srca1941
Silver Age
srca1941
Silver Age

9:33 PM - Mar 22, 2018 #21

So that I can get an idea of where I'm going with the post-Crisis Omnis, here is a list of potential lines. It's not EVERYTHING, but it is all of the main DC titles up to roughly 2000 that I'm either familiar with or think need to be included. If there is something important that you think I have missed, please let me know. For now I'm not going to worry about too much after 2000 because that is about the start of the Collected Editions era and much of the important material has already been collected in some form or another. I do not have any plans to map most Vertigo, Wildstorm, or other imprint titles (Helix, Paradox Press) since I never collected any of them, and for now will probably not map Milestone (but those books are more likely than Vertigo and the others). I'm also leaving out (for now) TV titles like Batman Adventures or The Adventures of Superboy.

Two notations to be aware of:

* - Indicates a title that I don't own much/any of and thus don't have much knowledge of.
** - Indicates a title that I either own but haven't read much of, or am still in the process of collecting and thus don't have much knowledge of.

Action Comics Weekly (The strips that would have no other home such as Deadman, Wild Dog, and Secret Six)
All-Star Squadron
Animal Man*
Aquaman**
Azrael**
Batgirl
Batman (includes the main titles, probably just up through NML to start)
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight**
Batman specials and mini-series**
Birds of Prey
Black Canary
Blackhawk**
Bloodlines/New Blood
Blue Beetle
Blue Devil
Booster Gold
Captain Atom
Catwoman**
Challengers of the Unknown
Checkmate**
Damage
Darkstars*
DC Crossovers (all of the annual company events individually collected with some or all of their tie-ins)
DC Showcase - A possible catch-all for characters who only had short runs, mini-series, etc. that don't fit into a larger series.
Deathstroke*
The Demon*
Dr. Fate**
Eclipso*
Extreme Justice
Flash
Green Arrow**
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: Mosaic
Guy Gardner
Hawk and Dove**
Hawkman/Hawkworld**
Hex*
Hitman*
Hourman
The Huntress*
Impulse
Infinity Inc.**
Justice League International/America/Europe/Task Force
Justice League: Solo (Short runs, mini-series and specials featuring members of the Justice League such as Black Condor, Aztek, Metamorpho, and Zatana)
Justice Society of America
JLA
JLA specials and mini-series
JSA (probably won't be mapped for a while because it's been pretty well reprinted and on the cusp of the 2000 cut-off)
L.E.G.I.O.N. / R.E.B.E.L.S.*
Legion of Super-Heroes/Legionnaires** (I have most of them, but I'm still reading pre-Crisis so I'm not very familiar with the content yet)
Lobo*
Martian Manhunter**
Metal Men (This would mostly be guest-starring roles in other series, but I don't know yet if there is enough for a decent Omnibus or not.)
Mr. Miracle**
New Gods/Fourth World**
New Guardians* (Will likely be combined with Millennium)
New Teen Titans/New Titans
Nightwing
Omega Men*
The Outsiders**
The Power Company
The Question*
The Ray
Resurrection Man**
Robin
Secret Origins
The Spectre**
Starman (Jack Knight)
Suicide Squad*
Swamp Thing*
Team Titans
Teen Titans vol.2 (Jurgens)
The Titans
Valor
Vigilante**
Wonder Woman**
World's Finest
Young All-Stars
Young Justice

-Eric

TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Golden Age

11:13 PM - Mar 23, 2018 #22

What about ROY RAYMOND who began in 1949 and had great artwork by RUBEN MOREIRA? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Raymond_(comics)   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruben_Moreira   
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian

The Monongahela River, Turtle Island

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/ToddTamanendClark 

srca1941
Silver Age
srca1941
Silver Age

12:37 AM - Mar 24, 2018 #23

Roy Raymond is in my 3 volume "Golden Age Men of Action" series with Johnny Peril, Danger Trail/King Faraday, Manhunters Around the World, and Captain Compass. The thinking is that the combination of similar action/detective characters, who were often back-up features, would be more of a draw and thus more likely to see print. Not that it's likely DC will ever get around to reprinting of these features unfortunately. Still, one can dream...

-Eric

GreenMeerkat
Bronze Age

7:29 AM - Mar 28, 2018 #24

I've spent way too long gazing at your mappings with wishes in my heart.  Thanks for all this work and very happy to hear you're adding more eras to the list.

srca1941
Silver Age
srca1941
Silver Age

12:30 PM - Mar 28, 2018 #25

You're welcome, and thank you and everyone else for the fine compliments.

I've finally figured out what to do with Batman. I'll tackle the harder mapping method now since a) I prefer it slightly and b) the other way (by title) will be easier to redo if DC ends up going in that direction. The way I'm mapping is as close to chronologically for the character as possible using the three main monthly books. Legends of the Dark Knight is separate. Flashback stories like Year One are reprinted in published chronological order (ie. after Batman #401-403 and Detective #568-570) and unlike Superman, I'm only including specials and mini-series (other than annuals) if they meet one or more of these requirements:

1) It ties directly into the continuity of the monthly books before it, contemporary to it, or in the future.
2) It is produced by someone/a team working on the monthly books. (Chuck Dixon is something of an exception though since he seems to have done a number of the minis that otherwise wouldn't make the cut.)
3) It ties into another special or mini-series that meets one of the other two requirements.

All other non-Elseworlds specials or mini-series will be collected in a separate Omnibus series. That said, here are the exceptions I have chosen so far for the period leading up to Knightfall. Let me know if anything else should be added:

Batman: Son of the Demon
Batgirl Special #1
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman: Bride of the Demon
Batman: Full Circle
Batman: Birth of the Demon
Batman: Sword of Azrael  - Why this isn't in Knightfall, I don't know. Page count could be the only reason.

I still have more to do before I post the maps. I'm at Knightfall now and want to work up through No Man's Land. Leading up to Knightfall should be 6 volumes of Batman, Detective Comics, and Batman: Shadow of the Bat.

-Eric

TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Golden Age

2:01 PM - Mar 29, 2018 #26

I am opposed to the idea of combining multiple characters into one series of omnibuses!  

Each character should have her or his own line, even if the volumes have less pages than usual.  
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian

The Monongahela River, Turtle Island

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/ToddTamanendClark 

quincyjb1
Modern Age
quincyjb1
Modern Age

8:19 PM - Apr 04, 2018 #27

I used to hate the idea of combining multiple chars in one volume, but as I re-read the JSA All-Stars archive volume, I realized that I enjoyed the strips more if I skipped around within the volume.

srca1941
Silver Age
srca1941
Silver Age

10:05 AM - Apr 05, 2018 #28

Personally, I like either way. However, one of my goals is to try and figure out the most likely way DC would publish these if they were to ever get so deep into their library. I think for some characters, that is as combinations or groups. Some of these are paired for page count (as I said, it's more economical for us if two or more features can be combined as long as the pairing makes sense), others are paired for quality or name recognition (or lack thereof). Something like the Golden Age Atom would probably be a tougher sell than, say,  Sandman or Dr. Fate. The artwork for much of the run is lackluster to poor, the stories are decent but short, and it just makes more sense to capitalize on his JSA affiliation.

The superheroes are the easiest/most logical ones to pair. Most of DC's I was able to do by either shared team or title. The rest, thankfully, fit into a single series. Quality was similar, but has a much longer "all of the rest" series with some really short runs (just one or two stories in a few cases). Fawcett had the most trouble because I don't feel like the characters have nearly the same name recognition in the DCU even though a number of features have both the length and quality to justify solo books. (Those that I've combined for "America's Greatest Comics." - Detailed map still forthcoming...)

My "Golden Age Men of Action" and "Golden Age Men of Adventure" series are little more subjective however. With Men of Action I wanted to combine all of the misc. action/adventure series from the late Golden Age anthology titles. Of the two series, this probably makes the most sense because it is all-encompassing for DC's line. Those that it doesn't cover can either be reprinted on their own (Congo Bill) or are part of a genre anthology like one of the westerns that can be reprinted by title. Men of Adventure on the other hand is selective in it's focus, taking only the longest and arguably "most popular" genre series from the early Golden Age. There are plenty of others though that get left out. Hop Harrigan could possibly stand on its own as a done-in-one based on its merits and Slam Bradley (2 vol. solo) has a slim chance being a Siegel and Shuster effort. The others have almost zero chance of reprinting. I have planned on an Action Comics Omnibus, Detective Comics Omnibus, etc. for all of the leftovers. The 1930s material would probably sell as a curiosity, but somehow big books of marginal back-up material from the early '40s when superheroes were taking over seems less interesting.

-Eric

quincyjb1
Modern Age
quincyjb1
Modern Age

8:25 AM - Apr 10, 2018 #29

srca1941 wrote:  Quality was similar, but has a much longer "all of the rest" series with some really short runs (just one or two stories in a few cases). Fawcett had the most trouble because I don't feel like the characters have nearly the same name recognition in the DCU even though a number of features have both the length and quality to justify solo books. (Those that I've combined for "America's Greatest Comics." - Detailed map still forthcoming...)
Cheers to the glorious day that DC decides to reprint more of the Quality and Fawcett stories, soon may it come.  Other than the Shazam! family and Kid Eternity, has DC reprinted more than a single story of any Quality or Fawcett feature?  Off the top of my head, I can only remember single reprints of The Ray, Black Condor, and Phantom Lady, though there must have been others back in the 100 page era.

Actually, that question would probably be better as a separate thread.  "DC reprints of non-DC comics" or similar.  After posting my question, I remembered the Millennium Editions of Police Comics #1 and Military Comics #1.  And Mike's index lists Whiz Comics #2 also.

srca1941
Silver Age
srca1941
Silver Age

12:19 PM - Apr 10, 2018 #30

Well, of course, there have been multiple Plastic Man and Blackhawk stories reprinted. I think that there were at least a couple of Doll Man stories reprinted in the 100-Page Super Spectaculars and Wanted. Captain Triumph had at least one story reprinted, maybe a couple. (Which is odd, since I don't think he was ever actually used in a new story...)

-Eric

quincyjb1
Modern Age
quincyjb1
Modern Age

8:55 AM - Apr 16, 2018 #31

srca1941 wrote: Well, of course, there have been multiple Plastic Man and Blackhawk stories reprinted. I think that there were at least a couple of Doll Man stories reprinted in the 100-Page Super Spectaculars and Wanted. Captain Triumph had at least one story reprinted, maybe a couple. (Which is odd, since I don't think he was ever actually used in a new story...)

-Eric
I suspect that DC's interest in reprinting Quality and Fawcett material is low, at best.  Fans are lucky that many of the Quality and Fawcett books can be found online if  one is willing to look for them.

DC made an intelligent move during the archives program and started reprinting the strips that enjoyed the most celebrated artwork.  Reed Crandall in Blackhawk, Mac Raboy in Capt. Marvel Jr., and Jack Cole in Plastic Man.  They also tried the Captain Marvel series which had famously given Superman a run for its money in the Golden Age.  Sadly, this material seems abandoned now.  I wonder if DC might eventually try to capitalize on this material with digital publications of some sort.

hixon23
Silver Age
hixon23
Silver Age

10:44 AM - Apr 21, 2018 #32

I'm expecting some Captain marvel goodness next year- due to the film being released.

GreenMeerkat
Bronze Age

3:29 AM - Apr 26, 2018 #33

With the film announcement around Blackhawks I'm hoping some of these books get realised.  I must say, I had no idea they had so much material!  Apart from the post crisis stuff, I don't believe I've read a single issue of Blackhawk.

srca1941
Silver Age
srca1941
Silver Age

6:30 PM - Apr 28, 2018 #34

My first batch of post-Crisis Batman maps have gone up, mapping the series up to No Man's Land. That should itself be two volumes and then I'll continue on through Bruce Wayne: Fugitive which should be a pretty good stopping point for the time being since it is roughly concurrent with the end of the first Catwoman and Azrael series and the departure of Chuck Dixon. This is perhaps the biggest guesswork I've done for a series map since there are multiple ways DC could go with it. This particular one just seemed the most logical to me. (See a few posts up for my "rules" in creating it.)

The biggest problem, oddly enough, are the books which are already out, the Knightfall trilogy. As currently published, the Omnis don't fully work as a full series collection since they skip over annuals (the Bloodlines ones actually tied-in), the Zero Hour books (which provided some aftermath and the start of Prodigal in Robin) and then skipped ahead to later stories with Nightwing: Alfred's Return and Vengeance of Bane II. I went ahead and kept Nightwing out of order since it provides closure to the story and doesn't have to fit into a particular place between monthly books, just somewhere after Prodigal and before Alfred shows up again.

-Eric

jlaavenger
Modern Age
jlaavenger
Modern Age

1:05 AM - May 25, 2018 #35

So i was looking at the covers of the Flash issues that would be included in tge Green Lantern bronze age omnibus and where a Flash issue is skipped instead of a Green Lantern back up story it looks like Green Lantern actually guest stars in a full Flash story. So would you include these issues in the Bronze age Green Lantern omnibus? And are any of these Green Lantern appearances continuations from the previous Green Lantern back up story? I really hope we get Bronze Age Green Lantern, Flash and Green Arrow/Black Canary omnibus collections next year.

hixon23
Silver Age
hixon23
Silver Age

12:58 PM - Jun 14, 2018 #36

I wouldn't include it unless it was pertinent to the GL series. Guest appearances don't count. IMO

VisualFiction
Golden Age

4:46 PM - Jun 22, 2018 #37

Need the Spectre/Fate Om, the GA Hawkman Om, and everything in the three Fawcett Om lines.

In a fantasy world where DC is actually publishing Fawcett Oms, I wonder if they'd reprint "Monster Society of Evil" again as part of the Oms or skip it. My guess is they'd include it in the Om.

I'd say GA Aquaman but since it was cancelled I won't go there. Settle for SA Aquaman.

The other SA lines I want asap are Spectre and Hawkman. With Flash, Green Lantern, and JLA going so strong, I'd think Hawkman would be next in line and they've already got a lot of it done via Archives.

buddybeat
Modern Age
buddybeat
Modern Age

6:29 PM - Jun 22, 2018 #38

so just a quick ebay and Amazon check - recent actually sold auctions with bidders have the Golden Age Spectre Archives going repeatedly in the $75-80 range, and Amazon showing $90 for a used - and the Silver-Bronze Showcase Presents The Spectre in the $45-50 range on ebay and $95(!) on Amazon.  Spectre has pent up demand, DC!!!

quincyjb1
Modern Age
quincyjb1
Modern Age

8:41 AM - Jun 23, 2018 #39

buddybeat wrote: so just a quick ebay and Amazon check - recent actually sold auctions with bidders have the Golden Age Spectre Archives going repeatedly in the $75-80 range, and Amazon showing $90 for a used - and the Silver-Bronze Showcase Presents The Spectre in the $45-50 range on ebay and $95(!) on Amazon.  Spectre has pent up demand, DC!!!
I was just about to post this.  A few days back I lost out on a Spectre Archives for about $90 on eBay.  Then I saw the Showcase also sells for inflated prices.  Then I checked the tpb Wrath of the Spectre reprinting the 1970s Adventure Comics stories and that looks like it sells for $30 - $45 (its cover price was 20).

Give us some Spectre, DC!  How about an omnibus of the full Golden Age, even the stories not covered by the archive?  Or a combined SA/BA omnibus, covering the same ground as the Showcase volume but in full glorious (or is that gorey-ous?) color?

VisualFiction
Golden Age

10:29 AM - Jun 23, 2018 #40

Re: Spectre...the SA is the most frustrating because you just can't get it in color.

Has anyone mapped what a Spectre Om would look like if it didn't include Dr. Fate as srca1941 posited? (Thankfully the Dr. Fate Archive was done-in-one.)

I'm thinking if Fate is left out, they might be able to get the twelve Silver issues in there with the Golden?

Then we can see about an Aparo Deluxe Edition, a Moench/GNCLN Om, and a couple Ostrander/Mandrake Oms.

Why is there no Spectre film or TV series in development yet? Seems like such a no-brainer. The Constantine version was at least something even if he didn't look like Corrigan. But it needs to be somewhere where they're allowed to be horrific...not going to work on the CW.

Unless there's a dedicated Specs Team around him to help prosecute his holy cause.