Moderator: sylux102

Dark Cloud 2 [PS2]

FMPraxis
FMPraxis

1:48 PM - Feb 14, 2014 #1

Several months ago I looked up info on modding DC2 and I discovered that apparently no one has ever cared enough to try. Or Google was just being a douche to me. either way I've been using some of my spare time since then examining the files and, even though I'm not done yet, I thought I would go ahead and share what I have so far, so here's a verbatim copy of my notes on all the contents of the disk:
[+] Spoiler
Folder: MODULES
I have objdump log files of all the IRX (ELF) files.

Folder: MOVIE
.PSS files seem to just be renamed .MPG files

File: DATA.DAT
Obviously, this is data. Stuff at the beginning looks like NPC behaviors,
followed by Georama goals? Might be some kind of compiled script.
Upon closer examination, it looks like this may be an archive similar to SOUND.DAT,
but with more than one type of file. Some files look like they may be plain text scripts.

File: DATA.HD2
Appears to be an archive. See Sound.HD3 below

File: DATA.HD3
More archive?

File: DMMY
typical PS2 dummy file

File: SCUS_927.13
typical PS2 file

File: SOUND.DAT
Appears to be entirely RIFF MIDI (.rmi) files loaded back to back
Correction: these are not MIDI files, I was thrown off by the "RIFF" at the start of them, they appear
to be waves. whatever they are, media player plays them just fine so they can't be too weird.

File: SOUND.HD3
Looks like some kind of archive format, appears to have a file table at the end.
If it is a file table, this file contains entirely .wav files.
... I need to look into the possibility that this file itself IS the file table for SOUND.DAT

File: SYSTEM.CNF
version, etc. no secrets here.
If you have better information, please share it, and I hope this is helpful to someone other than myself.

Flotilla
Flotilla

9:10 PM - Feb 20, 2014 #2

Do you mind if I ask how you managed to open sound.dat? I've been trying on and off for a few years (not too hard, I admit), but I've never been able to do it.

You're doing any awesome thing here, BTW! Hope to see some TCRF-worthy material stem from all of this.