Hey dude, thanks for such a great app!
If I was you, I'd do the following bro...
Improve and promote the Template area much more... to make it like a curated "Template Store"
- upload your own "optimised" templates, which replicate popular functions/apps
- remove all the duplicate and less efficient templates... to keep things tidy and easier to use
- encourage experienced users to upload their complicated Templates... so newbies can gain high level functionality with ease
Publicise this on the Play Store with lots of examples... showing how MacroDroid can easily replace a dozen other apps etc
Give people one month of Unlimited Macros, when they first download the app
- this will get people addicted to downloading templates and creating their own
- after the month ends, it goes back down to just 5 macros... so people will have to delete all the extras
This will help push people to buy the app:
- as they'll actually know what they are missing, having used the app to it's full potential
- plus the act of choosing/removing Macros, which they now realise they can't live without, will be painful!
Currently, I'd guess most users just set up a couple of simple Macros for free - so don't truly experience the power and convenience the app offers!
Then, similar to what the poster above said - charge a little more for extra Macros... working up to Unlimited at full price
- so you get 5 Macros for free... and pay £0.49 for a pack of another 5, and again 49p for another 5 etc
- until they have bought 5 packs (= £2.45 total) which unlocks Unlimited Macros...
Pricing is crucial - unfortunately apps costing more than 99p (or actually 77p as most are priced in dollars!) are a tough sell - especially when it's difficult for "average" mobile users to appreciate the benefit... so offering a way for people to pay a small sum for extra utility, will help bring in much more revenue... as well as bringing in a lot more "impulse" buys as 49p is so low that people won't hesitate as much
However the biggest way to make money from this niche market - is to beat the competition, specifically the leading and most well known app... which I'd guess is Tasker?
No doubt it will take a lot of time and effort - but if MacroDroid can eventually emulate Tasker, and replicate everything that it does... then I think it's inevitable that you will steal its crown as the Number One App!
Once you make it to the top spot - the money will start rolling in like you wouldn't believe!
Good luck... and don't forget about us when you're a millionaire!