Moderators: Johni044, peebeep

1/400 Typhoon Class Soviet Submarine

jacksdad64
Rivet Counter
Rivet Counter

05 Mar 2016 08:27 #1

The Project 941 or Akula, Russian "Акула" ("Shark") class submarine (NATO reporting name: Typhoon) is a type of nuclear-poweredballistic missile submarinedeployed by the Soviet Navy in the 1980s. With a submergeddisplacement of 48,000 tonnes, the Typhoons are the largest class of submarine ever built, large enough to accommodate decent living facilities for the crew when submerged for months on end. The source of the NATO reporting name remains unclear, although it is often claimed to be related to the use of the word "typhoon" ("тайфун") by Leonid Brezhnev in a 1974 speech while describing a new type of nuclear ballistic missile submarine, as a reaction to the US Navy Ohio-class submarines.

The Russian Navy canceled its Typhoon modernization program in March 2012, stating that modernizing one Typhoon would be as expensive as building two new Borei-class submarines. With the announcement that Russia has eliminated the last SS-N-20 Sturgeon SLBMs in September 2012, the remaining Typhoons have reached the end of service.

This a re-release of a kit first done in 1989 and is done in black plastic.

Hull top and bottom parts.

Sprue contain the rest of the parts.

Close ups of the detail including the 'tile effect' for the surface. Some will like it but in this scale I feel the lines are a little to deep.

Instructions are in Revell's now standard colour format which I really like.

Colour sheet and the decals, which are very well done.

While this is a very well done example of the worlds largest submarine it does have a bit of a problem.

This is the rear end as depicted in the kit.

This is the real thing. As you can see the propellor arrangement lacks the circular housing and the bottom rudder should be set much further back.

This has been attributed to the fact that when the kit was being designed they did know what it looked like under the surface and so produced a best guess. However, aside from that this is a well detailed kit and I have seen lovely examples built and along with the Revell 1/400 USS Dallas will give you the two main protaganists of the Hunt for Red October.

Oh, and did I say it was big?

Recommended.

Many thanks to Revell for the review sample.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit ;

Revell Website

Revell Facebook

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

05 Mar 2016 11:15 #2

Another nice review and thanks for pointing out the errors. Do these photos mean that you are a spy by trade.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

jacksdad64
Rivet Counter
Rivet Counter

05 Mar 2016 11:26 #3

Olde Farte wrote: Do these photos mean that you are a spy by trade.
:ninja: if I told you I would have to kill you.

Olde Farte
Modelling God
Modelling God

05 Mar 2016 11:27 #4

jacksdad64 wrote:
Olde Farte wrote: Do these photos mean that you are a spy by trade.
:ninja: if I told you I would have to kill you.

Sorry Sir, Mr nice man etc.
Delboy AKA Papa Smurf

Manyana, "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

Jonesy113
resin fondler
resin fondler

05 Mar 2016 14:12 #5

A very intriguing kit - great research too :grin:
On the Bench:
Airfix 1/48 Harrier GR3
Airfix 1/48 Canberra B(I)8

On the Shelf:
A family of Harriers, mainly in 1/48 (GR7, FRS1, FA2) some in 1/72 (GR5, T10).
Trio of Eurofighter a Typhoons in 1/48 (EF2000, Single seater and Twin seater).
1/48 Spitfire Mk9
1/72 B17
1/48 Tornado F3
1/48 Alpha jet
Many more...