwuno wrote: So in the group I've played with the longest Melee can be one of the most singularly damaging abilities in the game. It doesn't scale by the weapon no but there are several powers that a Melee focused character can invest in that can lead to some seriously massive hits. We have had a melee focused krogan battlemaster deliver damage well above 60-70 in one attack. This has led to strategy moments  where the melee characters are used to push through the high DR enemies. The big weakness to melee characters is actually in experience their inability to deal well with crowds.
Hmmm, okay. And what powers + feats did he end up using to help boost his damage? What was his equipment as well?

January 20th, 2018, 12:34 pm #6

I don't know his exact loadout it wasn't my character but Biotic Enhancement, Krogan Battle Hammer, Strength Boost Pads, martial artist, charge, martial adept, and many other traits. Biotic Strike for unarmed attacks can also be very potent and biotic charge is phenomenal for getting your character into range.

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

January 20th, 2018, 2:06 pm #7

Wiwuno is correct, and strengthens my point on "test first". Melee can be a huge damage dealer without the need to scale with level ;)
"This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."

January 20th, 2018, 4:59 pm #8

Hmmm, alrighty! Thanks for the heads up. Have a good one!

March 4th, 2018, 5:26 pm #9

Just adding to the "test first" idea: My group has a human soldier focused on melee, and she wreaks havoc wherever she goes. Her build uses  Fortification, Blade Armor (as unique specialization) and Martial Artist. Remember to get the "Greater Bashing"  feat. Use a heavy melee weapon or a two-handed melee weapon and you are good to go, even without cybernetics! Also, don't forget the "extra" effects if you choose to do a Heavy Melee Attack. Just beware of insta-kill enemies like banshees, brutes... Also remember that there will be some cases where it is not easy to get to the enemy. But when you do... oh boy!