Mark 16:9

Anything to do with Christianity can be discussed here.

Mark 16:9

rstrats

24 Nov 2011, 02:18 #1

A poster on another board, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesnt really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, it has generally been my experience that  first day proponents many times use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change of observance from the seventh day to the first day, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, frequently quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: Quote a published author who has done that. - I have not yet been able to come up with one.  Does anyone here know of one?

admin
Site Admin

27 Dec 2011, 04:44 #2

rstrats:3060 wrote:A poster on another board, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesnt really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, it has generally been my experience that first day proponents many times use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change of observance from the seventh day to the first day, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, frequently quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: Quote a published author who has done that. - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?
The truth is that the Sabbath day cannot be changed by the resurrection.
It remains the Sabbath day. Christ rising from the dead is nothing to do with Sunday being used. The first believers still kept the sabbath day holy.

Sunday is the 7th day here and Monday the first day of the week.
But now Christ has come the Sabbath being Saturday to the Jews is the Sabbath day. But Jews no longer worship God in Jerusalem or anywhere else because the believers worship God in their hearts.
Tear this Temple down and in three days I will rebuild it.
The true God is worshipped in Spirit and Truth from the heart and not from in a building. They worship every day not just a sabbath.
A useless argument comes to mind. Think about it!

rstrats

27 Dec 2011, 12:51 #3

admin,

Do you have any information with regard to my request in the OP?

admin
Site Admin

02 Jan 2012, 10:18 #4

Sorry Strats,

I thought you have a knowledge of the bible itself.
The facts are clear on the matter of the sabbath day.
Nowhere in the bible did Jesus, the disciples or God change or declare the Sabbath day should be changed.

The first day of the week would be the day after the sabbath day.
So if Sunday was the first day after the Sabbath day the first day of the week then Saturday would be the 7th day and so the true Sabbath.

There is nothing in the bible that would change the facts that Sunday was not the Sabbath but the first day of the week.

The Roman Catholic Church instigated that Sunday was to be kept and it was to be a revealtion by them nothing to do with the bible.
Catholic Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947

"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctified." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73

"If protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath Day, that is Saturday. In keeping Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church." Albert Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the cardinal in a letter of Feb. 10, 1920.

"The Catholic Church,... by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday.
" The Catholic Mirror, official organ of Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893.
So Saturday is the Sabbath day.
But the true covenant is what counts because the new covenant shows that keeping the Sabbath day is about God caring for man.
God did not make man for the sabbath day but the sabbath day for man.
It benefited man and now the new covenant is here then Gods Temple is mankind not buildings. Man keeps the Sabbath day in his heart.

rstrats

02 Jan 2012, 13:37 #5

admin,

re: Sorry...I thought you have a knowledge of the bible itself.  

I'm afraid that I still dont see what your comments have to do with my request in the OP.  I am simply looking for the name of a published author who argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because of the idea of a first day resurrection and who uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day resurrection.

rstrats

12 Jan 2012, 12:11 #6

admin,

re: Sorry..., I thought you have a knowledge of the bible itself. The facts are clear on the matter of the sabbath day. Nowhere in the bible did Jesus, the disciples or God change or declare the Sabbath day should be changed.

Thats an issue for another topic.  This one is only interested in identifying an author who argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because of the idea of a first day resurrection and who supports a first day resurrection with Mark 16:9.

admin
Site Admin

29 Jan 2012, 10:41 #7

Hi rstrats,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Let me apologise for the length of the post because of the quotes from the KJV bible and also the fact I have hope to enlighten you to understand why there are no published authors and why the change would not be of concern to those in the New Covenant.
rstrats:3250 wrote:admin,

re: Sorry..., I thought you have a knowledge of the bible itself. The facts are clear on the matter of the sabbath day. Nowhere in the bible did Jesus, the disciples or God change or declare the Sabbath day should be changed.

Thats an issue for another topic. This one is only interested in identifying an author who argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because of the idea of a first day resurrection and who supports a first day resurrection with Mark 16:9.

Your mind set has been altered by the argument and you are not reasoning according to what you have found written.

1And when the sabbath was past,

2.And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

The hours between Sundown and Sunrise were not classed as any day the previous or the one coming. We have a 24 hour clock now but the days for the Jews in those times lasted from sun up to sundown.

James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of our Fathers, 88th ed., pp. 89.

"But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify."

You will only find writings in the vatican itself. The Church scholars and scribes who upon the changing of the day to Sunday made it official.
There are no writings by any other type author who makes any argument for the sabbath day. Saturday is the day given for the Sabbat with Sunday being the first day of the week. But we class Monday as the first day of the week which makes Sunday the 7th day.

When God gave the command to Moses they were in the middle of desert and they had to work 6 days and rest on the seventh.
God said the 7th day is to be a rest day and keep it holy.
What day of the week did God say this on?

The most important of all truths which is taught in Jeremiah by God is the New Covenant.

Jeremiah 31:31-34

King James Version (KJV)

31Beh.old, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32.Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33.But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34.And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
The Old Covenant which God made was broken by them.
In Jeremiah God tells them the New Covenant is not going to be according to/like the Old Covenant.

God is going to place inside the person his laws and write it on their hearts. Christ the first in that he by the power of Gods Holy Spirit did not sin and had the words to say when tested.

The Church of God today is a living Church that like the Prophets of Old are taught by God through the Spirit.

Christ has given rise to this in John 4 he tells them that no one will worship God in Jerusalem or anywhere else....(Temple...sabbath day) because the true worshippers will worship God in Spirit and Truth.
They themselves become the Temple of God because God dwells in the them by the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus comfirming this in
20.Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

21.That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22.And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23.I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Whilst the answer is there are no published authors outside the vaticans own changes through scholars and scribe records.
The new covenant shows that the believer fulfills the requirement of the covenants because they worship God in Spirit and Truth. God with them in the Holy Spirit.

Sorry it is not what you hoped for. But hopefully some of it's truth may actually help you when it comes to the teachings in the OT about the New Covenant in Christ.

Admin

rstrats

29 Jan 2012, 11:39 #8

admin,

re: ...I have hope to enlighten you to understand why there are no published authors...

re: You will only find writings in the vatican itself.

I find it hard to believe that there are no authors (outside of the RCC)  who have written that the first day of the week is to be observed by Christians because of the idea of a first day resurrection.  I know that whenever I ask non-Catholics why they observe the first day that they invariably mention that it is in honor of the resurrection.

admin
Site Admin

30 Jan 2012, 12:35 #9

Hi rstats,
rstrats:3293 wrote:admin,

re: ...I have hope to enlighten you to understand why there are no published authors...

re: You will only find writings in the vatican itself.

I find it hard to believe that there are no authors (outside of the RCC) who have written that the first day of the week is to be observed by Christians because of the idea of a first day resurrection. I know that whenever I ask non-Catholics why they observe the first day that they invariably mention that it is in honor of the resurrection.

But that would not make it a Sabbath day.
The Sabbath day is Holy because God made it so.
We remember many days but the Sunday is not a the Sabbath is it?

So the Sabbath day has not changed. The Sunday does nto need honouring because the day is not important to the resurrection....it is the resurrection itself.

I hope you can find what you are looking for,

Admin.

rstrats

12 Apr 2012, 10:32 #10

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.