9:27 AM - Sep 19, 2018 #5681

Peter Palmer wrote: What an amazing coincidence it is that nearly all the essential books to read are either numberless or a volume one. I can't imagine ever telling someone they have to read New 52 Justice League Vol. 1 before they die.
Yeah, it's ironic/convenient/mercenary to entice a new reader to start with #1 and buy more.

But, it also makes sense.  They are trying to draw parity between a popular series like BATMAN and something that likely most people haven't read -- like Anthony Bourdain's GET JIRO -- to entice a reader to branch out and sample more.   Likewise they can't clog up a list of 100 with say, all 21 volumes of FABLES, when mentioning the first one gets the point across.

The inclusion of BATMAN V4: THE WAR OF JOKES AND RIDDLES sticks out and is well chosen -- possibly my favorite Batman arc of all time.

Gotham27
Modern Age
Gotham27
Modern Age

9:00 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #5682

10/4 backlist
Adventures of Superman (1987) #A1-3 (of 648 +9A)
Batman: Masque #1 (of 1) - complete
Detective Comics (1937) #95-100 (of 881 +12A) – about 45 pages per issue
Hawkman (1993) #33, A1-2 (of 33 +2A) - complete
Hawkworld (1990) #26-29 (of 32 + 2A)
JLA: Created Equal #1-2 (of 2) – complete
JLA: Island of Dr Moreau #1 (of 1) - complete
Justice League of America (1960) #207-210 (of 261 +3A)
Kamandi The Last Boy On Earth (1972) #32-34 (of 59)

JSABob1966
Modern Age
JSABob1966
Modern Age

10:17 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #5683

Hello - In looking at Comixology and based on the page count, it seems that, starting in the mid-80s, Detective Comics started including the non-Batman tales (aside from some issues in the 30s and forties that had them, too.)  However, Comixology notes that, at least for some issues, not all the back ups are included.  The back ups, though, are what I am mainly interested.  Is there a link to what back ups have or have not been included in the digital reprints for Detective Comics?  With page counts in the 45 to 55 range, you would think most would be there.  Thanks, Bob

Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd

11:36 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #5684

JSABob1966 wrote:Hello - In looking at Comixology and based on the page count, it seems that, starting in the mid-80s, Detective Comics started including the non-Batman tales (aside from some issues in the 30s and forties that had them, too.)  However, Comixology notes that, at least for some issues, not all the back ups are included.  The back ups, though, are what I am mainly interested.  Is there a link to what back ups have or have not been included in the digital reprints for Detective Comics?  With page counts in the 45 to 55 range, you would think most would be there.  Thanks, Bob
I bought a few of the issues they added this month and the only thing missing was the ads. There are earlier issues that only have the Batman and Boy Commandos stories though. It would be nice if they would go back and scan the rest of the book for those.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JSABob1966
Modern Age
JSABob1966
Modern Age

1:49 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #5685

Pink Floyd - Thanks for the feedback.  Missing ads I do not mind.  I just love those obscure heroes like the Crimson Avenger, Airwave, etc.  I will give them a try.  Bob

KTSHawkman
Modern Age
KTSHawkman
Modern Age

10:10 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #5686

DC Events sale this week.  It's actually a pretty deep dive into what's considered an "event," and there's some good stuff in there, although I've gotten most of what I want in other sales like the Christmas BOGO.  Some single issues in there are a bit of a surprise (and some are a little strange, but it's worth a look).

Mark Lafrenais
Bronze Age

3:14 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #5687

KTSHawkman wrote: DC Events sale this week.  It's actually a pretty deep dive into what's considered an "event," and there's some good stuff in there, although I've gotten most of what I want in other sales like the Christmas BOGO.  Some single issues in there are a bit of a surprise (and some are a little strange, but it's worth a look).
On first impressions it looks like a good sale, albeit with few surprises. I have to say I was amused to see that in their "carefully curated" selection, under the Crisis on Infinite Earths heading they have included Adventure #414 and #415, presumably instead of the Crisis-linked Superman #414 and #415, and for the New Teen Titans we find issues #13 and #14 of the 1980 series, rather than the same issues for the 1984 series which were the actual Crisis stories for the Titans! 

Strider Tag
Modern Age
Strider Tag
Modern Age

9:01 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #5688

Mark Lafrenais wrote:
KTSHawkman wrote: DC Events sale this week.  It's actually a pretty deep dive into what's considered an "event," and there's some good stuff in there, although I've gotten most of what I want in other sales like the Christmas BOGO.  Some single issues in there are a bit of a surprise (and some are a little strange, but it's worth a look).
On first impressions it looks like a good sale, albeit with few surprises. I have to say I was amused to see that in their "carefully curated" selection, under the Crisis on Infinite Earths heading they have included Adventure #414 and #415, presumably instead of the Crisis-linked Superman #414 and #415, and for the New Teen Titans we find issues #13 and #14 of the 1980 series, rather than the same issues for the 1984 series which were the actual Crisis stories for the Titans! 
By the way, the same mistake happens with "Identity Crisis" : the Wonder Woman tie-in, #219, is the wrong one. They've put on sale #219 of the first series, instead of #219 from vol.2 (from the Greg Rucka run).

Alan
Silver Age
Alan
Silver Age

9:08 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #5689

Ah, that is why. I was wondering what some of those comics were doing there.

Some good stuff but nothing at all I don’t have and still want.

Mark Lafrenais
Bronze Age

12:43 PM - Sep 25, 2018 #5690

Amongst the new digital trades today is included the first "All New Atom" collection by Gail Simone and John Byrne from May 2007, introducing Ryan Choi and comprising the first six issues of the series. The individual issues have been in store since 2015.

Macabra
Golden Age
Macabra
Golden Age

1:08 PM - Sep 25, 2018 #5691

Alan wrote: Ah, that is why. I was wondering what some of those comics were doing there.

Some good stuff but nothing at all I don’t have and still want.
Same here I have pretty much everything I want, I am waiting for DC to start offering more the usual suspects,
or the next BOGO will do fine.

Macabra
Golden Age
Macabra
Golden Age

1:13 PM - Sep 25, 2018 #5692

Mark Lafrenais wrote: Amongst the new digital trades today is included the first "All New Atom" collection by Gail Simone and John Byrne from May 2007, introducing Ryan Choi and comprising the first six issues of the series. The individual issues have been in store since 2015.
I bought the first 3 floppies a while back, so I'll skip this collection collecting the first 6 issues in favor of more floppies at the next BOGO.

6:42 PM - Sep 25, 2018 #5693

Mark Lafrenais wrote: Amongst the new digital trades today is included the first "All New Atom" collection by Gail Simone and John Byrne from May 2007, introducing Ryan Choi and comprising the first six issues of the series. The individual issues have been in store since 2015.
A good series!  This was from the INFINITE CRISIS era when DC's B-level and C-level series were very good across the board.

DylanBundy
Modern Age
DylanBundy
Modern Age

11:35 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #5694

https://www.comixology.com/DCs-Tom-King ... YXJvdXNlbA

Tom King sale begins.

It’s unusual for DC to have two sale at the same time unless one of them is Vertigo one.

davidh777
Bronze Age
davidh777
Bronze Age

1:15 AM - Sep 28, 2018 #5695

The King sale isn't that big, though: 19 trades and 61 floppies. 

Macabra
Golden Age
Macabra
Golden Age

9:20 AM - Sep 28, 2018 #5696

I'll say it again, enough with the 52 and the Batman sales, DC needs to give readers some variations, LOSH sale, Classic trades sale, 
Kirby sale, JSA sale, Hawkman sale, DC Cartoons sale, Doom Patrol sale, Demon, Spectre and so on, there is so much more then
just Bat and WW at the DC digital store, sell it DC, sell it.
Now watch Marvel starting the Daredevil sales again by mid October to coincide with the new season at Netflix. LOL

Strider Tag
Modern Age
Strider Tag
Modern Age

10:04 AM - Sep 28, 2018 #5697

Macabra wrote: I'll say it again, enough with the 52 and the Batman sales, DC needs to give readers some variations, LOSH sale, Classic trades sale, 
Kirby sale, JSA sale, Hawkman sale, DC Cartoons sale, Doom Patrol sale, Demon, Spectre and so on, there is so much more then
just Bat and WW at the DC digital store, sell it DC, sell it.
Now watch Marvel starting the Daredevil sales again by mid October to coincide with the new season at Netflix. LOL
Actually, some famous runs of these series were already on sale :
-Geoff Johns' JSA runs (the one before and the one after Infinite Crisis)
-Geoff Johns' Hawkman (and then the Palmiotti & Gray run, and the Simonson & Arlem Hawkgirl)
-Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is always on sale whenever there is a Vertigo sale
-Demon by Jack Kirby, and both "Demon by Ennis & McCrea" trades were on sale not so long ago
-both "Spectre" trades (from the Ostrander & Mandrake) runs are on sale regularly. too bad DC stopped after the 2nd trade.
-Legion by Abnett and Lanning were on sale not so long ago, and both "Legionnaires" TPBs were on sale not so long ago. "Legion of 3 worlds" is currently on sale, and "Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes" is often on sale. Even Mark Waid's "Legion of Super Heroes" (the run where Supergirl joins the team) was on sale recently.

However, I am also waiting for a HUGE Legion sale, so "I know that feeling".
Also, Spectre by Ostrander & Mandrake, past the 2 trades, has never been on sale. Too bad the Fleischer & Aparo, and the other series (the DeMatteis one and the 80's series) are still missing from the store.
Same for "The Demon" .. too bad the Alan Grant run is still missing from the store.
Doom Patrol post-Morrison has already been on sale (only once), but not the pre-Morrison run.

There has been recently an addition of long runs of Hawkman, so they will be on sale someday.

10:46 AM - Sep 28, 2018 #5698

Strider Tag wrote:
However, I am also waiting for a HUGE Legion sale, so "I know that feeling".
So ... when that Legion sale comes ... where does the Legion digital catalog stand now?

I am particularly interested in getting the 90's in digital -- from Five Years Later up to DnA.  Are all those singles available?  How about Annuals? 
I know there has been an effort to put out 90's Legion/Legionnaires in new collected editions -- how far has that progressed and are those collections available digitally?

BTW ... DOOMSDAY CLOCK is progressing and it is becoming clearer now about the likelihood of a Legion relaunch that can have a satisfying structure to it.

Five Years Later
Golden Age

10:57 AM - Sep 28, 2018 #5699

I think all the singles are available. They started releasing all the annuals recently but I'm not sure if it is complete. My personal collection stops with Giffen's final FYL issue and then starts again with DnA through the end of their run.
Fine, enjoy not reading comics because of the spine.

Strider Tag
Modern Age
Strider Tag
Modern Age

12:09 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #5700

Lightning n Chemicals wrote: (...)

I am particularly interested in getting the 90's in digital -- from Five Years Later up to DnA.  Are all those singles available?  How about Annuals? 
I know there has been an effort to put out 90's Legion/Legionnaires in new collected editions -- how far has that progressed and are those collections available digitally?

(...)
"Baxter" series : all issues are there EXCEPT annuals.
"Five Years Later" series : all issues are there WITH with annuals.
L.E.G.I.O.N : all issues are there WITH with annuals.
R.E.B.E.L.S :  all issues are there (the series had no annuals) . By the way, the 2nd series (from 2009) is also there, also with its only annual.
"Legionnaires" series : all issues are there EXCEPT the annuals. (Actually, only annual #2 ["year one"] is there)
From the Abnett & Lanning era (2000s) : Legion Lost, Legion Worlds, The Legion are all there

Available limited series (from the 90s) :
-Cosmic Boy (but this one if from the 80's, and happened during "Legends")
-Legionnaires 3
-Timber Wolf
-Legends of the Legion

Other series :
-Valor (this one has no annuals)

Available trades reprinting the 90s series:
-Legionnaires has 2 trades, reprinting from the "Zero Hour" reboot (vol.1 :  LoSH #0, 62 -> 68 + L #0, 19 -> 24   /   vol.2 : LoSH #69 -> 73, ann.6   + L # 25 -> 30, ann.2 + stories from showcase '95 #6)
-Legion by Abnett & Lanning has 2 trades for now. Vol.1 reprints the end of the 5YL series and Legionnaires (Legion of the damned & Widening rifts .... LoSH 122 -> 125 + L #78 -> 81), Vol.2 reprints the entirety of Legion Lost (12 issues limited series).
Last edited by Strider Tag on 9:01 AM - Oct 02, 2018, edited 2 times in total.