Golden Age

8:57 AM - Oct 01, 2005 #81

Quote:
RaylandHigh
Too old to die young

Silveragemarvelman
Golden Age

9:26 AM - Oct 01, 2005 #82

Indefatigable Fjor, I am jealous! What a beaut. I must have that series bound. Doesn't look like Marvel is going to anytime soon.

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

1:12 PM - Oct 02, 2005 #83

Hi,

I was asked today if I ever used other bookbinders. No, not really I said but I do experiment from time to time. Here is an example done by Houchen Bindery ([url=http://www.houchenbindery.com).]www.houchenbindery.com).[/url] It is New Mutants 1-25.

At first glance it looks like any other book I have made.

But they do things different there. This was hand sewn with the threads going through the crease of the comic rather than the sides. Then it was not trimmed in any fashion.

The result was a little loosey goosey for my tastes. The cover felt lightweight and cheap. The stamping was muddy.

But you can open each comic in this book like it was a comic by itself. And you could take this apart and get back your individual comics if you knew what you were doing.

So I say to each their own.

dpbanks

HighlandRay
Golden Age

1:17 PM - Oct 02, 2005 #84

I have to say to any who have concerns about the side stitching done by Capital via David that I have never felt that any important information was missing or unreadable.
Too old to die young

Indefatigable Fjor
Golden Age

5:14 PM - Oct 02, 2005 #85

I initially had come concerns (as I picked up all "reader" copies of NBE as cheaply as possible on eBay) as to how it would look bound - here's what I've discovered:

* dp & cb did such a great job that the issues appear to be in better condition than before I sent 'em!

* the occasional crease, tear, discoloration, etc actually ADD to the charm of the book, giving it the feel of an old revered classic

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

5:23 PM - Oct 02, 2005 #86

Hi,

Earlier in this thread I had posted pencils of an experimental dustjacket that a binding client was working on. Here is the finished product.

dpbanks

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

5:25 PM - Oct 02, 2005 #87

* dp & cb did such a great job that the issues appear to be in better condition than before I sent 'em!

======================
The slight trim is what does it. A 1/16 of an inch is removed and amazingly the whole book seems crisp and flat.

dpbanks

Shakma420
Modern Age
Shakma420
Modern Age

7:26 AM - Oct 05, 2005 #88

That dustjacket is amazing!! I am really impressed by the way that turned out.

10:15 AM - Jul 18, 2006 #89

David, I can't remember if I ever did reply to your questions about sewing. Anyway apologies if I did. We have several Oversewing machines to sew book blocks that are made up of individual pages and not gathered and folded sections of folios.

For soft bound books that customers would like to have sewn rather than perfect bound then yes we would always have to Oversew the pages together to form the book block. Otherwise, we would usually re-perfect bind the book using a cold flexible PVA applied by brush or roller using the double fan adhesive binding method.

Normally, the usual thickness of comic parts allows us to section sew on Martini continuous all along sewing machines. Very thick sections or indeed very thin sections of only 8 printed pages of very thin paper can cause problems with oversewing but we usually cope well with these and a little tender loving care in the sewing process.

Charles Dunn
Blissett Bookbinders, UK
www.blissetts.com

Schatzie
Bronze Age
Schatzie
Bronze Age

12:19 PM - Mar 25, 2007 #90

ok, that is strange....my message posted in the wrong thread twice!

riftt
Silver Age
riftt
Silver Age

7:49 PM - Apr 09, 2007 #91

I had a question - how do "gimmick covers" work in bound volumes? DO any of you have bounds books with chromium, embossed, foil, etc covers or covers mard from harder cardboard stock? Do they mess up the feel or layout of the book?

comicsatemybrain
Golden Age

7:33 PM - Apr 11, 2007 #92

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I'm actively considering taking the plunge, but some of the things I would consider binding have cardstock or a stiffer paper grade than regular books. I know that the binding can be done by simply not including the covers, but that just feels... well, much more wrong than binding the books in the first place.

Seth Vatt
Modern Age
Seth Vatt
Modern Age

3:12 AM - Apr 12, 2007 #93

Yep, card stock covers work ok as long as they are sporadic (not every other issue).

9:36 AM - May 09, 2008 #94

No real problems.

When I had my Byrne She-Hulk bound, issue #50 had a cardstock foil cover, and there were no issues with it at all. It's just another page.

mate64
mate64

1:33 PM - May 26, 2011 #95

I would like to purchase one of your collections.thanos quest all 7. How much?