I Feel the Need!

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

12 Jun 2018 17:56 #1

well for my GB im going to build a Tomcat, however im not sure which one im going to build, im hoping to get some old decal plans i have printed

Regards Mark

mac1677
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

12 Jun 2018 19:20 #2

Nice choice :cool :cool I have the Italeri version which I plan to do as an Iranian bird.
Regards

Mac

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

13 Jun 2018 07:02 #3

Last time I felt the need the missus clocked me one.................... :whistle

I like the Tomcat and the idea of an Iranian one would be different and you now have a choice of the original desert camo or the new modern (lovely) greys which are being applied after each major upgrade.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

13 Jun 2018 08:09 #4

It does amaze me that, even after years of having no support whatsoever, the Iranians have managed to keep the Tomcats flying, let alone upgraded them!
If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

13 Jun 2018 08:51 #5

There was an article in 'Combat Aircraft' magazine a few months ago about them and there have been some upgrades with technical assistance from the Russian Federation for radar and electronics, strip downs and rebuilds but they still carry the old weapon set up with unused and also reverse engineered AIM-54s and a couple of the Russian AAMs. They also carry a new desert splinter camo as well as the greys.

Interesting article here. https://theaviationist.com/2015/03/01/i ... verhauled/
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

Disorder
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

13 Jun 2018 11:51 #6

Looking forward to that.
Regards, Paddy.

DevilFish
canopy polisher
canopy polisher

13 Jun 2018 15:01 #7

Olde Farte wrote:There was an article in 'Combat Aircraft' magazine a few months ago about them and there have been some upgrades with technical assistance from the Russian Federation for radar and electronics, strip downs and rebuilds but they still carry the old weapon set up with unused and also reverse engineered AIM-54s and a couple of the Russian AAMs. They also carry a new desert splinter camo as well as the greys.

Interesting article here. https://theaviationist.com/2015/03/01/i ... verhauled/
Wow! I bet the Russians loved getting their hands on an F-14, even if they are not used anywhere else.

That would make an interesting build, fitted with Russian missiles!
If anything I write can be taken two ways, and one way upsets you, I meant it the other way!

We hunt by day and night

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

13 Jun 2018 16:27 #8

maybe the second one but my first will be USN, im still trying to get my top gun decals printed to a good quality but if not she will be OOB for now
Regards Mark

mac1677
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

13 Jun 2018 19:42 #9

Del, here are the decals I have, and I am leaning towards one of the grey options :cool

Regards

Mac

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

14 Jun 2018 10:50 #10

Oh nice Chris, my favourite colour.

One of the Russian missiles is the R-73A and if you want some I have a few complete with the correct launch rails if you want them and would be carried in the same place as the Sidewinders.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

27 Jun 2018 21:31 #11

update, hopefully if sourced some 'topgun' decals from the film so 1 of the kits will be 'Ices' kite

the second kit will prob be OOB at some point down the line
Regards Mark