andrewc
Modern Age
andrewc
Modern Age

7:52 PM - Mar 13, 2018 #41

What are the chances of a Volume 2, minus "Jack Kirby" on the cover, being done to complete the series?

It would include #41-59, the unpublished #60-61 (from Cancelled Comics Cavalcade and later printed in the Kamandi Challenge Special) and Karate Kid #15.  To fill out the book, it could also include Omac #1-8 and Hercules Unbound #1-12, which were part of Kamandi's timeline.

whovian77
Modern Age
whovian77
Modern Age

8:02 PM - Mar 13, 2018 #42

andrewc wrote: What are the chances of a Volume 2, minus "Jack Kirby" on the cover, being done to complete the series?
I would buy, with or without the Omac and Hercules issues.

davidh777
Bronze Age
davidh777
Bronze Age

8:09 PM - Mar 13, 2018 #43

Could they include the Kamandi Challenge itself?

warlock664
Silver Age
warlock664
Silver Age

9:08 PM - Mar 13, 2018 #44

I'd buy a Volume 2.
They should also include the BRAVE & BOLD and DC COMICS PRESENTS appearances, as well as the Wednesday Comics serial.

12:05 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #45

andrewc wrote: What are the chances of a Volume 2, minus "Jack Kirby" on the cover, being done to complete the series?

It would include #41-59, the unpublished #60-61 (from Cancelled Comics Cavalcade and later printed in the Kamandi Challenge Special) and Karate Kid #15.  To fill out the book, it could also include Omac #1-8 and Hercules Unbound #1-12, which were part of Kamandi's timeline.
I would buy a volume with #41-61.

But you have correctly identified that the Earth A.D. cross-references can get complicated and messy.  And the idea of Buddy Blank (OMAC) being Kamandi's grandfather was definitely post-Kirby ... and I don't know if the linkage was something that Kirby had originally planned or suggested.

After Kirby prematurely ended OMAC with #8, the story lived on for a few episodes as a backup in KAMANDI, then WARLORD.

There is a SHOWCASE PRESENTS that pulls all that together along with HERCULES UNBOUND, but I've never got around to reading my copy, so I can't comment on whether it makes sense.

The only Jack Kirby content here is OMAC #1-8, and I suspect that DC will repackage that as stand-alone Kirby volume as opposed to diluting it with the other Earth A.D. content.  

[EDIT] -- I pulled out my copy of SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE GREAT DISASTER ... and I mis-remembered the contents
It does have the complete HERCULES UNBOUND #1-12, and only KAMANDI #43-46.
The bulk of the book is nineteen 'The Day After Doomsday' stories that ran mostly in WEIRD WAR TALES, and the complete run of ATOMIC KNIGHTS from the early 60's.
So no OMAC, and little KAMANDI ... but lots of great art by JLGL, Simonson, Anderson, Wood, Alcala, Marcos, Sparling, Ditko, Chaykin and hmmmm ... Frank Miller.

I may have to read this....
Last edited by Lightning n Chemicals on 12:22 AM - Mar 14, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Leeman13
Golden Age
Leeman13
Golden Age

12:19 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #46

Rod Keith wrote: Hey, can anyone tell me if Pyra is coloured a full red in the new Omnibus, or just a light salmon, as in the previous Kirby Kamandi collection? I was flipping through that book last night and found that kinda irritating. Maybe even enough to spend the dough to upgrade.
"Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil’s pawn. Alone among God’s
primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his
brother to possess his brother’s land. Let him not breed in great
numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him;
drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.”
– Sacred Scroll 29:6
"Somewhere out there, there has to be something better than man" - George Taylor

Rod Keith
Modern Age
Rod Keith
Modern Age

12:21 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #47

Rod Keith wrote: Hey, can anyone tell me if Pyra is coloured a full red in the new Omnibus, or just a light salmon, as in the previous Kirby Kamandi collection? I was flipping through that book last night and found that kinda irritating. Maybe even enough to spend the dough to upgrade.
Answered the question myself through watching a couple of review videos. While the whiter paper stock does darken Pyra a little bit from the newsprint-style Kirby books, she is still NOT the bright red she is in the original comics. She's coloured more like a diluted, 50% version of that. Which I find somewhat annoying, since the original red was really striking and part of the appeal of the character for me. :/

Rod Keith
Modern Age
Rod Keith
Modern Age

12:26 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #48

Leeman13 wrote:
Got that up just as I was getting my reply together! Thanks for the pic, Leeman. Still, I was hoping more for this kind of intensity: RCO003.jpg :

RCO004.jpg

Leeman13
Golden Age
Leeman13
Golden Age

12:35 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #49

As long as I was taking the previous pic, I took a few others at random.

A few covers...

And some really cool 2 page spreads.  Not quite the craziness of The Eternals, but still a lot of fun.

"Somewhere out there, there has to be something better than man" - George Taylor

Rod Keith
Modern Age
Rod Keith
Modern Age

12:39 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #50

It's a gorgeous book, for sure, aside from that one thing that bugs me (later non-Kirby issues has her as red as red can be, same tone as Ben Boxer's outfit).

By the way, Leeman, your pics of the House of Secrets Omni convinced me to buy that book this week. :)

Leeman13
Golden Age
Leeman13
Golden Age

1:03 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #51

Rod Keith wrote:

By the way, Leeman, your pics of the House of Secrets Omni convinced me to buy that book this week. :)
That's great.  I hope you enjoy it.

I realize that I probably seem very much OCD with all the comparison pics so far, but it's some of my favorite material from DC, and the whole process of creating these omnibus books and recoloring the original material kind of fascinates me.  I'm just having fun and wasting time. 

davidh777
Bronze Age
davidh777
Bronze Age

1:10 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #52

Those shots look great! Still thinking I’ll just go digital on this one but maybe.

1:20 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #53

Leeman13 wrote: I realize that I probably seem very much OCD with all the comparison pics so far, but it's some of my favorite material from DC, and the whole process of creating these omnibus books and recoloring the original material kind of fascinates me.  I'm just having fun and wasting time. 
On the contrary, you are presenting the information extremely well.  And in a balanced, objective manner which is deeply appreciated.
For instance, from the pics you have posted it provides a wealth of information about the presentation of covers, two-page spreads, (lack of) gutter loss, color and paper stock -- people have a wide range of expectations/tolerance ... so in this case a picture is indeed better than a thousand words. 

Nice job, Leeman!
Last edited by Lightning n Chemicals on 1:29 AM - Mar 14, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

jlaavenger
Modern Age
jlaavenger
Modern Age

1:28 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #54

If OMAC is ever collected I hope it includes the Jim Starlin material from The Warlord and the DC Comics Presents story by George Perez

HighlandRay
Golden Age

2:46 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #55

I am so looking forward to my copy, which hopefully will be with me by the end of this week.
Too old to die young

Hanzo the Razor
Bronze Age

10:56 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #56

jlaavenger wrote: If OMAC is ever collected I hope it includes the Jim Starlin material from The Warlord and the DC Comics Presents story by George Perez
It has been recently (somewhat) collected in both hard and soft cover, so I'm doubtful they'll be doing a new edition with that material. Which is a shame, I would have loved to seen that material included.

TheIntruder
Bronze Age

3:47 PM - Mar 14, 2018 #57

I dont see why a vol 2 can't still have Jack Kirby's name on the cover similar to Neil Gaiman's name being on a lot of things he didn't write.

Batman
Silver Age
Batman
Silver Age

4:30 PM - Apr 01, 2018 #58

jlaavenger wrote: If OMAC is ever collected I hope it includes the Jim Starlin material from The Warlord and the DC Comics Presents story by George Perez
And the John Byrne series.

Batman
Silver Age
Batman
Silver Age

4:30 PM - Apr 01, 2018 #59

I'm glad there's no egregious errors in this volume, DC's got me second-guessing all my purchases of theirs.

HighlandRay
Golden Age

8:38 AM - Apr 02, 2018 #60

Just got my copy of Kamandi in the post today and it looks very nice. This is a third-dipping for me, I already have the original comics bound and the previous two part Omnibus, but this looks so much nice with superior paper and colours.
Too old to die young