One for the gripper

One for the gripper

May 27th, 2006, 1:07 am #1

Those who have visited www.youtube.com know that when you click on any video, a list of videos with like tags appears on the right-hand side of the video. I had clicked on the video of Alisa where she crushes a pear with her hand and noticed two videos about a 12-year-old lifting a 22.5 pound blob. Not having the foggiest idea of what a "blob" is, I clicked on the videos. I discovered that a blob is kind of like an irregularly shaped ball about the size of a grapefruit, and blobs come in different weights.First of all, this girl is extremely strong for her age. In one video she gripped the blob with one hand and stood erect with it with no discernible effort. In the second video she gripped it and pressed it over head like nothing! Most 12-year-old boys would probably have some difficulty pressing a 22.5 pound dumbbell over their heads with one arm, much less a bulky ball-shaped object.Number two, besides the fact that this girl is definitely an up-and-coming strong girl who will have an incredible grip when she grows up if she keeps on exercising, I'm still not sure what a blob is, so maybe someone can help me. Is a blob a hard object like a baseball that has little or no give to it, or is it somewhat pliable to facilitate gripping it? Let me know.Old Timer, I thought of you when I saw the girl's video because of the 14-year-old girl you knew when you were in your teens who squeezed tennis balls that had small holes in them. She would probably have been good with a blob.

Avi

benj
benj

May 27th, 2006, 2:53 am #2

Apparently a blob is one end of a cast iron dumbell. Hardly flexible.

Old Timer
Old Timer

May 27th, 2006, 8:11 am #3

Those who have visited www.youtube.com know that when you click on any video, a list of videos with like tags appears on the right-hand side of the video. I had clicked on the video of Alisa where she crushes a pear with her hand and noticed two videos about a 12-year-old lifting a 22.5 pound blob. Not having the foggiest idea of what a "blob" is, I clicked on the videos. I discovered that a blob is kind of like an irregularly shaped ball about the size of a grapefruit, and blobs come in different weights.First of all, this girl is extremely strong for her age. In one video she gripped the blob with one hand and stood erect with it with no discernible effort. In the second video she gripped it and pressed it over head like nothing! Most 12-year-old boys would probably have some difficulty pressing a 22.5 pound dumbbell over their heads with one arm, much less a bulky ball-shaped object.Number two, besides the fact that this girl is definitely an up-and-coming strong girl who will have an incredible grip when she grows up if she keeps on exercising, I'm still not sure what a blob is, so maybe someone can help me. Is a blob a hard object like a baseball that has little or no give to it, or is it somewhat pliable to facilitate gripping it? Let me know.Old Timer, I thought of you when I saw the girl's video because of the 14-year-old girl you knew when you were in your teens who squeezed tennis balls that had small holes in them. She would probably have been good with a blob.

Avi
I have no idea what a blob is. My first thought at seeing the work in connection with weight lifting was that it would be a large irregular shape that probably is not solid. it probably wriggles around into different shapes as one tries to lift. down below your entry, somebody else described as the ends of a barbell. That hardly coincides with my first impression. your description following was about a large ball. i have ot at this moment searched for the pics you describe, but I think your explanation more closely follows my original thought. That is very definitely quite a feat to lift that much weight when it does not want to stay in one shape. I will check it out.
As to my friend squeezing the tennis balls, I do not recall that there were any holes drilled. Somebody else made the remark as a possibility. I know i could not do the same with a t-ball even tho i was two or three years older, strong for my age and used to milking cows everyday. I had a strong grip but could not crush a T-ball. She could not crush them completely, but could make a little pop when she stopped squeezing. Her father could literally crush the ball so the strength did come naturally. As you observed, and so have I, there are many strong people out there who you would never suspect as being so powerful. they do not look powerful, but for certain specific feats of strength, they are very surprising. I have not seen any total body pics of our friend Alysa when she is totally relaxed, but from as near as i can make out, she does not have that constant appearance of powerfu muscles, yet, I would not stand a chance against her in any type of power event. She is one exciting lady, as is the competitor, Kara Mann talked about earlier.
Old Timer

May 27th, 2006, 10:15 am #4

Avi
After reading the two replies to my original post "One for the Gripper," I did a quick search, and it does appear that a Blob is solid and made by the York Barbell Company. When I have more time, I'll look a little further.

In doing my search, however, I came across a web site featuring a man named Wade Gillingham. He is 6'2" tall, weighs 275#, and is a professional strongman. The site said he was the fourth person in the world to deadlift a 50# Blob and the first person to press a 50# Blob overhead. (The site also lists many other feats of strength by this man.)

I bring up the information on Mr. Gillingham because it really emphasizes how strong the little girl must be. I mean if it takes 6'2", 275-pound professional strongman to press a 50-pound Blob, think how strong, comparatively, that 12-year-old girl really is since she is probably about 1/3 his age and weight. Since she is already pressing with great, great ease a 22.5# Blob, one day she will no doubt have her own web site as a professional strongWOMAN who may well press a 50# Blob herself.

Avi

wgonzo64
wgonzo64

May 27th, 2006, 5:36 pm #5

can somebody post the link???

Avi
Avi

May 28th, 2006, 1:57 pm #6

Here is a video of the 12-year-old girl named America gripping, then lifting the 22.5 pound blob over her head. If you go to www.youtube.com and put the word "blob" in the search box, you can bring up also a video of her simply lifting and holding the blob in her hand. Believe it or not, her goal is ultimately to lift the 50-pound blob; although I do not know if that goal is to lift it overhead or simply to lift it,if she accomplishes EITHER feat it will put her in the category of a 275-pound professional strongman.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>