To be or not to be - Talking About Bookbinding

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

5:54 PM - Aug 26, 2005 #1

Hi,

I use to have on my personal web site a bulletin board that allowed bookbinding customers to talk about their projects with other like minded people. And people liked it and things were good.

And then spammers attacked the board and crashed my web site and the bulletin board. At the time I thought, well that sucks and put the site back up but not the bulletin board.

Since then I have been asked over and over when am I going to put the board back up. Probably never.

Then I started posting things to the various boards here showing off completed projects for other like minded people to enjoy.

So here is my question.

Would the board members like me to start an ongoing thread here to talk about projects?

The only rule would be I won't conduct business on the thread. We'll just talk about things that have been done and things that are in the works and things that might be possible.

It's Gormuu's board and he had been nice enough to let me show off from time to time so I am not going to screwup a good thing.

So let me know and we'll see what happens.

dpbanks

(Editing for bumpup..Moderatin' 'Muu )

kevin75
Silver Age
kevin75
Silver Age

7:37 PM - Aug 26, 2005 #2

david,

i remember back when you had your board it answered alot of my early questions. i think a board here would be a great idea, with gormuu's permission of course. it's great to see other people's design ideas so i can steal them for my own books.

GaryUK
Bronze Age
GaryUK
Bronze Age

7:57 PM - Aug 26, 2005 #3

I've been enjoying reading about and looking at Ray's and Doc Martin4's experiences with their book binding projects, and would like to see and hear more about other people's experiences as well.

It helps to give pointers and ideas for our own projects should we want to do some of our own. So yes, it's good to have a thread especially showcasing the bookbinding works that you do, David, and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing of other works that have been done, and those that are to come...

I admit I have a rather special project of my own...

8:38 PM - Aug 26, 2005 #4

Quote:
Would the board members like me to start an ongoing thread here to talk about projects?
You've read my mind! After reading about the bookbinding you've done in other threads, I was going to suggest that a section or thread be started about your projects and about bookbinding in general. As a newbie and someone who is becoming interested in the bookbinding process, I think it's a great idea.

Shakma420
Modern Age
Shakma420
Modern Age

9:56 PM - Aug 26, 2005 #5

David, I truly miss the discussion board at your website, so I think it would fit in great on this board. I hope it happens.

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

9:26 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #6

i remember back when you had your board it answered alot of my early questions. i think a board here would be a great idea, with gormuu's permission of course. it's great to see other people's design ideas so i can steal them for my own books.
===============================
Thanks. What amazed me was how much in detail we went into on those boards. Sometimes I thought we were engineering a moon rocket.

It helps to give pointers and ideas for our own projects should we want to do some of our own. So yes, it's good to have a thread especially showcasing the bookbinding works that you do, David, and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing of other works that have been done, and those that are to come...

I admit I have a rather special project of my own...
===============================
Thanks. Besides the projects done by Capitol Bindery, I would like to hear about and see what other Book binders are doing. I remember a recent thread showing work done in the UK. It was very, very nice.

You've read my mind! After reading about the bookbinding you've done in other threads, I was going to suggest that a section or thread be started about your projects and about bookbinding in general. As a newbie and someone who is becoming interested in the bookbinding process, I think it's a great idea.
================================
Thanks. What I would hope is that as a group we can borrow from each other but also help each other work with our own local binders to educate them in the care of getting a project done. When I first started having Capitol do my books in the late 70s they treated them like they were medical journals but slowly the became more sensitive to my concerns about condition, etc.

David, I truly miss the discussion board at your website, so I think it would fit in great on this board. I hope it happens.
================================
Thanks. I hope it happens too and I hope we fit in with the rest of the board. The inspiration for these projects comes from what is being done (and sometimes not done) by Marvel, DC, etc.

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

9:45 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #7

Comic Titles currently in house being bound
==========================
Namor (We do this over and over)
Alpha Flight (We do this over and over)
Y The Last man
Ultimate Fantastic four
Superman (various titles mixed in chronological order)
Zot!
The Invisibles
The Question
The Black Panther (The Priest version, over and over)
Misc. Vertigo titles
Monsters on the Prowl
The Fantastic Four
Magnus Robot Fighter
Front Line Combat
Batman
Detective Comics
Planet of the Apes
Fables
Blue Devil
X-Men (Probably the most bound title we handle, no two customers do it the same way)
Chase
Human Defense Corps
Not Brand Echh (Only the second time we have done this title)
======================
The benefit I get from helping others with their books is that I find out about books I did not know about. Monsters on the Prowl? I was at the store the next day looking for back issues!

christy2002
Bronze Age

11:00 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #8

I really enjoy reading about and seeing some of the projects discussed on this board so I'm all in favour of a new thread. I haven't taken the plunge to have something bound myself yet but I am giving it serious consideration.

HighlandRay
Golden Age

11:10 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #9

I vote a big YES for this thread.

As someone heavily involved in this process and as someone who has or will have binding projects that some people will consider strange, can I ask why someone would want to bind Ultimate Fantasic Four when there is a great and cheap hardcover available. Now I'm not criticizing or trying to poke fun a whoever is doing this, (I wouldn't have a leg to stand on) but why?
Too old to die young

GaryUK
Bronze Age
GaryUK
Bronze Age

11:25 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #10

Quote:
can I ask why someone would want to bind Ultimate Fantasic Four when there is a great and cheap hardcover available.
I may be wrong, but I'm guessing it's because the person prefers the comic sized hardback as opposed to the oversized..?

kevin75
Silver Age
kevin75
Silver Age

11:25 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #11

ray,

i was wondering the same thing myself, but i guess to each their own.

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

11:27 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #12

can I ask why someone would want to bind Ultimate Fantasic Four when there is a great and cheap hardcover available.
===========================
In this case I am the person binding those 20 issues together. Then I am having customized FF character drawings done by these guys...

www.brosfraim.com

From there it becomes a X-Mas present for one of my friends.

Half the fun of this is sharing with someone. Once you put one of these homemade books in someone's hands, it is amazing to see their reactions.

dpbanks

Bolivar Trask
Modern Age

11:55 AM - Aug 27, 2005 #13

Add me to the YES list!

I have several comic and non-comic binding projects I'm thinking about/planning right now, so a comic-binding Think Tank is a GREAT idea!

gormuu
Forum Administrator
gormuu
Forum Administrator

12:00 PM - Aug 27, 2005 #14

Hey...this is MY call, right?

And I say thee.....YEA!

David, if you want to start a thread, that would be great. We could sticky it and go from there. The only thing I worry about is that with so many different topics to discuss, a single thread would get unwieldy for readers, new and old.Visit my website and message board: The Marvel Masterworks Resource Home Page!!!
This forum has a website!

Click this link for the MASTERWORKS HOME PAGE, and don't miss out on the latest news and
release information on the whole scene of collected editions at the CURRENT NEWS page!

TheHistorianII
Modern Age

12:14 PM - Aug 27, 2005 #15

I think this is a great idea. I love seeing the finished work, and it has definitely caused me to consider one or two potential projects.
<br>

Silveragemarvelman
Golden Age

1:41 PM - Aug 27, 2005 #16

Yes,Yes,Yes.

This would be a most interesting thread. I love to see what other folks are doing, planning, etc. with binding. It seems like a natural to me because most of us that come to this board are into collecting hardcovers and trades of material. There is so much that DC and Marvel and others will probably never do or never do "right" in our opinions.

I loved the binding I had done of Amazing World of DC. Seeing it and a couple of the other projects by D.P. and Famac has more that whetted the appetite. It gives you ideas, and I have many plans...just need the bank account to catch up for them! Until and even during that time, it will be nice to read/see other projects unfolding.

12:49 AM - Aug 28, 2005 #17

Quote:
Originally posted by Gormuu:
David, if you want to start a thread, that would be great. We could sticky it and go from there. The only thing I worry about is that with so many different topics to discuss, a single thread would get unwieldy for readers, new and old.
If you're concerned with a single thread becoming too scattershot, is it any kind of idea to create a new forum devoted to the topic and let David moderate it?_____________________________________________
Proud member of MoCCA, the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art in New York City!

HighlandRay
Golden Age

6:47 AM - Aug 28, 2005 #18

Quote:
Half the fun of this is sharing with someone. Once you put one of these homemade books in someone's hands, it is amazing to see their reactions.
As someone who has witnessed your generousity first hand, I must say that you are a one off. I'm not say which one you are a one off, but you are definately a one off.
Too old to die young

HighlandRay
Golden Age

9:02 AM - Aug 28, 2005 #19

Quote:
David, if you want to start a thread, that would be great. We could sticky it and go from there. The only thing I worry about is that with so many different topics to discuss, a single thread would get unwieldy for readers, new and old.

What about giving Book Binding it's own Forum with indididual threads for different projects?
Too old to die young

Shakma420
Modern Age
Shakma420
Modern Age

9:30 AM - Aug 28, 2005 #20

I think the idea of a forum on Bookbinding is a great one!! That would allow for seperate threads for potential projects, David could post pics of newly bound volumes, etc. Great idea!!