Artist Editions Discussion thread (IDW, Dark Horse, etc)

Let's talk about all non-Marvel and DC comics, like EC Archives, Image, Crossgen, Dark Horse, and other Indie comics!
MY Posts - NEW Posts - UNREAD Posts

Artist Editions Discussion thread (IDW, Dark Horse, etc)

leveret1
Golden Age

04 May 2012, 17:22 #1

Scott Dunbier teased about an upcoming to-be-announced (in the next few weeks) Artist Edition with the hint
Artists especially will go nuts for this one.
Considering that the AE are already supposed to spotlight the artwork, this must be one of the "artist's artists."

My guesses:
Alex Toth. Considering they're already doing the 3-volume set on his art, this would be great! He is definitely an "artist's artist."
Steranko Fury?
Kirby Marvel (since it's been said that DC doesn't want to compete with their own stuff)
BWS (Conan?)
Wrightson? They're doing the Frankenstein Alive with Niles so there could be an easy association.
Al Williamson
Frazetta

What do you think?

*mod edit to change thread title to cover all Artist Editions*
Last edited by leveret1 on 01 May 2015, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

wpbooks
Golden Age

04 May 2012, 18:10 #2

Well, if artists are really going to dig it, and that's the clue, I might guess it's P. Craig Russell and his adaptations of Wagner or Elric.....something along those lines....
Don't you scare me. My friends and I think I do a better job. Police are looking for you all over. Be instrumental in letting us know. They are English-men and they are a type I don't know who is best, they or us. Oh, sir, get the doll a roofing. You can play jacks and girls do that with a soft ball and do tricks with it. I take all events into consideration. No. No. And it is no. It is confused and its says no. A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim. - A. Flegenheimer

leveret1
Golden Age

04 May 2012, 18:27 #3

wpbooks wrote:Well, if artists are really going to dig it, and that's the clue, I might guess it's P. Craig Russell and his adaptations of Wagner or Elric.....something along those lines....
PCR would be a good choice too!

eggradio
Modern Age

04 May 2012, 18:59 #4

Does it have to be comic book stuff?

How about Alex Raymond or Hal Foster.  Didn't everyone swipe from them?

Silveragemarvelman
Golden Age

04 May 2012, 19:51 #5

To me "artist's artist" conjures...

Frazetta
Wrightson
Kaluta
BWS
Williamson
Toth
Infantino inking himself
Kirby (in the Picasso sense)
Buscema
Adams?
Crumb
Russell
Anderson
Vess

Maybe a couple of the Warren featured artists too...

The thing is, there are many attributes and styles that can be called "artistic".

themouseholecat
Silver Age

04 May 2012, 20:38 #6

Alex Toth certainly has the "artist's artist" tag applied to him more often than anybody else. Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez is probably a close second. 

Al Williamson or Harvey Kurtzman are possibilities. Maybe Johnny Craig or Bernie Krigstein ?
Last edited by themouseholecat on 04 May 2012, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

wpbooks
Golden Age

04 May 2012, 21:10 #7

I'm also thinking of folks who may have held onto all or most of their original art, hence my suggestion of Russell. The EC art is also still extant, but I figure since IDW already had another EC volume in the works, Jack Davis, that aside from trying to track down art that may be scattered far and wide, perhaps someone like Russell, in the manner of Mazzuchelli(?) and the Born Again volume, is perhaps a likely 'suspect', but I have no knowledge as to whether he keeps or sells his artwork. It's pure speculation on my part.
Don't you scare me. My friends and I think I do a better job. Police are looking for you all over. Be instrumental in letting us know. They are English-men and they are a type I don't know who is best, they or us. Oh, sir, get the doll a roofing. You can play jacks and girls do that with a soft ball and do tricks with it. I take all events into consideration. No. No. And it is no. It is confused and its says no. A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim. - A. Flegenheimer

leveret1
Golden Age

04 May 2012, 21:15 #8

wpbooks wrote:I'm also thinking of folks who may have held onto all or most of their original art, hence my suggestion of Russell. The EC art is also still extant, but I figure since IDW already had another EC volume in the works, Jack Davis, that aside from trying to track down art that may be scattered far and wide, perhaps someone like Russell, in the manner of Mazzuchelli(?) and the Born Again volume, is perhaps a likely 'suspect', but I have no knowledge as to whether he keeps or sells his artwork. It's pure speculation on my part.
It doesn't even have to be whether or not the original art is still in one place, but if high-quality scans are available.  That's how they're doing Born Again because Mazzucchelli scanned all his OA before selling them.

wpbooks
Golden Age

04 May 2012, 21:27 #9

leveret1 wrote:
wpbooks wrote:I'm also thinking of folks who may have held onto all or most of their original art, hence my suggestion of Russell. The EC art is also still extant, but I figure since IDW already had another EC volume in the works, Jack Davis, that aside from trying to track down art that may be scattered far and wide, perhaps someone like Russell, in the manner of Mazzuchelli(?) and the Born Again volume, is perhaps a likely 'suspect', but I have no knowledge as to whether he keeps or sells his artwork. It's pure speculation on my part.
It doesn't even have to be whether or not the original art is still in one place, but if high-quality scans are available.  That's how they're doing Born Again because Mazzucchelli scanned all his OA before selling them.
Right. I mis-wrote, but he does have the whole thing in one place making it much easier to produce a volume than having to gather the pages together from many various places or people.

tstrapac
Modern Age

04 May 2012, 22:58 #10

leveret1 wrote:
If I remember correctly, Mazz only sold 1 issue of Born Again, but took high quality, color scans before selling it.

Paul Denham
Modern Age

05 May 2012, 07:04 #11

"Artist's artist" to me implies someone whom non artists will have a harder time understanding the appeal of.
To me, this leaves out Frazetta, Wrightson, Kaluta, Barry Smith, Williamson, and others who are known for being illustrative.

Alex Toth would make perfect sense. As would Krigstein.
Ironically, as big a Toth fan as I am, I don't know that I need to see his boards. He was a master of paring things down to their bare essentials which means it's just not the kind of stuff you need to pore over with a microscope to get. I can readily appreciate Toths gifts in a Showcase edition. The glimpses of his natural boards in the first Vol. of his bio, and I assume the upcoming one as well, are about as much as I need in this regard.

OTOH, Garcia Lopez is someone I would absolutely love to see represented in this line, and someone who is not only a strong storyteller, but is a solid and very illustrative draftsman.
His pages would would look wonderful in a large format.
For that matter, I don't think any of the big guns like Frazetta, Wrightson, etc can touch Toth either in terms of storytelling- but I would still be more inclined to buy any of their editions over Toths as well. These are artists whose work I want to see as large and as clearly as possible because they tend to be full of superfluous detail. And that's something that is showcased to great effect with the AE's.

themouseholecat
Silver Age

05 May 2012, 13:37 #12

Yes, in terms of detail Alex Toth is almost the complete antithisis of EC-era Wally Wood (although Wood simplified his own style a lot more in the 60's and 70's).

Agree that the AE format is probably not the best way to present Toth's work.

Nearly all of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez's work has been done for DC, so that probably rules him out of an Artist Edition.

The more I think about it, the more likely Bernie Krigstein seems to be. "Master Race" is certainly one of the most inflential comics stories of all time.

BP25
Modern Age

05 May 2012, 16:32 #13

I would love a Williamson AE but Krigstein would be a great choice. I would love to see an expansion of philosophy on this line to include comic strips or an anthology book covering multiple artists where the availability of original art is hard to get for any one of them.

BTW for any Krigstein fans out there the special Krigstein issue of Squa Tront (#6) from 1975 is up for sale on Ebay from Dolgoff Comics for $15. There are 9 copies available at this writing. I ordered a copy and was amazed by the condition. It looks new. 

BP25
Modern Age

14 Jun 2012, 03:54 #14

[font='HELVETICA NEUE', ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]Found this on Scott Dunbier's twitter. Would be a real seller I think.

Kurt Busiek @KurtBusiek
Wouldn't one of those IDW Artist's Editions of AMERICAN FLAGG be great? Don't know if it's even possible. @sdunbier will tell me it's not.

Expand

[/font]

[font='HELVETICA NEUE', ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]6 JunDavid Marshall ‏@InkyDavid
@KurtBusiek @sdunbier It's possible. Chaykin said he still has the original art. I saw a few in the early '80s ... at a convention.5:45 PM - 6 Jun 12

[/font]
Last edited by BP25 on 16 Jun 2012, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

BonanzaGuy
Bronze Age

16 Jun 2012, 01:51 #15

I just want to know when the pre-orders go up for the San Diego exclusive AEs

Allen Smith
Modern Age

16 Jun 2012, 17:17 #16

If it were possible, a Reed Crandall or Al Williamson (heck, both!) artist's edition would be very nice. The problem of course is that not much original art has survived from sixty/seventy years ago, in the case of Crandall's prime work on features like Doll Man and Blackhawk. Of course Crandall did do a lot of work for EC, and some work for Warren.

Allen Smith

dcmarvelnut
Bronze Age

17 Jun 2012, 02:40 #17

I thought there was to be a Jack Davis Artist Edition in the works.
I'd like a Al Williamson or a Frazetta.

KingOtterpop
Modern Age

17 Jun 2012, 14:57 #18

There is a Jack Davis in the works but since they've had issues getting the larger editions out on time (Wally Wood (including the 2nd ptg) and Eisner) I'm guessing they're waiting until they're absolutely ready to go before soliciting it.

Matteo
Bronze Age

18 Jun 2012, 15:38 #19

I wish there could be books for Kirby, Ditko, Heck and Ayers.

Hell, even if it wasn't a full story. Just the pages. The pages-!

Jimbits76

20 Jun 2012, 09:26 #20

Just had an email stating that The Spirit is pushed back until end of August 2012. I reckon with the pair due soon and then Tarzan and Jack Davis, we may not see The Spirit until 2013!!!!