BLAMMO!'S Official NBA Thread

For all non-comics threads about pop culture, sports, music, art, literature and other fun and frivolity: If it ain't about comics, it's here!
MY Posts - NEW Posts - UNREAD Posts
DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

October 27th, 2017, 10:50 am #221

I have to admit, aside from that streak of horrible shooting in the second quarter, I really liked watching the Celtics play. Defense's getting better, Irving and Horford are forming a pretty danged good chemistry, and the young players are really growing. Different one each night (five freaking rookies for the Celtics. You kidding me?)
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

October 28th, 2017, 12:05 pm #222

After an awful weak for the Wolves, seeing Towns play that well last night restored some of my hope for the future of the team.  That's the Karl Towns that projects as a Top-5 player.  The exceptionally well-rounded offensive player with solid, versatile defense that we see flashes of on a semi-regular basis.   7 offensive rebounds...8 for 9 from the line...4 blocks...only 1 turnover. 

And Butler...man.  Rubio's still my favorite NBA player, but Butler might now be my second favorite.  What a tough SOB.  The way he and Taj do all the little things on the court is just a breath of fresh air for a Wolves fan. 

davidh777
Bronze Age
davidh777
Bronze Age

October 28th, 2017, 2:06 pm #223

DavidTai wrote: I have to admit, aside from that streak of horrible shooting in the second quarter, I really liked watching the Celtics play. Defense's getting better, Irving and Horford are forming a pretty danged good chemistry, and the young players are really growing. Different one each night (five freaking rookies for the Celtics. You kidding me?)
I watched most of the second half against Milwaukee, and it was fun to see Horford knocking down shots, Irving making plays late, and the young guys contributing.

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

October 31st, 2017, 11:23 am #224

fubarthepanda wrote: Well, he wouldn't be a Sixer if he didn't miss his rookie season...!
The most reasonable explanation I've heard has been that Fultz hired his agent very, very late in the process - a few weeks before the draft. As a result, he had no agent monitoring his workouts, etc, until the damage had already been done and exaberated by summer league.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

fubarthepanda
Golden Age

October 31st, 2017, 11:38 am #225

With the way Simmons is handling point forward, they should just fix Fultz and slow down his return. No rush.

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

November 4th, 2017, 12:28 am #226

Wow. First team to win 7 in a row after starting 0-2. Team came together amazingly well. I didn't expect to see the Celtics win after being down by 18 to the Thunder, but wow.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

fubarthepanda
Golden Age

November 4th, 2017, 10:58 am #227

Not to mention the Sixers having their first winning record in four years...!

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

November 6th, 2017, 1:32 pm #228

I don't understand -anything- the Sixers are thinking other than 'Embiid and Simmons'.

https://deadspin.com/markelle-fultz-is- ... 1820184159
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

fubarthepanda
Golden Age

November 6th, 2017, 3:43 pm #229

My guess is that they're just conditioning the muscles in his left arm and shoulder to cross-balance the conditioning that apparently injured his right shoulder.  They try and get these guys to add so much muscle mass in such a short period of time that they can end up hurting themselves if they don't do it properly.  But I don't think we'll see Fultz healthy until after the holidays (if that).  No point in rushing him back when the team seems to be doing fine without him.

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

November 7th, 2017, 9:09 am #230

IT4's returning, potentially sooner than expected. Cleveland really needs him badly since it seems like the only player on that team now that can consistently get his own points is Lebron - that team is way, way too old.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

November 16th, 2017, 8:40 am #231

For a long time it's been a drag that the Wolves were in the West.  But watching Giannis, KP, Simmons, and Embiid this year...I'm thinking it won't be long before I'm glad the Wolves are in the West.

Whether the Sixers eventually win a title or not, I think it's safe to say The Process worked.  Two players under the age of 24 who are both playing like locks to make the All-Star team this season - and both have shown clear Hall of Fame potential. 

That said, if I had to bet on an Eastern Conference team to make multiple trips to the Finals over the next 5 seasons, I'd take the Celtics.  Small sample size on Tatum, but I love his game so far.  He might be really struggling if he was on a bad team with a high usage rate, but so far he's been a great complementary piece around Kyrie.  Efficient scoring, solid defense, pretty good rebounder.   Another good move by Ainge. 

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

November 16th, 2017, 4:27 pm #232

I've been having a hard time understanding why the Sixers bothered to trade two lottery picks for Fultz, when they already had Simmons in hand. It seems like they would have been better off just holding on and waiting.

Might have been thinking of just having transcendant all-around talent all around, but I don't really see the need to have another ball handler right there.

I'm just glad the Sixers traded for Fultz though, the thought of Tatum -and- another lottery pick on that team is frightening. Tatum seems like exactly what they need as a counterpart for Simmons and Embiid, with Covington to do the dirty work.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

November 16th, 2017, 5:39 pm #233

DavidTai wrote: I've been having a hard time understanding why the Sixers bothered to trade two lottery picks for Fultz, when they already had Simmons in hand. It seems like they would have been better off just holding on and waiting.

Might have been thinking of just having transcendant all-around talent all around, but I don't really see the need to have another ball handler right there.

I'm just glad the Sixers traded for Fultz though, the thought of Tatum -and- another lottery pick on that team is frightening. Tatum seems like exactly what they need as a counterpart for Simmons and Embiid, with Covington to do the dirty work.
It seemed like the idea with Fultz was that he excel at playing off the ball because of his shooting ability, sort of like Harden when he was at OKC.  He could take playmaking pressure off of Simmons, while not needing the ball all the time.  None of the other top guards projected to have his kind of shooting.  And nobody knew for sure at the time of the draft that Simmons could handle the point like he has.  They needed a PG who could guard PG's well, but play off the ball on offense.  With Fultz's shooting ability and size, he projected to be that kind of player. 

As great as Simmons looks to be, he does make it more complicated to construct your team. 

Not to mention Tatum was seen prior to the draft as more of a Melo/Pierce type polished ISO scorer.  He wasn't seen as a guy who would be a plus defender and there were questions about how well he'd do with the NBA 3-pt line.  The fear with Tatum was that he'd be another player who needed the ball in his hands a lot, just like Simmons and Embiid. 

If Fultz's shoulder isn't screwed up long term, I think it will work out for both teams.

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

November 16th, 2017, 10:50 pm #234

Holeeeee craaaaaap.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

39steps
Crystar Age
39steps
Crystar Age

November 16th, 2017, 11:43 pm #235

DavidTai wrote: Holeeeee craaaaaap.
Boyeeeeeeeeeee

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

November 17th, 2017, 7:45 am #236

Wow.  Great win last night.  Congrats to all the Celts fan on the boards. 

fubarthepanda
Golden Age

November 17th, 2017, 8:57 am #237

A little bit of home cooking down the stretch, but, overall, the Celts played a lot of harder and deserved the win.

DavidTai
Forum Moderator
DavidTai
Forum Moderator

November 17th, 2017, 1:31 pm #238

So, putting aside the 'Holy crap, the Celtics beat the Warriors!' rant that I keep wanting to break into:

The Sixers are really maxing out their cap room for next summer, with the signing of Covington.

Thinking, given everything...

I think they're going for Lebron James.
--------------

Brother Eye

is watching.

--------------

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

November 17th, 2017, 4:42 pm #239

He'd make them better, no doubt.  But I don't know if I'd want to put Lebron next to Simmons and Embiid.  Simmons, especially, would be somewhat redundant playing next to Lebron.  And his lack of shooting would be much more of an issue if he had to play off the ball a lot more (and you're not giving Lebron max money to not be your primary ball handler). 

I like Avery Bradley as a target for them this summer. 

fubarthepanda
Golden Age

November 18th, 2017, 6:13 pm #240

Well, if he wants to win another ring, it's not going to happen with the Lakers.  But he'd be a near perfect fit in Philly, with Simmons playing point-forward and allowing Lebron to conserve much needed energy.  Imagine Lebron charging the lane, with Embiid as his passing option?  That would be near indefensible, especially in today's smaller league.  The Sixers have also assembled a nice collection of sharpshooters, so they wouldn't need much more help outside of some vets to burn some regular season minutes.  Not Lebron's biggest fan, but it could be a match made in basketball heaven.