One Wing Biplanes

robunos
Brush Painter
Brush Painter

3:16 PM - Jul 04, 2018 #1

"In the autumn of 1912, following the crashes of a couple of monoplanes, the Royal Flying Corps brought into force the infamous 'Monoplane Ban'. Though it was rescinded some months later, the damage was done, and it would be over thirty years, before monoplanes entered widespread service with the RAF. But, what if the 'Monoplane Ban' never happened? What if monoplanes became established before the outbreak of the Great War?"

As it says above, this is the idea behind One Wing Monoplanes, to get an idea of what aircraft would have been like, had monoplanes been accepted sooner . . .
Of course, the real reason for doing this, is to build these models without having to mess with all those fiddly struts and things, especially with the older kits, which don't 'sef-jig' . . . :angry:
Another reason is to play with different colour schemes, such as modern schemes on Great War aircraft. I've not done any of these yet, but I've got some ideas. Another idea I've had is early equivalents of modern aircraft concepts, watch this space . . .
Anyway, here are a few of my current favourites.

A Hawker Fury,

A Sopwith Pup,

A Boeing Stearman trainer.

Bristol Fighter,

Originally, the idea was to only have low-wing aeroplanes, however some types don't look right with low wings, so now I allow mid and shoulder wings, as well, like this one.

Von Richthofen's Fokker Scout,

cratch-building and conversion is allowed, as well . . .
De Havilland DH.2,

So, here is a flavour of One Wing Biplanes. More will be added as things progress, and I'm already planning for the 'Whiff 7' GB next year . . . :grin:

cheers,
Robin.

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

7:49 AM - Jul 05, 2018 #2

Cool idea.

Do you use the original lower wing, or do you use the upper wing in the lower position? I ask, because quite often, the upper wing has more area than the lower.
If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

9:04 AM - Jul 05, 2018 #3

:cool
Regards Mark

robunos
Brush Painter
Brush Painter

8:23 PM - Jul 05, 2018 #4

@Devilfish . . .
It depends . . . you have to look at the kit and how it goes together, and photos and drawings of the aircraft, to see what effect looks best. in the examples above, the Pup just has the bottom wing, as per the instructions, with the strut holes filled. The Stearman also has the bottom wing. The top wing is longer, but there are no ailerons, so would have to be scribed in. The fuselage is curved, and the bottom wing is in one piece, so the centre section would need to be cut out, the top wing split in half, and glued to the bottom centre section. Some dry fitting showed that the bottom wing looked ok, so I went with that.
The Fury has the top wing simply cut in half, and glued to the fuselage sides. The Bristol Fighter is the same, but I used the top wing, because the strut holes are on the bottom, and I can get away without filling them . . . :whistle
With some models, no matter how you try, the wings from the kit just don't look right, and you have to use other ones. That's the case with the Fokker Scout. It started off as the Fokker Triplane, and the wings are just too small to look realistic, so I used Fokker D.VII wings, cut down to a suitable size. Also this model didn't look right as a low-winger, hence I built it with shoulder-mounted wings.
So to summarise, I have an idea of how I want the model to be, then I play with the parts until I get something that looks and works right . . . great fun!

cheers,
Robin.

Cimmerian
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

8:50 PM - Jul 05, 2018 #5

For some reason I can't see them.
I am Groot

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.?

Regards, Ken

On the bench

Simon G
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

11:23 PM - Jul 05, 2018 #6

Cimmerian wrote:For some reason I can't see them.
Nope, nor can I.

robunos
Brush Painter
Brush Painter

12:58 PM - Jul 06, 2018 #7

OK, chaps, I've edited my first post, try that . . .

cheers,
Robin

Simon G
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

1:03 PM - Jul 06, 2018 #8

Ahh. . . That's better, very good.

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

9:14 AM - Jul 07, 2018 #9

I think these are the beez kneez Robin, what a fabulous idea and I'm now thinking a bi-plane MiG-21 with struts but no rigging.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

Cimmerian
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

3:45 PM - Jul 07, 2018 #10

Much better now, interesting idea.
I am Groot

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.?

Regards, Ken

On the bench

robunos
Brush Painter
Brush Painter

7:43 PM - Jul 20, 2018 #11

Freshly emerged from the One Wing Biplane hangar, is this Albatros D.III. Built from the Revell kit 04062, with markings 'adapted' from the kit scheme. The kit machine guns were replaced with ones from a Revell Fokker D.VII, as they look better than those in the original kit.

cheers,
Robin.

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

12:50 PM - Jul 21, 2018 #12

Looks great Robin even if a bit weird.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

robunos
Brush Painter
Brush Painter

9:46 PM - Jul 25, 2018 #13

What's wrong with weird? :cool:

cheers,
Robin.

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

10:34 AM - Jul 26, 2018 #14

robunos wrote:What's wrong with weird? :cool:

cheers,
Robin.
Nowt mate and I'm still considering the other way with a biplane MiG.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

robunos
Brush Painter
Brush Painter

8:12 PM - Jul 26, 2018 #15

Then get to it! There's even a theoretical basis for such a thing, google 'Busemann Biplane' . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

8:47 AM - Jul 27, 2018 #16

I haven't touched a model for at least 5 weeks now as I cannot work in this heat so have a 1/48th MiG-23BN sitting partially completed, also both me and my wife have/are going through a lot health wise being both drugged up to our eyebrows.

I only have a stash of 36 kits now and unless I get the inclination back am seriously considering leaving the hobby altogether, time will tell.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

robunos
Brush Painter
Brush Painter

8:48 PM - Jul 27, 2018 #17

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems, hope they'll soon be resolved . . .
After years building kits as a kid, I stopped in 1986,and moved on to other hobbies and interests. I actually kept a stash for many years before selling it, then in 2006, on a total whim, bought a kit, built it, and I'm still here. You may leave the hobby, but the hobby never leaves you . . .

cheers,
Robin.