brandonjf72
Modern Age
brandonjf72
Modern Age

8:44 AM - Sep 17, 2018 #41

Dave Wallace wrote: There's an extra story (of only a couple of pages) in the omnibus that isn't in the Absolutes but other than that the story content is the same I think. And there's maybe a few more pages of art extras in the Absolutes too.
The Omni ditched some of the extras that were in the Absolutes?  I wouldn't have bet on that.... I guess I didn't since I still got it hoping that when I read somewhere that Sale provided DC with a bunch of extra material that something new might have shown up in the omni.  I could've swore I saw some solicitation that even mentioned extra material (not that it was new, though), but now I can't find it.  

Dave Wallace
Modern Age
Dave Wallace
Modern Age

10:16 AM - Sep 17, 2018 #42

I don't have the Absolutes to hand any more to compare, but I'm pretty sure there was a bit of stuff in the Long Halloween Absolute that went over some of the colour-separation experiments that were done while they were working on the cover style for the series, which I couldn't find in the omnibus.

There might well be new stuff in the omni over the Absolutes, but I'd be relying on memory to compare - maybe someone who has both can let us know for sure.

xrayspecs
xrayspecs

9:11 AM - Sep 18, 2018 #43

I'm halfway through this monster and really enjoying it.
It's been so long since I read these stories that I can't remember many details, so it's like I'm reading them for the first time.

HighlandRay
Golden Age

10:49 AM - Sep 18, 2018 #44

Had to change my supplier when SpeedyHen told me today and they could not get a release date from their supplier, i have since ordered it from Forbidden Planet.com
Too old to die young

warlock664
Silver Age
warlock664
Silver Age

12:27 PM - Sep 18, 2018 #45

TheBandsawVigilante wrote: The fact that this omnibus is an upgrade from the Absolute editions is a major bonus, here.
How is this an upgrade over the Absolutes?
Smaller dimensions to diminish the art, shiny glossy paper rather than the superior heavy matte stock of the Absolutes, and one heavy unwieldy volume that will doubtless some day suffer from spine sag rather than three much more comfortable to handle books?

Alan
Silver Age
Alan
Silver Age

12:30 PM - Sep 18, 2018 #46

Yes, Absolutes do tend to be the top end of the range, with Omni’s being more affordable but the added threat of back sprain/wrist ligament  damage.

Dave Wallace
Modern Age
Dave Wallace
Modern Age

1:43 PM - Sep 19, 2018 #47

warlock664 wrote:
TheBandsawVigilante wrote: The fact that this omnibus is an upgrade from the Absolute editions is a major bonus, here.
Smaller dimensions to diminish the art, shiny glossy paper rather than the superior heavy matte stock of the Absolutes, and one heavy unwieldy volume that will doubtless some day suffer from spine sag rather than three much more comfortable to handle books?
It's a question of taste I guess, but I think the art looks much better in this edition - the matte paper on the Absolutes was nice, but the colour was slightly washed-out. This paper (slightly glossy but not ultra-shiny) works really well, especially with the solid blacks.

Plus, the chronological order is preferable to me - the third Absolute is weird in combining the really early stuff with the Catwoman mini.

HighlandRay
Golden Age

2:33 PM - Sep 19, 2018 #48

That’s the Batman by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale Omnibus in the post.
Too old to die young

DangerousBoy
Bronze Age

7:23 PM - Sep 19, 2018 #49

Is the Superman loeb Sale delux worth it?
-D

Batman
Silver Age
Batman
Silver Age

2:17 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #50

It absolutely is.

Dave Wallace
Modern Age
Dave Wallace
Modern Age

2:38 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #51

Yes, I had the old 'For All Seasons' HC but still bought the new Deluxe - it looks great.

avengersfan2
Modern Age
avengersfan2
Modern Age

5:33 PM - Sep 23, 2018 #52

Dave Wallace wrote: Yes, I had the old 'For All Seasons' HC but still bought the new Deluxe - it looks great.
Hows the binding on the deluxe edition?

I’ve not picked it up because the earlier dlx editions that I’ve seen have tight, glued binding. I’d love it if this one was different.

Dave Wallace
Modern Age
Dave Wallace
Modern Age

4:18 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #53

I didn't notice any problems on my readthrough, but I haven't looked at it closely - I can dig it out if you're interested.

HighlandRay
Golden Age

4:22 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #54

My copy will be being delivered at home today, but I’m in Glasgow until tomorrow evening so it will just have to wait for me.
Too old to die young

HighlandRay
Golden Age

9:47 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #55

Saw this book in Forbidden Planet Glasgow today, what a brick.
Too old to die young

Ben Grimm
Modern Age
Ben Grimm
Modern Age

2:38 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #56

Dave Wallace wrote:
warlock664 wrote:
It's a question of taste I guess, but I think the art looks much better in this edition - the matte paper on the Absolutes was nice, but the colour was slightly washed-out. This paper (slightly glossy but not ultra-shiny) works really well, especially with the solid blacks.

Plus, the chronological order is preferable to me - the third Absolute is weird in combining the really early stuff with the Catwoman mini.
Got it...love it.  Finally, a proper presentation (to me) of Sale’s artwork.  I also like the chronological order, as it shows the evolution of Sale’s artwork over the years.  All in all, a very nice package.  My only complaint is, as usual, that flat, cheap-looking cover.  I’d be curious as to reasoning behind which omnis get better covers and which get the crappy cheap ones.

Chomp-Chomp
Chomp-Chomp

5:38 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #57

Which ones have the better covers? The Swamp Thing omnibus had kind of a flimsy cover but I don't have anything more recent.

Ben Grimm
Modern Age
Ben Grimm
Modern Age

10:15 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #58

Chomp-Chomp wrote: Which ones have the better covers? The Swamp Thing omnibus had kind of a flimsy cover but I don't have anything more recent.
Batman by Grant Morrison, Justice League: The Darkseid War Saga,  Fourth World by Jack Kirby, Kamandi by Jack Kirby, Batman: Knightfall (all 3 volumes), Green Lantern by Geoff Johns (all 3 volumes) and the recent reissue of Infinite Crisis...there are others but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Dave Wallace
Modern Age
Dave Wallace
Modern Age

4:41 AM - Sep 27, 2018 #59

The recent Seven Soldiers omnibus had a nice cover (with wraparound cover image under the dustjacket) too.