Westland Lynx HAS.2

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

04 Jul 2018 11:37 #1

Joining in with this build will be my Lynx HAS.2.

Starting with this kit;

My Lynx is to be a unique helicopter in the distant past of the Royal Navy - which one will be revealed in a later update. The excellent kit needs a fair bit of conversion.

Main rotor blades - the kit blades need the paddle tips removing and a straight blade section grafting on, to make the correct length. The root profile needs amending also.

Tail rotor blades - The HAS.2 tail rotor went anti-clockwise when viewed from the port side - the kit tail goes clockwise, so this direction needs reversing.

The kit tail rotor blades are shown correctly for an aircraft that isn't running. The blades are correctly canted outboard. The blades need removing to mount them correctly. I'll explain why this needs to be done later.

Strengthening plates on the kit fuselage and tail boom didn't exist in the early 1980's, so they need cutting and sanding off.

Horizontal stabiliser - The kit version is the short one with a Gurney Flap. I need to fabricate a new, longer version without the flap.

Reverse Gearbox - this needs to be removed from the tail pylon.

Other modifications are relatively minor, but the kit needs some considered work to backdate it. Should be fun!

Regards,

Nigel

:grin:
On the bench;

Not a Lynx (for a while).
My modelling philosophy. 1. Build. 2. Enjoy. 3. That's it really!

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

04 Jul 2018 13:10 #2

Sounds as though some fun is on the horizon Nigel. :pop
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

04 Jul 2018 14:28 #3

I'm confused already
Regards Mark

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

04 Jul 2018 19:53 #4

Before anyone mentions it, I know there's a resin conversion kit out there, but now I have some mojo back I feel like some old fashioned modelling!

:WHIP :WHIP :WHIP

(Having written that, it won't surprise me if I regret the decision)
On the bench;

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

05 Jul 2018 12:42 #5

I just want to know what a Gurney flap is....
If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

05 Jul 2018 20:20 #6

DevilFish wrote:I just want to know what a Gurney flap is....
One of my favourite subjects Paul!

In straightforward terms, it's a piece of metal at the trailing edge of the Lynx horizontal stabiliser, that sticks up vertically from the top surface.

The following link to our "How to" guides, explains a bit more.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/Mainly_Military/topic/766680/

Nigel
On the bench;

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

06 Jul 2018 10:01 #7

Thanks for that! lol
If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

07 Jul 2018 09:18 #8

Nikon User wrote:
DevilFish wrote:I just want to know what a Gurney flap is....
One of my favourite subjects Paul!

In straightforward terms, it's a piece of metal at the trailing edge of the Lynx horizontal stabiliser, that sticks up vertically from the top surface.

The following link to our "How to" guides, explains a bit more.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/Mainly_Military/topic/766680/

Nigel
Sorry Nigel but there's me thinking it was a flap on a stretcher to allow the wind to pass through.

Yeah, I know I'll get my hat.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

08 Jul 2018 18:25 #9

UPDATE

As mentioned before, the Alley Cat conversion is out there - and I have one sitting nearby as I type - but having found my modelling enthusiasm has returned, I've decided to go a little "old school" and carry out all the conversion from my HMA.8 kit to become a HAS.2 from around 1980 by using more traditional modelling methods.

Starting with some easy stuff...

Under the fuselage, between the main wheels, the kit has the Doppler antenna, moulded on a box structure (marked in red). For my aircraft the kit antenna needs to be cut off and the antenna plate (but not the housing box) must be re-located to the front of the aircraft.

Once cut off with a razor saw, the sides of the box were trimmed away with a craft knife, to leave the antenna plate, which was then fixed to it's correct location - on the right of the photo.

Next up was the tail boom. This was assembled from the two halves, being careful to select the boom type that folds. At the area that is the aft end of No.3 drive shaft, there's a gap that, on the more modern aircraft, is filled with a DSP (Digital Signal Processor). The first photo shows the gap, and the second shows what would be there on the later model.

The next photo shows a piece of plastic card and some old round sprue to fill the gap, making it take less filler to create the rounded profile.

The boom was finished with filling and sanding. That's it for the first update - more of the easy stuff in a couple of days!

Regards,

Nigel
On the bench;

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

09 Jul 2018 10:32 #10

You are a sucker for hard work Nigel but it works and well.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

09 Jul 2018 20:24 #11

Very cool
Regards Mark

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

10 Jul 2018 19:30 #12

UPDATE 2

The tail boom is now ready for primer, having completed the filling and sanding of the DSP aerial on top of the drive shafts. This first photo shows two more areas that need to be modified on the tail fin.

Marked in red at the top is the reverse gearbox cover. The original Lynx had the tail rotor turning anti-clockwise (when viewed from the left side) but in later versions, the rotation was made clockwise, so this is what my kit has. The way Westlands reversed the rotation was by way of a modified gearbox, resulting in a protrusion on the right side of the fin. For my HAS.2 version, I have cut off the reverse gearbox bulge and filled the resulting hole. Below that, also marked in red, is a fairing that needs to be removed by sanding it flat to the surrounding surface.

With the fin attached to the boom, all serious modifications to the tail are complete. The tail rotor is going to be a separate subject - and I'm not looking forward to it!

Another area tackled to date is the nose of the helicopter. The kit nose has a radar fairing on the underside, where I need a smooth nose cone. The large round fairing, marked in red, is to be cut off with a razor saw.

The hole on the underside of the nose cone was impressive! :ohmy

The hole was patched from the inside with plastic card and the gap filled with some plastic tubing, to reduce the amount of filler needed.

After filling with Perfect Plastic Putty, the sanding was started :WHIP

All in, the build has moved on quite well. I think the next update will feature the sponson, so I can then get the fuselage halves closed up. More soon.

Regards,

Nigel

On the bench;

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

10 Jul 2018 20:56 #13

:pop
Regards Mark

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

11 Jul 2018 06:31 #14

Amazing work!

We hunt by day and night

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

11 Jul 2018 07:30 #15

:pop
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

12 Jul 2018 11:31 #16

UPDATE 3

Time for more modifications. There are enough to keep me busy for a while. :WHIP :WHIP :WHIP

The horizontal stabiliser supplied with the kit is the short version, complete with the Gurney Flap. For the HAS.2 helicopter I need to file off the Gurney Flap (shown sticking up at the trailing edge) and lengthen the unit by adding a section of plastic.

Two pieces of plastic were bonded to achieve the correct thickness for the leading edge of the stabiliser

A straight edge was cut and the new plastic bonded to the kit supplied stabiliser. This photo shows my new stabiliser cut to the correct length with the sanding started, to give the correct aerofoil profile.

The main engine cover needed some work to remove the aft section of the top air intake and exhaust scoop on each side. This photo shows the port side done, and the starboard side section to be removed marked in red. At the bottom of the cover is the rather fierce and prominent moulding seam left by Airfix when the kit was produced - this must be removed on both sides!

Here's a test fitting of the engine and transmission covers. With the 1/48 Airfix Lynx, there are different combinations of some of these parts, depending on which version of Lynx you're building.
Test fitting is a good thing!
:whistle

Test fitting of the partially painted cabin module

Another two areas to fill flush with the aft fuselage surface are the square recesses for the Orange Crop ESM antennae

The cabin and fuselage halves are now closed up

The build is going well up to now, but sooner or later, the tail rotor is waiting to ruin my day/week.

More soon.

Regards,

Nigel

On the bench;

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

12 Jul 2018 14:13 #17

After all this work Nigel the tail rotor will be a doddle.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

14 Jul 2018 09:51 #18

UPDATE 4

The sponson and main blades are receiving attention this time.

The kit sponson has angular tips, where I need the smoother bullet shaped fairings for my HAS.2 I cut away some fairly large chunks of plastic and then used the tip & tail from a fuel tank out of the spares box to graft on to make the rear bullet fairings. In this photo you can see I've started to cut away plastic at the top, and see the portion of the fuel tank I'll be using. It took a lot of sanding and shaping to achieve the required profile.

With the left side done, I now had to make the right side look the same - :WHIP

The sponson, nose cone and upper deck fairings were fitted - it's starting to look like a Lynx!

Please believe me when I say I could bore anyone half to death on the subject of Lynx aerodynamics. I'm not pretending to be an expert by any means, but I find it a fascinating subject. Here, I'll try to refrain from my favourite topic, and just say that the Lynx has had two types of main rotor blade fitted - one with paddles and one without. I need the straight version, so the paddles were cut off.

Airfix supply two sets of main blades in their kit, so there's plenty of plastic to use to create new tips. My method is to cut the paddles off at about 45 degrees, to give a decent contact area for the new tips. The leading edge of the main blade needs to be 103mm long. I tape the large blade section to a metal ruler, with the leading edge root 103mm from the end of the ruler. That tells me what the new section needs to look like. I size the new plastic on top of the main blade, marking the angle to cut with a pen. Using this method, the angle isn't critical, and can be slightly different on each blade.

Once cut and sanded, the new blade is taped firmly down and clamped, to be left overnight. As there's room at the other end of the ruler, it seemed rude not to do the same there, so two blades can be modified at once.

With one end of the blades sorted, attention turned to the blade roots. With the earlier blade, the root profile was deeper. Westlands made it more shallow on the later blade, so I needed to create and add a fillet.
Cut from plastic card and bonded on, filler was applied and they were left overnight to cure. Lots of sanding was then done to reduce the card to the correct blade profile. Lots & lots of sanding... :whistle

The end result - four finished main rotor blades :party

I'm not sure what's next, but I'll post an update in a few days. I'm really enjoying this build!

Regards,

Nigel
On the bench;

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

14 Jul 2018 12:18 #19

So are we Nigel.........................
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

mac1677
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

15 Jul 2018 05:45 #20

Cracking build Nigel, great modifications :cool
Regards

Mac