kurtisfindlay
Modern Age

October 12th, 2017, 7:47 pm #12121

I have 75. They quickly started coming out faster than I could read them. But I didn't want to fall behind and now I have stuff to read for the rest of my life.
The Epic Marvel Podcast is the only podcast dedicated to Marvel's Epic Collection!
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  iTunes  |  Epic Collection spreadsheet
The Library of American Comics & EuroComics Podcast with Dean Mullaney and yours truly!

humanracin
Modern Age
humanracin
Modern Age

October 12th, 2017, 8:01 pm #12122

I have 36 Epics... so far

I collect ALL : Fantastic Four, Avengers, Defenders, Doctor Strange, X-Men, Wolverine and X-related titles
All the other super hero ones I buy Volume 1s only mostly unless there's John Byrne issues (still my favourite Marvel artist ever)
Star Wars : I only collect the original Marvel years ones
The only ones I have zero interest in so far are: Moon Knight and Master of King Fu

DrBruceFixit
Modern Age
DrBruceFixit
Modern Age

October 12th, 2017, 9:41 pm #12123

Hulk, FF, and Defenders are my main lines which I collect everything from.

Until we see Sub-Mariner: The Epic Collection
First comic book: FF #247 - THIS LAND IS MINE! (1982)
First collected edition: Uncanny X-Men - Dark Phoenix Saga trade paperback, first printing (1984)

Dream line: Sub-Mariner Epic Collection collecting from FF #4 to the end of Namor The Sub-Mariner

Banshee Matt
Modern Age
Banshee Matt
Modern Age

October 13th, 2017, 10:16 am #12124

29. No Star Wars ones (although I might try to snag the Infinites one if I see it super cheap) and the only line I am going for completion in is Amazing Spider-Man.  
<br>

Near Mint
Near Mint

October 13th, 2017, 11:11 am #12125

43 Epics so far for me.  I'm not going for a complete set, though I have a goal of getting as much of the Shooter era as possible.  The 80s were my prime collecting years, and Epics have really afforded all of us the first opportunity ever to obtain decent-quality collected editions of this material in glorious full color - best of all with a cohesive plan to reprint every series in a consistent format.  The non-sequential order of Epics was a brilliant choice IMHO to meaningfully differentiate the content of this product line from that of Masterworks or Essentials.

Back then, there were several titles that I chose not to follow routinely, mostly due to budgetary constraints.  Now I can potentially enjoy in a more comprehensive way what I consider to be the most tightly structured period of story continuity in Marvel's long history, owing to the relatively strong editorial discipline and creator incentive compensation at the time.

I already have the three-volume Star Wars omnibus set and am getting the IDW newspaper volumes.  Although some of the later SW material interests me, I can't justify the shelf space requirements for an open-ended accumulation of Star Wars Epics.  Now that Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm are all one big happy family, there will be no respite from the ongoing Star Wars publication tsunami.  As a lifelong fan, I'm naturally pleased to see the franchise resurgent and hope these books encourage younger fans to explore the joys of comics; however, I'll have to remain content with limiting myself to the nostalgic material produced during the original trilogy.  :)

Rimmer
Modern Age
Rimmer
Modern Age

October 13th, 2017, 11:15 am #12126

I'm using epics as "filler" around other Omnibus, MMW, OHC, and TPB books I already have.  My shelves would probably make some of you hurl with the non-uniformity of them, but I prefer my books to be the highest level presentation when at all possible, and for me, that's omnibus and/or MMW.  But I'm not an elitist and LOVE the Epics for readability.

I currently have 34 and would like to get more, but wallet is only so big.  And the beauty of these books, unlike omnibuses and MMWs, at least so far, is you don't have to scramble to nab it on release day for fear they'll be unavailable.  Except for the little drought of Iron Fist, seems like most/all of the Epics are still in print, or at least widely available on the second-hand market, so that's obviously a plus!

mrglass08
mrglass08

October 13th, 2017, 12:21 pm #12127

I think I have 88 in total. I have all of the Marvel epics and most of the Star Wars epics, I am not collecting The Original Marvel Years because I have the omnibuses and the Legacy series because if it is all non canon anyway my personal canon ends before the Vong show up. The only one I am still on the fence about is the Newspaper Strips line. I probably will get them as well, I just haven't talked my self into it yet.

Medieval Guy
Golden Age

October 13th, 2017, 1:04 pm #12128

A quick count gets me 55.  I don't collect everything, but more than not (there are a few lines that don't interest me at all, and a few others that I have in MW or Omni).

faust33
Bronze Age
faust33
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 1:43 pm #12129

Superhero epics, Star Wars Original Marvel Years, plus Star Wars Infinities. I was buying everything, but am now getting selective, starting with Star Wars, then Wolverine and possibly some of the X-titles.

Embarrassingly, I've only read 1 so far! But I was playing the 'wait for completeness' or at least a lot of consecutive early volumes all together. I'll be working through Power Man & Iron Fist, then should probably get started (finally) on Shang-Chi. 

Rimmer
Modern Age
Rimmer
Modern Age

October 13th, 2017, 2:50 pm #12130

A few new hatchette sightings, and two new EPICs I've found in there:

Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Spider-Man No More
https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/title ... 302910235/

Captain America Epic Collection: The Bloodstone Hunt
https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/title ... 302910020/

I know the Cap one is somewhere in the Gruenwald massive run.  I'm sure one of you can sort out what number it would be.
The spidey one - that's Stan Lee, John Romita, Don Heck, Larry Lieber, so that would be an early one that I (personally) can skip due to having the omnis.

Enjoy!

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm #12131

I count 54, including 8 Star Wars Epics and 3 digital ones.  I'm not a completest on any of the major lines, though I keep being tempted to do that with Captain America.  I tend to avoid the ones where I have Masterworks or an omnibus, and I skip a lot of the 90's material. 

I too like to "wait for completeness" before I read my Epic's most of the time, so I've only finished 9 of them. 

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 2:57 pm #12132

Rimmer wrote: A few new hatchette sightings, and two new EPICs I've found in there:

I know the Cap one is somewhere in the Gruenwald massive run.  I'm sure one of you can sort out what number it would be.
The spidey one - that's Stan Lee, John Romita, Don Heck, Larry Lieber, so that would be an early one that I (personally) can skip due to having the omnis.

Enjoy!
the Cap volume should be #15.  ASM should be Vol. 3. 

Rimmer
Modern Age
Rimmer
Modern Age

October 13th, 2017, 3:00 pm #12133

Looks like they're also releasing the Brian Reed Ms Marvel run in one of those thick TPB collections like they're doing with all of Bendis' Avengers run, Avengers Initiative and Academy, Agents of Atlas, etc... so that's pretty cool, although them releasing it in that format tells me they're not going to omnibus that material for the Captain Marvel movie.

They're also releasing the Superior Spider-man run in that chunky TPB format as well, it looks like.

PepeOleart
Bronze Age
PepeOleart
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 3:05 pm #12134

Also the quasi-Epic: 
  • Werewolf By Night: The Complete Collection Vol. 3
  • By: Doug Moench, Bill Mantlo, Marv Wolfman, Mark Gruenwald, Yong Motano, Don Perlin, Frank Robbins, Carmine Infantino
  • Illustrated By: Carmine Infantino, Yong Motano, Don Perlin, Frank Robbins
  • Price: $39.99 US/$52.00 CAN

faust33
Bronze Age
faust33
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 3:48 pm #12135

Rimmer wrote: A few new hatchette sightings, and two new EPICs I've found in there:

Enjoy!
Very nice, my collection of the Grue run was very sporadic. I always wanted to read the Bloodstone Hunt, but was missing a few issues. I'll want to wait and read the whole Grue run from start to end though. But at least it doesn't look like it's too far off.

Rimmer
Modern Age
Rimmer
Modern Age

October 13th, 2017, 3:51 pm #12136

faust33 wrote: Very nice, my collection of the Grue run was very sporadic. I always wanted to read the Bloodstone Hunt, but was missing a few issues. I'll want to wait and read the whole Grue run from start to end though. But at least it doesn't look like it's too far off.
Over the summer I read Epics 12-13, and "The Captain" pseduo Epic back to back to back.  It was awesome.  Good luck waiting to get the entire run, that still might be years down the road.  ;-)

PepeOleart
Bronze Age
PepeOleart
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 4:20 pm #12137

So Cap America Epic: The Bloodstone Hunt will cover Cap #351-371 with no Annuals. Any other posible material to be included?

Heathenson
Golden Age
Heathenson
Golden Age

October 13th, 2017, 5:34 pm #12138

At 15+ issues a volume that Werewolf By Night: The Complete Collection Vol. 3 would finish the run up I think. Quick returns on that series. Nice. 

Good to see the Romita era open up with ASM #3. 

Also nice to see more eighties CAP filled in. 496 pages so a big chunk of issues there and some happy hours reading to look forward to. 

SamyMerchi
Golden Age

October 13th, 2017, 5:48 pm #12139

Rimmer wrote:Looks like they're also releasing the Brian Reed Ms Marvel run in one of those thick TPB collections like they're doing with all of Bendis' Avengers run, Avengers Initiative and Academy, Agents of Atlas, etc... so that's pretty cool, although them releasing it in that format tells me they're not going to omnibus that material for the Captain Marvel movie.
I was never expecting them to. While the Reed run is good, there are two obvious runs that are gonna have priority over it -- they will want a DeConnick Omnibus, because it's a woman writer and because she has the same codename as in the movie. I fully expect to see a "Captain Marvel by DeConnick" Omnibus for the movie. Second, I think the original seventies run for the character's first solo series is also going to have priority over Reed. But they're going to want to have as much Carol material out there as possible for the movie, so since the Omni slots are spoken for, it makes sense to put the Reed run out in a different format, and considering its length, fat trades are the second best option after Omnibus to cover that run.

faust33
Bronze Age
faust33
Bronze Age

October 13th, 2017, 6:12 pm #12140

An Epic collection or Complete Collection of the seventies run could be really nice.