Artist Editions Discussion thread (IDW, Dark Horse, etc)

Let's talk about all non-Marvel and DC comics, like EC Archives, Image, Crossgen, Dark Horse, and other Indie comics!
MY Posts - NEW Posts - UNREAD Posts
deejayway
Registered Member
Joined: 14 Apr 2005, 04:10

13 Nov 2017, 15:57 #8581

edulopez wrote:
artinca wrote:We get it, you don't like this edition, something tells me if Fantagraphics did sell theses as prints you would find a problem with them.
Your sarcasm is not appreciated. This is a thread to talk about this type of books, so I am entitled to express my opinion about them. Or perhaps I am mistaken and you only can write here if you suck up the publishers? I tell it as I see it. Can I remind you of the dozens of Artist's Editions I have written about too and in which I have found no flaws whatsoever??

And no, if Fantagraphics released prints in the same size and quality as the one that goes with the book, I would be perfectly happy with them, wise guy.
Don't let him bother you Edu. I appreciate your comments and candor. You've saved me some money and sleepless nights prevaricating.
Read between the lines or you'll fall through the cracks.

Quoting other people is no substitute for thinking for yourself.

On farcebook: Comicidal Maniac - Mystic Master of the Martial Arts - sWords of Sorcery -
Gothic Mansions of Secrets & Mystery
Reply

edulopez
Registered Member
Joined: 20 Jun 2005, 05:39

13 Nov 2017, 16:12 #8582

Thanks for the words, pal!
Reply

Medieval Guy
Registered Member
Joined: 29 May 2003, 09:11

13 Nov 2017, 16:30 #8583

You may be the pickiest dude around, but you're OUR pickiest dude around! 😉
Reply

M59
Registered Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2015, 22:46

13 Nov 2017, 16:35 #8584

Ed I appreciate your candor as well. People should be free to criticize without being sniped at. 

That said, I am really looking forward to the Charles Vess book.  
Reply

artinca
Registered Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 15:30

13 Nov 2017, 16:51 #8585

edulopez wrote:
artinca wrote:We get it, you don't like this edition, something tells me if Fantagraphics did sell theses as prints you would find a problem with them.
Your sarcasm is not appreciated. This is a thread to talk about this type of books, so I am entitled to express my opinion about them. Or perhaps I am mistaken and you only can write here if you suck up the publishers? I tell it as I see it. Can I remind you of the dozens of Artist's Editions I have written about too and in which I have found no flaws whatsoever??

And no, if Fantagraphics released prints in the same size and quality as the one that goes with the book, I would be perfectly happy with them, wise guy.
I'm no shill for any publisher & have no connection to any, my opinion is you grossly overstated the flaws the PV edition has, its not perfect like most editions, I just think your expectations were too broad & extensive. But you're right, you are entitled to your views, I'll try not be so cheeky in future posts.
Reply

VDPloeg
Registered Member
Joined: 16 Sep 2014, 10:22

13 Nov 2017, 16:56 #8586

Posted my review of P. Craig Russell’s Jungle Book And Other Stories Fine Art Edition last week: https://aeindex.org/reviews/p-craig-rus ... t-edition/

Almost done my The Book Of Ballads, The Original Art Edition review. A really great book.
Scott VanderPloeg, EiC Comic Book Daily & Artist’s Edition Index.
Reply

M59
Registered Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2015, 22:46

13 Nov 2017, 22:26 #8587

Great review of the Vess book Scott! Thanks for your reviews. 
Reply

kirbyesque
Registered Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2016, 22:53

14 Nov 2017, 01:48 #8588

If I can afford one of the PCR books (a big if) which one should I get. The Dr. Strange or the Jungle book?
They are both beautiful.
Reply

cfd
Registered Member
Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 01:54

14 Nov 2017, 02:57 #8589

VDPloeg wrote: Posted my review of P. Craig Russell’s Jungle Book And Other Stories Fine Art Edition last week: https://aeindex.org/reviews/p-craig-rus ... t-edition/

Almost done my The Book Of Ballads, The Original Art Edition review. A really great book.
This is no does doubt a dumb question. But does this art edition look substantially different from the regular published Book of Ballads? Considering it apart from size of course, which certainly does count for a lot.

It is sometimes hard to tell from seeing the scans on a computer screen, but given that the images in your preview look at my remove almost as polished as the little hardback edition that came out a while back (and it was gorgeous) I am wondering if it is worth getting in terms of capturing Vess' creative process, aside from the extras with the the sketch material and thumbnails you mention?
Reply

deejayway
Registered Member
Joined: 14 Apr 2005, 04:10

14 Nov 2017, 06:04 #8590

kirbyesque wrote: If I can afford one of the PCR books (a big if) which one should I get. The Dr. Strange or the Jungle book?
They are both beautiful.
If I had to choose, which I don't as I can't afford either, I would definitely go for the Jungle Book.
Read between the lines or you'll fall through the cracks.

Quoting other people is no substitute for thinking for yourself.

On farcebook: Comicidal Maniac - Mystic Master of the Martial Arts - sWords of Sorcery -
Gothic Mansions of Secrets & Mystery
Reply

VDPloeg
Registered Member
Joined: 16 Sep 2014, 10:22

14 Nov 2017, 11:47 #8591

cfd wrote:
VDPloeg wrote: Posted my review of P. Craig Russell’s Jungle Book And Other Stories Fine Art Edition last week: https://aeindex.org/reviews/p-craig-rus ... t-edition/

Almost done my The Book Of Ballads, The Original Art Edition review. A really great book.
This is no does doubt a dumb question. But does this art edition look substantially different from the regular published Book of Ballads? Considering it apart from size of course, which certainly does count for a lot.

It is sometimes hard to tell from seeing the scans on a computer screen, but given that the images in your preview look at my remove almost as polished as the little hardback edition that came out a while back (and it was gorgeous) I am wondering if it is worth getting in terms of capturing Vess' creative process, aside from the extras with the the sketch material and thumbnails you mention?
The art is polished for the most part: no visible pencils, some corrections. Since we're all art fans here the draw is to see the art at 10" x 15": the cross hatching and ink work is very impressive. There are 19 pages of extras with scripts and thumbnails. As well the price is quite reasonable compared to the other publishers.
Scott VanderPloeg, EiC Comic Book Daily & Artist’s Edition Index.
Reply

VDPloeg
Registered Member
Joined: 16 Sep 2014, 10:22

14 Nov 2017, 11:48 #8592

kirbyesque wrote: If I can afford one of the PCR books (a big if) which one should I get. The Dr. Strange or the Jungle book?
They are both beautiful.
I don't think we can say until Strange Dreams Artist's Edition is released and we can see both. Should have my copy this week and a review up next week.
Scott VanderPloeg, EiC Comic Book Daily & Artist’s Edition Index.
Reply

kirbyesque
Registered Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2016, 22:53

14 Nov 2017, 12:56 #8593

I will be waiting to see that Scott.
Reply

cfd
Registered Member
Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 01:54

14 Nov 2017, 23:26 #8594

Thanks Scott V. You are right size really matters in these books.

Also I agree about waiting and seeing before weighing in on Strange Dream. I was looking at the Killraven gn the other day and the color is really quite cruel to the art. I think both the Killraven and the Dr. Strange material will look pretty darn good without that hurtful varnish.
Reply

Krelborn86
Registered Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 06:02

15 Nov 2017, 05:44 #8595

kirbyesque wrote: Was at the Big Apple convention today and talked with Steranko. He assured me that Steranko AE Vol 2 will be out this year. Said he had one piece of art to do and yhen finish the design. It will have full color (I assume in the new art pages) and be a massive 260 pages.
He was very excited about it and he was sincere about the timing. Fingers crossed.
Been away for some time. Any word from Steranko on how it is coming. Only about 47 days left of this year.
Reply

kirbyesque
Registered Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2016, 22:53

15 Nov 2017, 14:08 #8596

Krelborn86 wrote:
kirbyesque wrote: Was at the Big Apple convention today and talked with Steranko. He assured me that Steranko AE Vol 2 will be out this year. Said he had one piece of art to do and yhen finish the design. It will have full color (I assume in the new art pages) and be a massive 260 pages.
He was very excited about it and he was sincere about the timing. Fingers crossed.
Been away for some time. Any word from Steranko on how it is coming. Only about 47 days left of this year.
It won't happen this year. (So he didn't keep his word 😞 ). I asked Scott D. here about it and he said in respect for Steranko, better to say nothing. So I think we are going into the 4th year since solicitation with no date in sight.
Reply

themouseholecat
Registered Member
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 21:51

15 Nov 2017, 15:45 #8597

4 years is nothing - I'm still waiting for Steranko's remastered version of Red Tide that was originally solicited for release in December 1999
RED TIDE
 created, written, & illustrated by Jim Steranko
 After emerging as Marvel Comics' most controversial superstar, Jim Steranko tackled his greatest artistic challenge: creating an entirely new medium, the visual novel-not an illustrated novel or novel-length comic book, but a seamless fusion of interdependent graphic and prose narratives forming a powerful and original new method of telling stories. An artistic tour-de-force, Red Tide is hard-boiled detective fiction in the bare-knuckle tradition of Hammett, Cain, and Chandler, as well as the dark, atmospheric milieu of film noir. Dark Horse is proud to reintroduce this landmark work, remastered with state-of-the-art digital colors and incorporating new illustrations and text especially created by Steranko for this edition. On sale December 8
 SC, 144pg, FC $14.95
A mere 10 and a half years later, it was solicited again, this time for release in June 2010
 
RED TIDE
 Jim Steranko (W/A)
 On sale Jun 23
 FC, 128 pages
 $19.99
 HC, 7" x 10"
 After emerging as Marvel Comics' most controversial superstar, Jim Steranko tackled his greatest artistic challenge: creating an entirely new medium, the visual novel-not an illustrated novel or novel-length comic book, but a seamless fusion of interdependent graphic and prose narratives forming a powerful and original new method of telling stories. An artistic tour-de-force, Red Tide is hard-boiled detective fiction in the bare-knuckle tradition of Hammett, Cain, and Chandler, as well as the dark, atmospheric milieu of film noir. Dark Horse is proud to reintroduce this landmark work, remastered with state-of-the-art digital colors by Eisner Award-winner Dave Stewart, in a collector's quality hardcover edition.
It's now November 2017, and still no sign of this book (although there is rumoured to be an AE-type version of Red Tide on the way from Dark Horse).
Last edited by themouseholecat on 15 Nov 2017, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reply

mcmac
Registered Member
Joined: 09 Apr 2011, 04:06

15 Nov 2017, 19:36 #8598

Were the new illustrations and text part of that missing 16 pages, I wonder?
Reply

kirbyesque
Registered Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2016, 22:53

15 Nov 2017, 21:11 #8599

Steranko showed me pages of that about 6-7 years ago. Really beautiful, done in heavy black pencil, no inking. But at least he has the excuse that he has to sit and draw all the new pages.
The AE are pages he drew 50 years ago. All he is doing is designing the book layout. Something Randall Dahlk seems to do in a month or so.
Reply

Medieval Guy
Registered Member
Joined: 29 May 2003, 09:11

15 Nov 2017, 21:36 #8600

But let's face it, Steranko (great as he's been) has always had attention-span issues.

Maybe he and Windsor-Smith could start a support group..?
Reply