Artist Editions Discussion thread (IDW, Dark Horse, etc)

Let's talk about all non-Marvel and DC comics, like EC Archives, Image, Crossgen, Dark Horse, and other Indie comics!
MY Posts - NEW Posts - UNREAD Posts
HighlandRay
Golden Age

July 12th, 2018, 11:08 am #10441

edulopez wrote:
wahprods wrote: I was originally only going to sell the Fine Art Editions directly via the campaigns and website only, but I'm hoping to make everything available later via Diamond just so you non-U.S. folks can get some relief on the shipping costs. ;)
That's what I understood, Highlandray. Or at least that's the intention.
Yes, it does look like you are right. 
As someone else noted above there are a lot of these wonderful books coming within weeks of each other. Hard on the old pocket.
Too old to die young

Citizen Wayne
Bronze Age

July 12th, 2018, 11:13 am #10442

I lay mine flat - largely out of fear that the heaviness of the pages will eventually lead to fatigue on the sewn binding. In terms of AE storage, we're getting some renos done to our living room, including a window bench in the bay window. I've ensured that each of the three drawers below the bench (below is a stock image, not an actual photo) are large enough to store eight or so twice-up AEs lain flat.

VDPloeg
Modern Age
VDPloeg
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 11:15 am #10443

Canadians, we should try and band together to get these crowdfunded volumes. I believe a group of us is within one hour of Toronto and perhaps we could order multiple copies for shipping savings.

Alternatively, Wayne had said the cost for shipping two internationally was the same as shipping one so now that a third is offered, is the cost still the same to ship three? Just checking.
Scott VanderPloeg, EiC Artist’s Edition Index & Comic Book Daily.

VDPloeg
Modern Age
VDPloeg
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 11:18 am #10444

The 100th AE format book will be coming out this summer (who knows which it will be) but at that time I'll be doing some additional posts regarding this eight-year period.

One thing I'll be looking at is how the books have held up being vertical in my closet since purchase.

Please let me know what you'd like to see me look at in honor of the 100th volume. I have them all so comparisons can be made.

HighlandRay
Golden Age

July 12th, 2018, 11:29 am #10445

You must have a big closet.
Too old to die young

VDPloeg
Modern Age
VDPloeg
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 11:55 am #10446

HighlandRay wrote: You must have a big closet.
I talked about it last year and posted a photo. Took our spare bedroom and made it a library. Pulled out the normal closet bar and shelves and added three shelves using 2"x6" boards. It was great until this year, because it's full. Will need to rethink or redo.

Medieval Guy
Golden Age

July 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm #10447

Come out of the closet!  It's nothing to be ashamed of!

VDPloeg
Modern Age
VDPloeg
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 1:19 pm #10448

Medieval Guy wrote: Come out of the closet!  It's nothing to be ashamed of!
The bookshelves are full and there are stacks of books everywhere in the room. If the AE format books can't fit in the closet anymore I really don't know where they'll go.

rockysausages
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm #10449

HighlandRay wrote: Ok, now I’ve got all these books with more coming, how do I stack them. I don’t keep them in the box, so should they be vertical as below or flat

5AE4E219-49E4-44B4-878A-CC542DDB15FA.jpeg
Contrary to what others may say, books should be stored just as you have them. 

rockysausages
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 2:04 pm #10450

VDPloeg wrote: Canadians, we should try and band together to get these crowdfunded volumes. I believe a group of us is within one hour of Toronto and perhaps we could order multiple copies for shipping savings.

Alternatively, Wayne had said the cost for shipping two internationally was the same as shipping one so now that a third is offered, is the cost still the same to ship three? Just checking.
I'm pretty close to Toronto myself. Anyone else? 

rockysausages
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 2:09 pm #10451

For Canadians looking at Lone Wolf & Cub Gallery Edition, Amazon has it for $82.28 and Indigo has it for $90.34. With the code JUNESUN, you get it for $81.31, plus 5X Plum points --today is the last day.

Prices include tax.

wahprods
wahprods

July 12th, 2018, 2:51 pm #10452

VDPloeg wrote: Canadians, we should try and band together to get these crowdfunded volumes. I believe a group of us is within one hour of Toronto and perhaps we could order multiple copies for shipping savings.

It's actually a bit more to ship multiple books now (up to around $100 to ship three Fine Art Editions internationally). I don't mind subsidizing some of that cost, though, so I just added Selfish Giant 2 and 3-Packs to the campaign:

https://igg.me/at/sgfae/x/718844

That way you guys can buddy up and get 2 or 3 books shipped for the cost of shipping one. 😉
Wayne Alan Harold Productions
Independent art books, comics, fine art prints and more!
http://wahprods.com

wahprods
wahprods

July 12th, 2018, 2:55 pm #10453

I also lowered the shipping costs on the "Catch-Up Sets," so if you missed out on the PCR Jungle Book and PCR Salome Fine Art Editions, you can get both of those along with the upcoming Selfish Giant volume . . . and you only have to pay shipping costs for one book. 😀

https://igg.me/at/sgfae/x/718844

cromagnonman
Modern Age
cromagnonman
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 3:01 pm #10454

Wow 100 volumes, I currently have 14 which will increase to 17 soon. I have plans to acquire around 40 eventually.

wahprods
wahprods

July 12th, 2018, 4:14 pm #10455

I had a quick question for anyone who knows how the Diamond ordering system works:

I'm sure that we'll have plenty of PCR Jungle Book Fine Art Editions to go around—I have close to 240 books still available--but I'm just wondering what happens if Diamond orders, say 250 copies? Doing they then allocate orders to the shops?

Thanks in advance if anyone has an answer!

VDPloeg
Modern Age
VDPloeg
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm #10456

wahprods wrote: I had a quick question for anyone who knows how the Diamond ordering system works:

I'm sure that we'll have plenty of PCR Jungle Book Fine Art Editions to go around—I have close to 240 books still available--but I'm just wondering what happens if Diamond orders, say 250 copies? Doing they then allocate orders to the shops?

Thanks in advance if anyone has an answer!
My perspective comes from the retailer end of Diamond but when stock is limited on a solicited item and the orders exceed the supply they allocate.

sdunbier
Modern Age
sdunbier
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 8:00 pm #10457

Hey, Folks, sorry for not dropping by for a LONG time... I need to catch up on about 20 pages of posts here... hopefully after Comic-Con.

In the meantime, a quick announcement. The Artist's Edition panel on Friday is going to be shortened to only 15 minutes. The panel will basically be one (nice) announcement, something that really has me excited. The reason for the abbreviated panel is because I was asked to put together a Steve Ditko memorial panel by Comic-Con's organizers and the only openings were at 8:00 on Friday and Saturday nights (yikes!), so we are going to do it in the AE slot (like the Wrightson one last year). The AE panel is from 4:00 to 4:15 on Friday, leading immediately into the Ditko one from 4:15 to 5:00 (Comic-Con told us they won't kick us out early, we have until 5:00). And, no, the announcement is not a Ditko book. Even if it was, not appropriate to announce it here... 

Anyway, sorry again for being AWOL, it's been a very busy and unusual time for me, but I will try and chime in more often.

Hope to see some of you at Comic-Con, please stop by and say hello.

Best,
Scott

cfd
Bronze Age
cfd
Bronze Age

July 12th, 2018, 8:49 pm #10458

rockysausages wrote:

I'm pretty close to Toronto myself. Anyone else? 
I'd love to be part of this and help out. But being from Halifax, does that basically mean the same as saying I'm from Moscow? If I can help fellow Canadians and help myself let me know!

kirbyesque
Modern Age
kirbyesque
Modern Age

July 12th, 2018, 11:49 pm #10459

Hey Scott, we await your non-Steranko announcement. ;)
Have a great Con.

Dave Wallace
Modern Age
Dave Wallace
Modern Age

July 13th, 2018, 3:45 am #10460

cromagnonman wrote: Wow 100 volumes, I currently have 14 which will increase to 17 soon. I have plans to acquire around 40 eventually.
I had about a dozen at most, but I ended up selling most of them off as I found I wasn't pulling them out that often to look at after the initial read. Partly due to the bulky format and having to store them away from my regular bookshelves.

The handful I've kept have been the absolute favourites: Frank Miller's Ronin, DKR and Daredevil; and the Mazzucchelli Born Again volume. They are all amazing books that I don't think I'll want to part with any time soon.

I love the format, but it's also not one that I've found particularly practical long-term.