GaryUK
Bronze Age
GaryUK
Bronze Age

9:55 AM - Aug 28, 2005 #21

I too like the idea of a Book Binding Forum... This particular thread is the first I look to when I visit this Forum at the moment...

10:00 AM - Aug 28, 2005 #22

What about a D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) forum where bookbinding and famac-style scanning/restoration and coinboy,etc-style dustjacket reproduction and shelfbuilding and such are discussed. That would rock the house.

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

12:19 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #23

I have several comic and non-comic binding projects I'm thinking about/planning right now, so a comic-binding Think Tank is a GREAT idea!
==================
Thanks. I like the Think Tank name. It should be a place to share ideas and show off results.

Hey...this is MY call, right?

And I say thee.....YEA!

David, if you want to start a thread, that would be great. We could sticky it and go from there. The only thing I worry about is that with so many different topics to discuss, a single thread would get unwieldy for readers, new and old.
================
Thanks Gormuu! I will email you offline with questions about details and some of my concerns about bandwidth. I don't want to get in your pocket with this.

I think this is a great idea. I love seeing the finished work, and it has definitely caused me to consider one or two potential projects.
==================
I agree. To me the best part is seeing the finished item.

This would be a most interesting thread. I love to see what other folks are doing, planning, etc. with binding. It seems like a natural to me because most of us that come to this board are into collecting hardcovers and trades of material. There is so much that DC and Marvel and others will probably never do or never do "right" in our opinions.
===================
I agree. I actually look to Marvel and DC for inspiration when considering what my next project will be. Both are cranking out so much material that I feel I am in hardcover heaven. But there is still enough room on the book shelf for some custom projects of my own design.

If you're concerned with a single thread becoming too scattershot, is it any kind of idea to create a new forum devoted to the topic and let David moderate it?
===================
What about giving Book Binding it's own Forum with individual threads for different projects?
====================
Thank you for suggesting that. I want to work out with Gormuu what would work best for the overall boards and what would not get in his pocket financially.

As someone who has witnessed your generousity first hand, I must say that you are a one off. I'm not say which one you are a one off, but you are definitely a one off.
===================
Last year I gave away 20 custom made books for X-mas. This year my goal is 50 books. This year I am really mixing it up. Some books will have custom cover stamps, others will have custom art added to the volume and so forth.

I think the idea of a forum on Bookbinding is a great one!! That would allow for seperate threads for potential projects, David could post pics of newly bound volumes, etc. Great idea!!
================
I am worried about bandwidth and this will be a detail that I have to work out with Gormuu.

I too like the idea of a Book Binding Forum... This particular thread is the first I look to when I visit this Forum at the moment...
==========
Thanks!

What about a D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) forum where bookbinding and famac-style scanning/restoration and coinboy,etc-style dustjacket reproduction and shelfbuilding and such are discussed. That would rock the house.
==================
I am not sure about this. While I like doing this myself and have never had comments by Marvel and DC expressing any problem with it I have had a rash of emails from self styled attorney types who inform me I am in big troubleyet every one of them would like a copy for themselves. And are mad when I don't have a copy to share with them. Strange. So for now I am not discussing my D.I.Y. projects online.

Silveragemarvelman
Golden Age

1:06 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #24

"I like the Think Tank name"

Ok, that works practicaly speaking, but what about "Bound For Glory". --Of course, I have a slight cornball side. But whatever it is called, I will click in regularly.

DavidSpofforth
Bronze Age

1:51 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #25

Hi all,

Just been pointed this way by David so I can share my binding experiences here.

To recap:

Longtime Captain Britain fan. I collected his weekly comic back when I was a kiddie. I still have my original issues but they are not in too good a shape. I read them to death and they look it. I figure that I'm good with Photoshop and I had access to a colour laser printer at work so I start scanning and printing the Captain Britain series.

It takes me a year because every page needed restoration work, repairing tears, filling in holes and removing the yellow colour cast on the pages. Not to mention working late at night to print the pages after the office had emptied.

I do some online research to find book binding companies in London and come across Blissett book binders in Acton, West London, established in the 1920s. They were only too happy to bind the pages into two volumes.

Volume 1 contained Captain Britain 1-39 and Super Spider-man 231-232 (those two issues finishing off the previous storyline).

Volume 2 contained Super Spider-man 233-247, Marvel Team-Up 65-66 and the Black Knight strip in Hulk Comic.

Those volumes I created dust jackets for, with spines that matched the Masterworks design.

Then I start reading about all the wonderful comic binding threads on this site from David and Highland Ray and decide I want a piece of the action.

I want quality work, but I can't really afford to post heavy piles of comics to David. So I see whether Blissetts will do a good enough job for me. I test them out with Marvel: The Lost Generation, figuring that if they make a right pigs ear of it, it wouldn't be a hassle buying the comics again.

Basically they did a great job and I give them two more books. The complete Warlock and a volume featuring the 12 issues of Saga of the Sub-Mariner along with the 4 issues of Saga of the Original Human Torch.

For the Lost Gen volume I had gold lettering on the cover but I opted for plain covers for the others. I printed out scans of one of the comic covers for each volume and mounted them with spray mount. Didn't look quite right so I bought some gold ribbon - the stuff you buy in gift shops for present wrapping and glued it around the cover scan forming a wonderful gold border.

Currently I have two volumes of the White-Suit Wonder Woman series of the late 60s being bound in white cloth covers.
What I am wondering is whether I can take advantage of the white binding to put an illustration on the cover via iron-on transfer?

Series I want to have bound in the future is:

Eternals
Thor: The Celestial Saga (283-301, Annual 7)
Thor by Walt Simonson (binding the three TPBs together)
Thor by Simonson 2 (binding 370-382)
The Defenders (4 volumes, including the prototype stories, Marvel Feature, GS Defenders 1-5, Defenders 1-41, Annual 1)
Invaders (3 or 4 volumes - I'm waiting for GS Invaders 2 before doing this)
Master of Kung Fu (2 vols up to issue 50 - still missing a few issues)
Captain Marvel (not sure how to best map this yet as I want to include the Kree-Skrull War and have the complete Thanos saga in one volume)
Generations 1&2 (both series amalgamated chronologically)
Generations 3
Iron Man (30 odd volumes from Suspense 39 to present day)

The one thing that might cause trouble is the 1970s square bound format of the Giant Size issues and Annuals. My binder is doing one extra project for me that includes one Giant Size issue and he's a bit concerned that their machine might not work so well with the very thin 8 page sections that comprise one of those issues.

How have other people handled binding in those Giant Size issues?

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

2:05 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #26

"I like the Think Tank name"

Ok, that works practicaly speaking, but what about "Bound For Glory". --Of course, I have a slight cornball side. But whatever it is called, I will click in regularly.
=======================
I'd have to say "bound for glory" seems more to the point.

But we're still a "think tank" of ideas and techniques.

dpbanks

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

2:11 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #27

I do some online research to find book binding companies in London and come across Blissett book binders in Acton, West London, established in the 1920s.
========================
Blissett's does great work!

You should check these guys out online. The have the best Bookbinding web site I have ever seen.

dpbanks

Porlock
Modern Age
Porlock
Modern Age

6:40 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #28

David, what kind of prices do they charge?

6:51 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #29

Quote:
Originally posted by M Yo:
coinboy,etc-style dustjacket reproduction
And what exactly is a "coinboy style dust jacket"?_____________________________________________
Proud member of MoCCA, the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art in New York City!

DavidSpofforth
Bronze Age

7:42 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #30

They charged me 16 per volume, although there is a minimum fee of 25 per job. (ie 25 for one book, 16 each for two or more books).

That doesn't include postage of course, because I go there in person.

Very Crazy Penguin
Modern Age

9:36 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #31

Hey David Banks, is it possible to have a slipcase that fits two books, if so then how much would the slipcase cost? How much extra do those ribbon bookmarks cost?

Would 3 annuals, 1 regular issue, 3 stapled prestige-esque comics and 1 non-stapled forty-eight page one-shot/OGN be too small for one book?

Also, how do you deal with wraparound covers (ie, when the front and back cover of a stapled comic form one image)?

Thanks!
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja!...
Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

gormuu
Forum Administrator
gormuu
Forum Administrator

9:49 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #32

I'll be talking to David about this idea over the next couple days. We'll see if we can't hash something out. Visit my website and message board: The Marvel Masterworks Resource Home Page!!!
This forum has a website!

Click this link for the MASTERWORKS HOME PAGE, and don't miss out on the latest news and
release information on the whole scene of collected editions at the CURRENT NEWS page!

9:56 PM - Aug 28, 2005 #33

Hi David,

I can't wait to be able to post something about my binding project for HERO.

I hope this turns into a mini forum here at the masterworks boards. Gormuu, have you ever thought about taking donations to help support the site traffic? I would be willing to kick in $5 or $10 every now and again.

John

12:48 AM - Aug 29, 2005 #34

coinboy, weren't you the one making the Comicraft covers for DC characters? Or am I thinking of someone else?

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

1:02 PM - Aug 29, 2005 #35

Hey David Banks, is it possible to have a slipcase that fits two books, if so then how much would the slipcase cost? How much extra do those ribbon bookmarks cost?
==================
Please contact me off line with pricing questions at dpbanks@earthlink.net
==================

Would 3 annuals, 1 regular issue, 3 stapled prestige-esque comics and 1 non-stapled forty-eight page one-shot/OGN be too small for one book?
==================
That would work just fine.
==================

Also, how do you deal with wraparound covers (ie, when the front and back cover of a stapled comic form one image)?
===================
A couple of different ways. I'll post pictures later tonight.

dpbanks

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

6:37 AM - Aug 30, 2005 #36

Here is one way we handle wrap around covers. The back cover is pulled to the front before sewing.

www.dpbanks.com/example.jpg

dpbanks

12:39 PM - Aug 30, 2005 #37

David,

Over the years I've come across library editions of paperbacks that seem to have had the entire cover (even the spine) laminated, instead of just having the original front cover affixed on top. As a matter of fact, there is a copy of Essential Hulk in a local library that was done up that way. I kind of prefer that since it preserves the whole cover, but I imagine it's a more labor intensive process and would probably cost more. Is that the case? And is Capitol Bindery equipped to do projects like those? Thank you for your time.

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

12:54 PM - Aug 30, 2005 #38

Over the years I've come across library editions of paperbacks that seem to have had the entire cover (even the spine) laminated, instead of just having the original front cover affixed on top. As a matter of fact, there is a copy of Essential Hulk in a local library that was done up that way. I kind of prefer that since it preserves the whole cover, but I imagine it's a more labor intensive process and would probably cost more. Is that the case?
=============
Sorry I have had no experience with what you describe.
=============

And is Capitol Bindery equipped to do projects like those?
=============
I don't think so, but aI will ask when I am down there Wednesday.
=============
Thank you for your time.

===============
No problem.

dpbanks

12:10 AM - Aug 31, 2005 #39

Quote:
coinboy, weren't you the one making the Comicraft covers for DC characters?
No.
Quote:
Or am I thinking of someone else?
You must be thinking of someone else.
Quote:
Originally recorded by Chuck Berry:
It wasn't me, baby, no it wasn't me, baby.
It must have been some other body, uh uh, baby, it wasn't me

Said he was cold, tired and hungry, came a'beggin' for bread;
The lady took him and fed him breakfast in bed.
It wasn't me, Boss, it wasn't me, it wasn't me.
It must have been some other body, uh uh, Boss, it wasn't me.

You say you saw my car parked in the drive-in one night;
Came over to speak to me, I was out of sight
I wasn't me, baby, uh uh, baby, it wasn't me
It must have been some other body, uh uh, baby, it wasn't me

He was a shrewd young whipper snapper, love to run and play;
But the draft got him, they inducted him today
It wasn't me, Sarge, uh uh, Sarge, it wasn't me
It must have been some other body, uh uh, Sarge, it wasn't me

I met a German girl in England who was goin' to school in France
Said we danced in Mississippi at an Alpha Kappa dance
It wasn't me, Officer, no, Officer, it wasn't me
It must have been some other body, uh uh, Officer, it wasn't me

Wailing down the freeway, testing out the cruisin' power;
State trooper trailing, clocked him ninety miles per hour
It wasn't me, Sheriff; Uh uh, Sheriff, it wasn't me
It must have been some other body, uh uh, Sheriff, it wasn't me

Calling for brave young soldiers, needed on the front row;
Lieutenant said, "which one of y'all volunteer to go?"
It wasn't me, Captain, uh uh, Captain, it wasn't me
It must have been some other body, uh uh, Captain, it wasn't me

dpbanks
Modern Age
dpbanks
Modern Age

1:14 PM - Sep 03, 2005 #40

p206.ezboard.com/fmarvelm...4310.topic

Over at this thread I am showing step by step photos of an ongoing project for Highlandray.

dpbanks