Strandbeest

peebeep
resin fondler
resin fondler

12:44 PM - Jan 21, 2018 #1

What are Strandbeest? They are the brainchild of artist/designer Theo Jansen who's been making large, wind powered robots since 1990. When I first saw these on a Youtube video I was mesmerised and when I saw this model advertised I immediately bought one! Here's some Strandbeest in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewVEF2B_pM

The model ends up 20cm long, 13cm wide and 17cm tall.

BTW, strandbeest is Dutch, strand = beach, beest = beast.

Here we go, adding rubber feet to the legs.

Adding con-rods to the legs. You get the feeling that these will fall off easily during assembly and you wouldn't be wrong. ;)

Test fitting the main frame and crankshaft. You have to pull it apart to fit the legs, because the bottom rods on the frame are the axles.

You have to make sure the frame and crankshaft orientation is as per the instructions, I thought I had it right....

...but continuing anyway, you split the frame components and wiggle the legs in.

Then you add more con-rods that control the motion from the crankshaft to the legs. I mentioned earlier, the parts at this stage are a loose fit and come apart easily, but once all the connecting rods are added it all holds together. No glue is required at any time. Eventually you end up with two of these sub-assemblies.

The two sub-assemblies are then push fitted together after looping the supplied clear elastic into the frame then running around each end to stop it all from coming apart. Next up fit the turbine. You add the card sails to the five blades and they're held in place with plastic collars. A couple of cog wheels can then be push fitted, add the sails and away you go. Except I had the the crankshaft the wrong way round. Disassemble, disassemble! The legs will stay in place but I had to pop off the con-rods at which point other bits started to fall off! Once the crankshaft was put the right way around it only took a short time to put it all back together again, add the cogs and finally the sails.

There is very little friction in the whole thing and the sails spin easily with a small puff of wind. It works! the motion is obviously robotic, but there is something organic and insect like about it. This has been a hoot to put together and it's kept me occupied in a very happy state today. Highly recommended

PS: The jet noise in the video is a hair drier providing the wind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4AabVf5U30
peebeep aka Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
www.locate-and-cement.com
IPMS Locate and Cement website
RevellAtions

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

12:51 PM - Jan 21, 2018 #2

thats bizzar!!
Regards Mark

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

2:03 PM - Jan 21, 2018 #3

This is WEIRD.......................!!!!!!!!! Where in hell do you find them Paul.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

beowulf
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

2:52 PM - Jan 21, 2018 #4

thats brilliant

gotta get me one of those!
The other Paul

muerte al enemigo que vuela

peebeep
resin fondler
resin fondler

3:06 PM - Jan 21, 2018 #5

Olde Farte wrote:Where in hell do you find them Paul.
Ebay is your best bet. Far east suppliers will do them for six or seven quid posted, I've seen a couple recently under a fiver. Takes a couple of weeks to arrive.
peebeep aka Paul Brown
RevellAtions

TomTheCat
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner
TomTheCat
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner

10:09 PM - Feb 17, 2018 #6

That's truly weird! I don't know why, but some of these reminded me of Star Wars AT-ATs...

By the way, how exactly do you link Youtube videos so that they show like "previews" (like in the first post) instead of just a link?
"How can you shoot women and children?"
"Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much!"
Full Metal Jacket

peebeep
resin fondler
resin fondler

1:02 PM - Feb 18, 2018 #7

TomTheCat wrote:By the way, how exactly do you link Youtube videos so that they show like "previews" (like in the first post) instead of just a link?
Using the full post editor press the flash button. With the video you want to link open in youtube, copy the URL from the address bar and paste it into the Flash dialogue. It will ask you to specify the frame height and width, I usually use 640x400 or 600x375. If the resulting frame is too big for the video resolution reduce it by using the editor, you will be able to see the numbers that you need to adjust to make it smaller.
peebeep aka Paul Brown
RevellAtions

Disorder
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

1:33 PM - Feb 18, 2018 #8

Absolutely amazing - Both the full scale and model versions.
Regards, Paddy.

Grayhawk
Rivet Counter
Rivet Counter

4:10 PM - Feb 18, 2018 #9

That's one creepy little device. My dog would go nuts! Very Cool! FTOSOTP
Douglas E. Summers

TomTheCat
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner
TomTheCat
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner

12:53 AM - Feb 20, 2018 #10

peebeep wrote:Using the full post editor press the flash button. With the video you want to link open in youtube, copy the URL from the address bar and paste it into the Flash dialogue. It will ask you to specify the frame height and width, I usually use 640x400 or 600x375. If the resulting frame is too big for the video resolution reduce it by using the editor, you will be able to see the numbers that you need to adjust to make it smaller.
Thanks Paul :cool
"How can you shoot women and children?"
"Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much!"
Full Metal Jacket

jelly071
Rivet Counter
Rivet Counter

5:22 PM - Feb 20, 2018 #11

Paul brought it along to the last club meeting. It was cool and strange
Mike Mawhood
IPMS 12171
IPMS Rivenhall Branch secretary come and join in the Fun

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

12:59 PM - Feb 21, 2018 #12

Now that's a bit different!
If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night