1:48 Italeri Grumman F7F Tigercat

DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler
DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler

30 Jun 2018 13:33 #1

Classic Naval twin from the final period of the Second World War. No Navy really took to using a twin from Carrier decks at that particular time, and even after, the Sea Hornets and Sea Mosquitos had an operational career from Decks which was fairly brief. It's a type which, all the same, saw a decent amount of service and numerous airframes survived for flying in civilian hands, not least those committed to firefighting operations in the USA and Canada.

Unremarkable but nice kit. Lots of acreage on the decal sheet and a bit of underwing armament.

As usual, SFTB.

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

30 Jun 2018 15:07 #2

thats a subject i didnt expect seeing, i look forward to it
Regards Mark

Simon G
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

30 Jun 2018 16:03 #3

It's not a bad kit, I built one a few months back. Some small issues that require a little care such as the fitting of the rear canopy section and the engine cowl/nacelle joint but nothing that detracted from enjoying the build.

Do not underestimate the mount of nose weight required, I did and ended up having to add more by pouring some epoxy covered lead shot into the nose wheel bay.

DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler
DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler

30 Jun 2018 16:06 #4

Simon G wrote:It's not a bad kit, I built one a few months back. Some small issues that require a little care such as the fitting of the rear canopy section and the engine cowl/nacelle joint but nothing that detracted from enjoying the build.

Do not underestimate the mount of nose weight required, I did and ended up having to add more by pouring some epoxy covered lead shot into the nose wheel bay.
I'm cheating - it will be displayed in flight! :yipee

Simon G
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

30 Jun 2018 16:10 #5

DLG Dave wrote:
Simon G wrote:It's not a bad kit, I built one a few months back. Some small issues that require a little care such as the fitting of the rear canopy section and the engine cowl/nacelle joint but nothing that detracted from enjoying the build.

I'm cheating - it will be displayed in flight! :yipee
. . . . A cunning plan!

mac1677
heavy weatherer
heavy weatherer

01 Jul 2018 05:33 #6

:pop
Regards

Mac

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

01 Jul 2018 08:39 #7

Nice..............I believe the full size aircraft was prone to tail sitting when unfuelled.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler
DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler

01 Jul 2018 14:00 #8

Olde Farte wrote:Nice..............I believe the full size aircraft was prone to tail sitting when unfuelled.
In the kit there's actually a moulding of an oil drum with a box sitting on it to prop the tail onto. Whether that might be accurate for NAS Sanford in 1947 is probably questionable, but it's certainly not out of the question for a diorama set in a corner of Kimpo airfield in 1951.

DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler
DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler

03 Jul 2018 18:48 #9

Cockpit is like the rest of the kit, just fine for my purposes. There's nothing else I'd really want to see and the IP is fairly well presented. There's a decal for the panel but I didn't really see a need for it. It would take a fair swamping with decal solution and with a driver in the seat, to no real meaningful advantage.

So the next bit reminded me a little of my experience with the Tamiya Skyraider. Once the interior is complete, you get the rest of the airframe together and you realise you're on the home straight.

Mark M
Plastic Legend
Plastic Legend

03 Jul 2018 18:56 #10

Looking good
Regards Mark

blainecole
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner
blainecole
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner

04 Jul 2018 03:25 #11

That is a fine looking aircraft.
There ain't no slack in fast attack

Beaver
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

04 Jul 2018 07:42 #12

A classic design. Good progress.
On the bench;

Not a Lynx (for a while).
My modelling philosophy. 1. Build. 2. Enjoy. 3. That's it really!

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

04 Jul 2018 08:06 #13

A nice start and you have to have the box and oil drum to hold it up, will look good.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler
DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler

08 Jul 2018 10:20 #14

The engines are really the only significant secondary sub-assemblies and for most purposes they're just fine for anyone. If you wanted to build a diorama with cowlings open they'd probably need a bit of extra attention but I can't see why anyone would find them wanting for a normal build.

Props need a bit of work cleaning the seams but otherwise again they're just fine.

As mentioned by a contribution earlier, the cowling fit is a bit indifferent so the model is currently in the sunshine curing some milliput filling the gaps. With a bit of luck, I could well be getting the primer on by the end of today.

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

08 Jul 2018 10:33 #15

I would be more than happy with those engines Dave, they look fine.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

blainecole
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner
blainecole
airbrush beginner
airbrush beginner

08 Jul 2018 12:42 #16

Fine work. The metallic finishes are first rate.
There ain't no slack in fast attack

Disorder
Kit reviewer
Kit reviewer

08 Jul 2018 17:17 #17

Very nice work.
Regards, Paddy.

DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler
DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler

08 Jul 2018 18:52 #18

Cheers all.

Went a bit further than Primer....

Should get all the decal on tonight with a bit of luck.

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

09 Jul 2018 10:30 #19

Very nice.

It's probably the photo Dave but your Sea Blue Gloss looks pale to my old eyes compared to photos of the real thing.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler
DLG Dave
resin fondler
resin fondler

09 Jul 2018 16:57 #20

Olde Farte wrote:Very nice.

It's probably the photo Dave but your Sea Blue Gloss looks pale to my old eyes compared to photos of the real thing.
Hi Del, yes the flash has lit up the colour a bit and exaggerated it. It's darker than that in the flesh. However, the model is set in 1950 and the colour is still matt non-specular sea blue, before the distinctly different (and admittedly more attractive) Midnite blue came along. Non=specular sea blue is lighter than Midnite blue and greyer. Monochrome photos show a very dark hue, as does the footage in wartime colour stock. Hopefully when finished I'll get some phots where the real shade isn't compromised by a camera flash or strong sunlight.