DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

September 26th, 2017, 4:23 pm #61

I think the reasoning I used was that Manga Khan wasn't anywhere in the annual, which means no Manga Khan interruption and therefore not preparing to stop the incoming invasion, which was why I went with between 13-14. 

Could live with either way, frankly, but each has their problems.

Although picturing it again, 14-15 kinda has its own weird charm. JLI throwing a party? Only you, Booster.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

laughingdevil
Modern Age

September 26th, 2017, 4:41 pm #62

I wouldn't include the Weird or Martian Manhunter bc they were neither Giffen nor Bwah haha.

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

September 26th, 2017, 5:08 pm #63

The general Justice League International chronology, not the omnibus.  There were some issues in reading them where they would've fit in the timeline. They were mentioned because of the problems with the JLI  annual 2 in where -that- would have gone in chronological order.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

JV
Modern Age
JV
Modern Age

October 11th, 2017, 7:40 pm #64

anyone pick this up? Really tempted to buy it as I have fond memories of this series.

Great art by Maguire, Templeton, and more in this run.

My concerns: how is the binding? Previous DC Omnibuses have been crappy and fallen apart.
How is the paper/color? Good quality or murky?

Covers in between chapters? (If not - that is a big pet peeve of mine).

and lastly is it too bulky? I find 30 issues the sweet spot for omniboo. 

Any reviews are appreciated!

mr Articulate
Modern Age

October 12th, 2017, 3:17 pm #65

Saw this great review on Youtube

JesseBaker
Bronze Age
JesseBaker
Bronze Age

October 12th, 2017, 3:47 pm #66

I think Weird should be included in any JLI Companion Omnibus.

The four issue Martian Manhunter should be included because MM is a major part of the character and the mini-series basically set up MM's status quo for the bulk of the run.

Also, non-Giffen stuff should definitely be included but on a case by case basis depending on how relevant it is. In case of Justice League Quarterly, the entire series should be included.
Last edited by JesseBaker on October 12th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laughingdevil
Modern Age

October 12th, 2017, 4:05 pm #67

Ugh - why.  Whether the title suggests it or not, the point of the book is Giffen and his style.  Including non-Giffen material would just make it an incoherent and stylistically inconsistent mess.

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

October 12th, 2017, 4:23 pm #68

I can't quite tell from that video, as I don't have my copy yet, but did they include the backups from 8-10 in 'Extras'? 
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

Sluggo
Sluggo

October 13th, 2017, 12:12 pm #69

The book looks great. But it irks me that this book has a gorgeous interior cover and the Swamp Thing Omni just got that boring black. What a missed opportunity to showcase some amazing Wrightson/Yeates/Bissette/Redondo art. Harumph.

JesseBaker
Bronze Age
JesseBaker
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 2:50 pm #70

laughingdevil wrote: Ugh - why.  Whether the title suggests it or not, the point of the book is Giffen and his style.  Including non-Giffen material would just make it an incoherent and stylistically inconsistent mess.
Because the whole point of this expensive HC series is to collect EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING!

Basically, the only ONLY (“PROFANITY REMOVED”) reason to do a JLI omnibus is to collect the ENTIRE period. From start to finish, not a (“PROFANITY REMOVED”) half-assed "Only collecting the Giffen issues" crap.

The chief goal of doing a JLI omnibus is to collect the entire JLI era Justice League. EVERYTHING. Justice League America #1-113/JLE #1-68, PLUS JLTF and Extreme Justice and all of the annuals, relevant crossover issues/tie-ins, and specials. That should be the mantra, not "only collecting the issues Giffen wrote or draw" because we saw how well THAT line of thought ruined the previous attempt at collecting another DC mainstay New Teen Titans, as far as the original omnibus series for THAT title.

Sluggo
Sluggo

October 13th, 2017, 3:55 pm #71

JesseBaker wrote:
laughingdevil wrote: Ugh - why.  Whether the title suggests it or not, the point of the book is Giffen and his style.  Including non-Giffen material would just make it an incoherent and stylistically inconsistent mess.
Because the whole point of this expensive HC series is to collect EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING!

Basically, the only ONLY @#%$&! reason to do a JLI omnibus is to collect the ENTIRE period. From start to finish, not a @#%$&! half-assed "Only collecting the Giffen issues" crap.

The chief goal of doing a JLI omnibus is to collect the entire JLI era Justice League. EVERYTHING. Justice League America #1-113/JLE #1-68, PLUS JLTF and Extreme Justice and all of the annuals, relevant crossover issues/tie-ins, and specials. That should be the mantra, not "only collecting the issues Giffen wrote or draw" because we saw how well THAT line of thought ruined the previous attempt at collecting another DC mainstay New Teen Titans, as far as the original omnibus series for THAT title.
Dude. Try decaf. ;)

Batman
Bronze Age
Batman
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 4:36 pm #72

Can't wait to get my hands on this, looks great. I was buying the paperbacks as they were coming out and it was tragic they were cut short just before finishing the series.

laughingdevil
Modern Age

October 13th, 2017, 5:32 pm #73

JesseBaker wrote:

Basically, the only ONLY @#%$&! reason to do a JLI omnibus is to collect the ENTIRE period. From start to finish, not a @#%$&! half-assed "Only collecting the Giffen issues" crap.

That just sounds awful.

First, though it should go without saying, the JLI appearances without Giffen simply weren't special (except for maybe the Animal Man story because Morrison is a wonderful writer in his own right).  They were just boring hum drum DCU comics without much to speak for them.  Oh look, there is Black Canary, yay!!!  Oh boy, Blue Beetle, whoopie!!

Second, the mantra of collecting everything would result in a stylistically disjointed series of books that would simply be bad reads.  Why are they bwah haha one minute, and conventional superhero stuff the next?  Also, the bigger the series, the more likely to fail sale-wise as numbers sold typically are going to drop with each volume.  Hence, why waste valuable pages on Invasion or Millennium just to be extra inclusive?

Third, while I'm bummed that the series probably won't include Giffen-plotted items like his Mr. Miracle G'Nort issue, Starman with the Scarlet Skier and Mr. Nebula, or the Secret Origin of the Justice League of America, I take some solace that it series definitely won't be as awful as it would be if they went with the mantra of "collect everything."

laughingdevil
Modern Age

October 13th, 2017, 5:39 pm #74

A few other things I'm wondering - 

1.  Will these books be used to continue the SC line?
2.  Are they going to switch between JLA and JLE where the stories make sense to do so, or will they just always randomly go one month, JLA, one month, JLE, etc.  My preference would be try to not interrupt stories, but I have a feeling they'll just put the book in the order they were released.

JesseBaker
Bronze Age
JesseBaker
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 8:06 pm #75

laughingdevil wrote: A few other things I'm wondering - 

1.  Will these books be used to continue the SC line?
2.  Are they going to switch between JLA and JLE where the stories make sense to do so, or will they just always randomly go one month, JLA, one month, JLE, etc.  My preference would be try to not interrupt stories, but I have a feeling they'll just put the book in the order they were released.
They will most likely alternate, though for multi-issue stories, they will most likely run them in full (IE the entire Extremist plot will run then switch over to say, the six part Major Glory arc etc)

dcnewton
dcnewton

October 13th, 2017, 8:17 pm #76

'Because the whole point of this expensive HC series is to collect EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING!'
Show me where DC said they were going to do this?

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

October 16th, 2017, 8:04 pm #77

DavidTai wrote: I can't quite tell from that video, as I don't have my copy yet, but did they include the backups from 8-10 in 'Extras'? 
No, the backups stories are included with each of those issues.   

The Maxwell Lord "Hostage" Bonus Book from #24 is also included (it was left out of the Vol. 4 trade).  

And Annual #1 is slotted between 4 and 5.  

hixon23
Silver Age
hixon23
Silver Age

October 17th, 2017, 3:25 pm #78

laughingdevil wrote:
JesseBaker wrote:

That just sounds awful.

First, though it should go without saying, the JLI appearances without Giffen simply weren't special (except for maybe the Animal Man story because Morrison is a wonderful writer in his own right).  They were just boring hum drum DCU comics without much to speak for them.  Oh look, there is Black Canary, yay!!!  Oh boy, Blue Beetle, whoopie!!

Second, the mantra of collecting everything would result in a stylistically disjointed series of books that would simply be bad reads.  Why are they bwah haha one minute, and conventional superhero stuff the next?  Also, the bigger the series, the more likely to fail sale-wise as numbers sold typically are going to drop with each volume.  Hence, why waste valuable pages on Invasion or Millennium just to be extra inclusive?

Third, while I'm bummed that the series probably won't include Giffen-plotted items like his Mr. Miracle G'Nort issue, Starman with the Scarlet Skier and Mr. Nebula, or the Secret Origin of the Justice League of America, I take some solace that it series definitely won't be as awful as it would be if they went with the mantra of "collect everything."
How about those who don't want certain issues not read said issues?????? 🤔

laughingdevil
Modern Age

October 17th, 2017, 4:06 pm #79

hixon23 wrote:
laughingdevil wrote:
JesseBaker wrote:

That just sounds awful.

How about those who don't want certain issues not read said issues?????? 🤔
Because you can't get out of buying or storing said issues.

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

October 17th, 2017, 4:41 pm #80

Actually, I thought the point of the book was Kevin Maguire and his style. 🤔