Golden Age
Heathenson
Golden Age

October 17th, 2017, 1:58 pm #21

BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE VOL. 4 TP

jojo_f
jojo_f

October 18th, 2017, 12:07 am #22

Does anybody know why the Outsiders collections are so pricy? They are not even oversized. $50 is a lot to ask for 10 issues. I enjoyed the first a lot (which I got for about $22) but just wonder how these can have such a high msrp.

mwiggins
Bronze Age
mwiggins
Bronze Age

October 18th, 2017, 8:45 am #23

jojo_f wrote: Does anybody know why the Outsiders collections are so pricy? They are not even oversized.  $50 is a lot to ask for 10 issues. I enjoyed the first a lot (which I got for about $22) but just wonder how these can have such a high msrp.
That price is pretty common for their hardcover collections of classic material.  The Superboy and the Legion HC was $50.  The JSA by Strazewski and Parobeck HC is priced at $50.  The standard sized Jack Kirby 4th World Omnibuses were $50. 

And to be fair, it's not 10 issues.  The 1st volume was 15 issues, and the 2nd one is 12 (one of which is a double-sized annual). 

The Tales of the Batman/Legends of the Dark Knight standard sized HC's are sometimes priced cheaper than that (or at least have higher page counts), but that may simply be because they're creator specific.  DC may be able to cut a better deal on royalties on those kind of books? 

Silveragemarvelman
Golden Age

October 18th, 2017, 9:45 am #24

I am eying the Challengers of the Unknown HC but am unfamiliar with this run. Can anyone advise? It says different direction, but that doesn't sell me much.

TheIntruder
Bronze Age

October 18th, 2017, 10:02 am #25

It's like Dark Knight Returns for the Challengers. It's excellent. I highly recommend it.

jojo_f
jojo_f

October 18th, 2017, 4:39 pm #26

mwiggins wrote:
jojo_f wrote: Does anybody know why the Outsiders collections are so pricy? They are not even oversized.  $50 is a lot to ask for 10 issues. I enjoyed the first a lot (which I got for about $22) but just wonder how these can have such a high msrp.
That price is pretty common for their hardcover collections of classic material.  The Superboy and the Legion HC was $50.  The JSA by Strazewski and Parobeck HC is priced at $50.  The standard sized Jack Kirby 4th World Omnibuses were $50. 

And to be fair, it's not 10 issues.  The 1st volume was 15 issues, and the 2nd one is 12 (one of which is a double-sized annual). 

The Tales of the Batman/Legends of the Dark Knight standard sized HC's are sometimes priced cheaper than that (or at least have higher page counts), but that may simply be because they're creator specific.  DC may be able to cut a better deal on royalties on those kind of books? 

Yes I suppose it has to do with the contracts and who is willing to negotiate downward. Some of their books seem like much better values, though have had their costs subsidized by previous editions. I would have much preferred both Outsiders volumes in an omnibus, and may just have to wait a couple years for that. The way the 80s is being milked currently is so hit or miss. If only there was a standard pattern a la the Golden Age / Silver Age. Turning a book like Outsiders  to hardcover doesn't make it $15-20 more worth it to me. Who is going to buy these books at full price? The real answer is of course "nobody" because there are so many deals to be found, but I'd rather pay a full-but-reasonable price than go discount hunting even from reliable outlets. This is just me venting now..

STRANGEHUGO
Bronze Age

October 18th, 2017, 7:46 pm #27

I'm guessing supply and demand.  There have to be far fewer customers interested so they have to make it worth their while to restore.
This happened with books like the INFINITY, INC. collection awhile back.  And, ultimately, it didn't sell well.

And since it showed up for $6 in the digital sale, they can't be setting the world on fire.  We are lucky to get a volume 2.