The Amazing Spider-man Newspaper collection

Milamber
Modern Age
Milamber
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 8:13 am #1

Did anyone get this? Got mine in the mail and it looks amazing.....

Done the proper way and the Sunday are in color, not an expert of pixels but the image looks sharp to my old eyes.

Raro RLDD
Bronze Age
Raro RLDD
Bronze Age

June 10th, 2015, 8:21 am #2

I have the older German version from Panini, but I couldn't resist, because of the size of this really great book.

dcmarvelnut
Bronze Age

June 10th, 2015, 8:59 am #3

Got mine and it looks good to me.
Looks nice with the Tarzans and Supermans and Batmans .

amuenzler
Modern Age
amuenzler
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 9:31 am #4

Mine arrives today. I can't wait to crack it open. Those images above look great!

Jordo
Modern Age
Jordo
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 9:54 am #5

So what's the deal with the newspaper comics? Are they "canon"? Are they new stories, or the same as the comics? Are they referenced in the regular monthly books?

iamotdeadyet
Bronze Age

June 10th, 2015, 11:04 am #6

Thanks for the images. I will buy it soon. I've got the HC version and this one looks much much better.

JeffDyer
Modern Age
JeffDyer
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 11:26 am #7

Got mine last week...it's great!! Like discovering "new" Lee-Romita Spidey as I've never read them before. Anyone know how many volumes IDW is planning? Spidey is still in papers, right? But they will probably only collect the Lee-Romita run?
Jeff

DrDoombot
Silver Age
DrDoombot
Silver Age

June 10th, 2015, 11:57 am #8

Mine is on the slow boat to Latveria.

Paul Denham
Modern Age
Paul Denham
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 12:20 pm #9

JeffDyer wrote:
Got mine last week...it's great!! Like discovering "new" Lee-Romita Spidey as I've never read them before. Anyone know how many volumes IDW is planning? Spidey is still in papers, right? But they will probably only collect the Lee-Romita run?
Jeff
Got mine yesterday and had the same reaction. Really wonderful to see these again after all these years. Was tempted many, many times to throw the older Marvel collections into an order but resisted. Finally, payoff!

The majority of the book looks EXCELLENT, shot from proofs or other HQ stats.
It's only scattered strips (including some Sundays) here and there that you can tell are from less than pristine sources. Easiest way to tell is to look at the word balloons. The hand lettering on the prime material fills the balloons with only a tiny margin. The lower quality sources have a smaller, most likely computer hand lettered font with a lot more negative space in the balloons. You can see the differences on pages 238 and 239- the prime strips are the first strip of each page, the lower quality are the other two. Even with the inferior sources from some strips, the overall impression of the book flipping through it is very high.

Great job as always by IDW. I'll be in for at least the next volume (not sure Romita continued much past that, if at all)

Peter Parker
Modern Age
Peter Parker
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 4:26 pm #10

Thanks for posting, Milamber.sjcteam. I will have to cancel and re-order my copy from Amazon because I had paired up the order with an item that will be released in September, and they aren't appearing to split-ship this time.

I noticed the computer font in the Marvel editions of this material. I wonder why they couldn't access sources that contained Irv Wantanbe's lettering? The two-volume 1980 Pocket Books reprints contained all the original lettering.

I hope that the classic years of this strip are collected. I would also like to see the Incredible Hulk strip collected. Larry Lieber, Ernie Chan, Joe Sinnott, Rich Buckler....great stuff!
"With great power there must also come--great responsibility!" --Stan Lee, 1962

June 10th, 2015, 5:18 pm #11

Looks like they used the full restoration for the Sundays that Marvel did for the TPBs. Some of the strips look slightly better but a few are from inferior sources. Nice book all around.

JaseTraber
Modern Age
JaseTraber
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 7:19 pm #12

My copy will arrive Friday, just in time for the weekend! 

Mysterio.
Bronze Age
Mysterio.
Bronze Age

June 10th, 2015, 7:36 pm #13

The strip has been so dire for so long that it's hard to remember it was quite good when it started. Eager to check this out.

BlueRogue
Modern Age
BlueRogue
Modern Age

June 10th, 2015, 11:16 pm #14

I flipped through mine a bit when I got it Saturday and thought it looked great. I was born in 1974 and I've never read any Marvel newspaper comics. I was wondering why it seemed like there was a colored page followed by two b&w throughout the entire book. So the strips that appeared on Sunday's were in color?

About a year ago I ordered my first IDW HC, Ghostbusters: Total Containment, which is really cool and I've received four other IDW HCs over the last two weeks. I've been really impressed with the quality of their books so far.

Five Years Later
Golden Age

June 11th, 2015, 12:01 am #15

I bought this based on this thread.
Fine, enjoy not reading comics because of the spine.

iamotdeadyet
Bronze Age

June 11th, 2015, 2:49 am #16

Phonics Monkey Vol 2 wrote:
Looks like they used the full restoration for the Sundays that Marvel did for the TPBs. Some of the strips look slightly better but a few are from inferior sources. Nice book all around.
Is the material and the quality of the material reprinted in this HC exactly the same as the one in the TPB?
Last edited by iamotdeadyet on June 11th, 2015, 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

DrDoombot
Silver Age
DrDoombot
Silver Age

June 11th, 2015, 6:52 am #17

BlueRogue wrote:
I flipped through mine a bit when I got it Saturday and thought it looked great. I was born in 1974 and I've never read any Marvel newspaper comics. I was wondering why it seemed like there was a colored page followed by two b&w throughout the entire book. So the strips that appeared on Sunday's were in color?

About a year ago I ordered my first IDW HC, Ghostbusters: Total Containment, which is really cool and I've received four other IDW HCs over the last two weeks. I've been really impressed with the quality of their books so far.
You were born in 1974 and didn't know Sunday comic strips were in color, BlueRogue?

Hopefully my copy arrives today. I've been looking forward to replacing my crappy Marvel edition since this was announced.

Milamber
Modern Age
Milamber
Modern Age

June 11th, 2015, 7:57 am #18

iamotdeadyet wrote:
Phonics Monkey Vol 2 wrote:
Is the material and the quality of the material reprinted in this HC exactly the same as the one in the TPB?

It shouldn't be this is a different edition from a different publisher, I simply flipped through the book and the strips look good to me.

iamotdeadyet
Bronze Age

June 11th, 2015, 8:07 am #19

Milamber wrote:
iamotdeadyet wrote:
Phonics Monkey Vol 2 wrote:Looks like they used the full restoration for the Sundays that Marvel did for the TPBs. Some of the strips look slightly better but a few are from inferior sources. Nice book all around.

It shouldn't be this is a different edition from a different publisher, I simply flipped through the book and the strips look good to me.
Well... is it or is it not? That different publisher may have or mayn't have worked with the same material. That's all I want to know.