Future of Mass Effect d20

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

6:24 AM - Jun 11, 2014 #1

I'm making this post because I feel you deserve a heads-up of what has been occurring in the past months, aside from the occasional additions to the Errata or the Expansion.
Thanks to GhostWalker, who helped me make contact with a lawyer who was interesting in helping get this game released into the market with permission of EA/BioWare, there is a strong possibility that this game will indeed hit the market. That was the reason why I created the poll to determine how much people would be willing to pay for the book. For the moment, the contacts between the lawyer and EA have been positive and formal requests have already been sent.

Of course this carries a few implications. The 1st is about the expansion content. I decided to create a version of the manual with the expansion content included, with exception of the expanded ME maps. The content I'm including has less than 30 pages so it feels wrong to leave it out. Regardless of whether or not this game hits the market, this version will be created and shared (though sharing may stop, see below)

The 2nd implication is the sharing of the manual itself. Now I did say there was a strong possibility, but that isn't exactly certainty. EA might not accept the request, even though preliminary contacts have been positive and even though this carries no costs and possible profits for them. They might have their own game planned or have some other motive I cannot anticipate to refuse the request. If that happens, the game will never be sold on stores, of course.
However, if they do accept and printing begins, I will request all those that share the manual to not do it, for obvious reasons. Until then, however, this is not a concern and sharing may continue.

The 3rd implication is the addition of new content and corrections. This will continue to occur but only until such time as printing begins, which will be the time I consider the project 'closed'. Once that happens, any further correction and additions would fall into a web-addon content and Errata and they will only be minor. So if you have ideas you're working on, please share with us if you are interested in seeing if they can become part of the 'official game'.
In addition, since the current Character Traits were not of my design, they will be remade.

The 4th implication involves those whose names are mentioned in the credits. The credits will have your names present, that will not change. However, I have never made this game with the intention of making profit (and I've always stated that) and those that contributed were fully aware they would do it for their own joy and satisfaction but not for profit.
Now that there's a chance this game might be sold, I feel the need to point this out along with the fact that even I might not make any money out of it. Simply because there has to be a limit to the book price and the lawyer who is interested in having this game sold will print it through his own publisher (which is a small one, without access to ultra-efficient printers and distribution channels). Combine all that with the fully colored pages and hardcover, and you get a manual that could cost more than 20€ to print (after tax and fees). That plus shipping costs, royalties to EA as well as his rightful profit, there is a huge chance the game will be sold but without any profit margin for myself. And if there is some it will be a very, very small profit with no margin for redistribution to contributors.
The costs and price-lists are still being drafted. Regardless, the most likely scenario is the one I described and so I would ask that none create other expectations on possible profits with the selling of this book.

The 5th and final implication involves this forum itself. Obviously, if the book starts to be sold, the information shared here will be removed. What happens to the rest of the forum, I can't say. it may begin to be used as a place to answer questions and explain issues, as well as share ideas as it is now. But honestly, that can only be predicted later on. Of course, until such time the forum will continue to exist normally.

Now like I said at the beggining of this post, this merely serves to explain a possible future of this game to everyone, as not to get you by surprise should this future occur. I'll be honest, I truly hope it does occur, I truly hope EA gives the official permission to print and sell this book in stores as that would go a long way for myself and those involved, along with the future of Roleplaying Games and the Mass Effect continuity. And I will, of course, let you know if great news come up.
But if it doesn't, then we'll continue as we are and even though participation on the forum will eventually fade, I will still consider this work as an amazing accomplishment and a success that might hopefully spread (even if slowly) throughout the various corners of the gaming world. And regardless of what happens, I want you to know that you all helped tremendously and this game would have never come this far without your help, and it would never be this good without you. Thank you all, and special thanks to Tommy Rayburn (revel911) and Benjamin Slack (baslack) who, in the process of helping with the manual design, also taught me how to work with inDesign, and to all those with direct contributions and that helped share this game of mine.

Thank you and I'll keep you up to date as the situation develops ;)
"This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."

6:44 AM - Jun 11, 2014 #2

This is fantastic news! I would very much like to see this hit the market with an EA approval badge.
This is just my personal opinion on the matter, but I don't feel any need to receive profit from this, even if it is published en masse.

Now, if everything works out best case scenario and it sells like hotcakes, making EA decide to expand on it, and they're looking for people to hire... Let's just say I'm listening (;

8:59 AM - Jun 11, 2014 #3

Thet's really good news, so congratulations! I hope, everything will be well and the game will be printed.

Some notes about implications:
1)Yes, I think, it should be added. You can make a separate file from expanded maps and share it as a free DLC to the game. EA likes DLCs ;)

3)No more opportunity to turn our houserules and fixes into official rules... I'd better hurry with our campaign :)
Also, in a year or two we will need to make a big update or even a new version of the game, because ME:Next will come out with lots of new stuff that will need to be added to the game.

5)There probably can be an opportunity to leave some rules here. I don't know anything about such things, but, for example, the site d20pfsrd.com somehow gained permission to publish the content from almost all Pathfinder books. Anyway, even without the rules, the forum surely can continue existing as a place for questions and suggestions.
"That was a joke."

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

11:18 AM - Mar 27, 2015 #4

After nearly a year, there is an answer from EA swedish office. A polite "no".. The reasons weren't explained, of course, so why refuse to give a license to a work that would have no costs for them, could give them financial royalties and have some impact in the fan community, is something they kept for themselves..

If anyone has other ideas, or has a way to contact BioWare or EA via their main offices, instead of an international branch, please let me know.

As such, the future of this game will continue as it is: free of charge for everyone, with the links up so people can acquire the manual. I will also update the information in the forum, which I stopped doing some time ago, when this process of attempting to get a license began.
"This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."

11:58 PM - Mar 29, 2015 #5

Well id say this is a surprise, mainly due to the fact that they would have spoken to their main office to talk to Bioware because it is their IP, but im also surprised they didnt send a cease and desist, which in and of itself a positive, if you informed them you did the work and they take no interest even to get you to stop, means you can happily keep going along updating the game, seems as though they dont care either way.

But contact wise, only other way than pestering them by flooding Bioware Montreal, i think is where they are developing Mass Effect, with e-mails, only other straight forward way would be to wait for a convention where they have a stand and give them with a colour hardback copy of the book and let them take it back to look at it.

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

2:03 AM - Apr 20, 2016 #6

While I've been a bit away this past month, it was only due to private-life issues. I have no intentions of abandoning the site or this game. And with Mass Effect Andromeda on the horizon, I can tell you riht now that I plan to adapt this game to ME Andromeda, either by creating a new version or by creating an add-on for the rulebook. Either way, it will be made sometime after ME Andromeda is released. Until then, all I can do is wait ;)

8:45 PM - Aug 12, 2017 #7

Does starfinder hold anything of use to bring over. Magic system is not good. for ME but....

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

12:13 PM - Aug 14, 2017 #8

Is starfinder an RPG system? Never heard of it

5:59 AM - Aug 15, 2017 #9

Sort of? It is the official "Pathfinder in Space" game. It will be ogl...I honestly thought it was out already. Oops.