Combat Maneuvers

This forum provides general information about combat in this Mass Effect d20 conversion
Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

June 9th, 2014, 5:38 pm #31

Improved Grab, definetely is. This change, however, doesn't affect that power and improves the Combat Maneuver for those who do not use the Martial Artist power
"This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."

June 9th, 2014, 7:59 pm #32

I only brought it up because it was mentioned that this was needed BECAUSE there was no improved grapple, but I agree it's needed.

July 26th, 2014, 6:14 am #33

Another suggestion.

A character can aim to the leg of an enemy, trying to immobilize him rather than deal damage. He takes a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack roll is successful and the result of the damage roll is high enough to penetrate target's DR and deal damage to its normal HP, the shot is successful. This shot doesn't deal normal damage. Instead, it deals 1 point of damage to target's HP, and the target's speed is reduced to 5 ft (if it's biped) or halved (if quadruped). Additionally, the target cannot run or charge. This condition lasts until the target is healed with DC 15 First Aid check. Biped target must make a Will save (DC 10 + the damage the shot would otherwise deal to its HP) or fall prone (at GM's discretion, if the target can lean against a wall, it shouldn't make the save). Standing up from prone while injured requires a full-round action.

Example of calculations: Enemy has 17 HP and 5 Shield HP left, and has a medium armor with DR 2. If the attack roll with -5 penalty is successful, you roll damage. If the damage is 7 or less, it's not enough to deal damage to target's HP, and the shot just deals its normal damage. For example, damage is 12. In normal attack it would deal 5 points of damage to the enemy's HP. The shot to the knee is successful. Enemy now has 17-1=16 HP, 0 Shield HP, is slowed and must make a DC 15 Will save to avoid falling prone.

I reduced the damage from this maneuver, because its main purpose is immobilization, and with normal damage it would lead to lots of "killed with a bullet in the foot" situations, especially when shooting the target that doesn't wear armor.
"That was a joke."

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

July 26th, 2014, 7:18 am #34

I don't understand the example. Seems you're missing the fact that a damage from a shot does not continue to the next layer of protections, so if you still have 1 Shield HP and take 10 from a shot, you only lose the Shield HP. I may, however, misunderstood
"This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."

July 26th, 2014, 9:44 am #35

Ah, yes, I forgot that. Consider this example to be a critical hit. Normal hit would result in losing Shield HP without any additional effects, of course.
"That was a joke."

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

August 5th, 2014, 11:06 am #36

So this is essentially a Called Shot, right? I still have difficulty interpreting your example Verence, though I do get the general idea

August 6th, 2014, 1:42 am #37

Yes, it is a type of a Called Shot. Other types also can be introduced (shot to the arm - enemy drops weapon, shot to the head - bonus to critical threat range/ multiplier etc), but it should be balanced.

And the example was given to show how this called shot interacts with multiple layers of HP. If the damage continues to the next layer of protection (critical hits or heavy weapons), only the normal HP damage is used to determine effects of the called shot. If it's enough to deal damage to normal HP, then, instead of this, special effect is triggered. If an attack would deal 5 points of damage to normal HP, then, instead of this, it deals only 1 point of damage, but causes all effects of the called shot and the enemy must make a DC 10+5=15 Will save or fall prone.

Other Called Shot variants suggestion:
Arm:
Penalty to attack: -5
Effects: also deals only 1 point of damage, but all actions with injured arm take a -4 penalty until healed. Also, the target should make a Will save (DC 10 + the damage that the shot would otherwise deal to HP) or drop whatever he has in that hand.

Head:
Penalty to attack: -8
Effects: normal damage, and critical threat range is increased by 3 (or critical multiplier is increased by 1, but it can be too powerful).
Random idea: instead of this, make a feat "Headshot mastery" that allows trading attack bonus for critical threat range.
"That was a joke."

March 23rd, 2018, 10:07 pm #38

Can you do an auto-fire attack ("burst") with an automatic weapon? Say, an N7 Hurricane? Or do you have to fire single shots with it while grappling? Thank you!

March 23rd, 2018, 10:21 pm #39

Another question: The manual states: 
"If you are pinning an oponent, you can attempt to use the target
as a sort of human shield (requires one check and at least 1 free
hand), effectively using him to provide you with Massive Cover.
In such case, if you do manage to use a weapon against the
opponent, you score an immediate critical hit or coup-de-grace
against the victim, whatever the situation dictates."

- Does this "human shield" positioning requires an action? Or is it a free check? Also, what check? Another grapple check I assume(?)

- If I manage to use the victim as a "human shield", I can shoot him with a coup de grace? (with the N7 Hurricane, for example?) - I can see my char holding his SMG against the target's head, for example.

I ask because the manual also states:
"As a full-round action, you can use a melee
weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You
can also use a firearm, provided you are adjacent to the target." - While grappling I'm in the same square as the target, that counts as "adjacent" still, yes?

Thank you again.

On a side note: is there a minimum value for defense? How hard is it to hit a helpless opponent? 5? 10?

Isair
Site Admin
Isair
Site Admin

March 24th, 2018, 4:44 am #40

No, automatic weapons don't have a burst mode. But the GM may decide to let you fire several shots as part of an auto-fire while grappling

As for the 'human shield', you will need to first place the opponent as a 'human shield' and on the following rounds you will be able to attack him or her

There is no minimum value to Defense. Usually a helpless opponent has a Defense of 5