What if WW2 never happened?

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

31 May 2018 06:45 #1

So, we'll accept that Hitler took power and set Germany on the path to war. But, in 1937, after he reveals his plans to his subordinates, for world domination, several of the Generals are horrified that Germany could be plunged into another horrific war.
Hitler and his main henchmen are "removed" in early 1938.

Fast forward to 1945, and a now recovered Germany is hosting an airshow at Berlin Tempelhof.

The RAF send over some of it's premier fighters for display.

One of these is the Boulton Paul Defiant, seen as the premier anti-bomber fighter. Resplendent in it's highly polished metalwork, the Defiant, along with the RAF's main frontline fighter, the Hurricane, were stars of the show.

DSC_0018 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0020 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0019 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0021 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0023 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0022 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night

Disorder
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

31 May 2018 07:48 #2

Thats a beautiful metal finish :clap:
Regards, Paddy.

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

31 May 2018 09:42 #3

Lovely mate
Regards Mark

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

31 May 2018 10:46 #4

A beautiful finish Paul, Alclad?
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

Simon G
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

31 May 2018 10:49 #5

Ooh . . . Errr . . . Very nice. :cool

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

31 May 2018 10:58 #6

Olde Farte wrote:A beautiful finish Paul, Alclad?
Yes. High Speed Silver and Airframe Aluminium

They come out very nice, but I have a problem with the names. The "Aluminium" looks more like Steel (the darker colour), and the "High Speed Silver", isn't.....High speed silver is the unofficial name for the silver used on post war RAF aircraft, either all over, or on the undersides. That finish is painted on, and is more like an aluminium paint. Alclad's version is definitely a bare metal look.
If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

31 May 2018 12:28 #7

Seeing as how it is a whiff of sorts perhaps it wasn't HSS but highly polished metal for the display, whatever, it still looks good.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

31 May 2018 12:47 #8

Olde Farte wrote:Seeing as how it is a whiff of sorts perhaps it wasn't HSS but highly polished metal for the display, whatever, it still looks good.
In this case it would be polished bare metal.

My problem is Alclad are selling a paint as HSS, which isn't.

We hunt by day and night

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

31 May 2018 13:32 #9

DevilFish wrote:
Olde Farte wrote:Seeing as how it is a whiff of sorts perhaps it wasn't HSS but highly polished metal for the display, whatever, it still looks good.
In this case it would be polished bare metal.

My problem is Alclad are selling a paint as HSS, which isn't.
Which is what I said......................... :whistle

Have you thought about mentioning it to them? They have a contact page here. http://alclad2.com/contact/consumers/

I'm surprised they haven't been screaming their heads off over on Britmodeller, seems right up their street as it would be a hanging offence there.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

31 May 2018 14:13 #10

Olde Farte wrote:
Have you thought about mentioning it to them? They have a contact page here. http://alclad2.com/contact/consumers/

I'm surprised they haven't been screaming their heads off over on Britmodeller, seems right up their street as it would be a hanging offence there.
I complained about some of their products at Telford last year and walked away with a bunch of free paints. But the complaint was that they weren't spraying properly.

I'm happy with the way it comes out, as long as I don't use it as HSS. I have better paints for that.

We hunt by day and night

beowulf
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

31 May 2018 15:44 #11

very nice, kinda works in that finish

and an interesting ATL
The other Paul

muerte al enemigo que vuela

beowulf
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

31 May 2018 15:52 #12

actually its a VERY interesting ATL

if it wasnt for WW2 then.........

we wouldnt have had the massive leap in armament development that we got
america wouldnt have been the massive manufacturing base it has become......or the big player on the worlds scene
and neither would USSR have become what it did/has,.......and the communist block wouldnt have happened.......or indeed NATO
we wouldnt have had the break up of the empire in the same way
no nuclear weapons or space race in the way we know it
The other Paul

DH764
etch bender
etch bender

31 May 2018 16:11 #13

That Defiant looks so right in that NMF .....I really like that !! :wub:
No WW2....that certainly raises some debate ....as beowulf says ...no arms race / space race / nukes .
Very thought provoking .

Andy
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Fin !!
IPMS Cleveland and UK Member
IPMS Panavia Tornado SIG Leader
IPMS EE.Lightning / Luftwaffe /AIRFIX /MIG /IDF /UKCAF / SIGs member.

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

01 Jun 2018 07:59 #14

That is the thing, isn't it? I've seen people do Spitfire Mk24s in pre-war colours, with the "WW2 didn't happen" tag. Well, if WW2 didn't happen, the Spit 24 wouldn't exist! In fact, in my time line, the Spitfire would be a minor player, equipping maybe 2 squadrons at most. It was expensive and hard to manufacture, so, it's unlikely that in a peacetime environment, it would have survived, leaving the Hurricane the premier fighter.
Engine and weapon development would have stalled too.
I think the jet engine would still be around, just as a research project, as Whittle and that German guy both had prototypes before the war. Maybe Germany takes the lead on jet and rocket technology?

We hunt by day and night

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

01 Jun 2018 08:31 #15

Don't forget the Soviet Union had already arisen and they could still have annexed the Bloc countries, Japan had already caused big problems in the far East long before major events in Europe so there would probably have been enough for the world to kick off with WW-2. Don't forget also that if it hadn't happened some of us may not necessarily have been born because of jobless families and inherent poverty. We would not have had displaced foreign fighters over here which alone created many mixed race marriages and families with others being conceived behind the Nissen huts so to speak. No RACISM intended.

Ernest Rutherford had conceived the idea of splitting the atom during the early years of the 20th Century so Nuclear technology was already around.

It does make one wonder though how things could have turned out.

Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

01 Jun 2018 08:42 #16

Well, Del, I know for a fact that I wouldn't be here. My dad met my mum when he was stationed at Nordhorn in Germany. No war, no RAFG, no me!

We hunt by day and night

tc2324
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

11 Jun 2018 19:20 #17

Only just seen this on here. Very nicely done mate, looks very :cool
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

25 Jun 2018 08:13 #18

I posted this on here, What-If SIG and Britmodeller.

Guess where the problems are? Yep, BM! Got a whole debate going on about how, WW2 would still have happened, and the politics behind it, as well as some guy saying my post should be pulled because it's politically incorrect, as it marginalizes all those innocents who died because of Hitler....OMG...really??? Talk about taking a model too seriously!!!

We hunt by day and night

beowulf
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

25 Jun 2018 16:07 #19

DevilFish wrote: as well as some guy saying my post should be pulled because it's politically incorrect,
makes me want to join BM just to add fuel to the fire :whistle

bet the same muppet sent an angry letter to revell about flying saucers :rolf :rolf :rolf
The other Paul

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

26 Jun 2018 07:42 #20

Ah BM, the rivet counters favourite site, makes one proud to have one's head out of the sand and being normal. Wish I was still there as I would really stir them up.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf