Something which is profoundly true about atheist.

Joined: March 1st, 2011, 5:11 pm

May 8th, 2012, 6:32 am #1

They argue that God should act now regarding Child torturers and abusers.

That would mean God has to act now about all sins.

What is your take on this?

Could the bible be any clearer about the date of judgement?
Quote
Like
Share

horsethorn
Moderator
horsethorn
Moderator
Joined: August 22nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

April 9th, 2014, 8:52 am #2

Cheeky Young Minx's...:3891 wrote:They argue that God should act now regarding Child torturers and abusers.

That would mean God has to act now about all sins.

What is your take on this?

Could the bible be any clearer about the date of judgement?
That's not quite accurate. Atheists would argue that, if your god existed and is as described, he should act about these things, especially the omni-benevolent version.

ht
...then you will understand the truth - that there is no signature
Quote
Like
Share

admin
Site Admin
admin
Site Admin
Joined: February 19th, 2011, 6:27 pm

April 10th, 2014, 11:33 pm #3

horsethorn:5941 wrote:
Cheeky Young Minx's...:3891 wrote:They argue that God should act now regarding Child torturers and abusers.

That would mean God has to act now about all sins.

What is your take on this?

Could the bible be any clearer about the date of judgement?
That's not quite accurate. Atheists would argue that, if your god existed and is as described, he should act about these things, especially the omni-benevolent version.

ht
expand giving arguments for.

LOVE the LORD thy God with all thine heart, mind, body, soul and strength.LOVE your neighbour as you LOVE yourself.. in this way you love me.
Quote
Like
Share

horsethorn
Moderator
horsethorn
Moderator
Joined: August 22nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

April 11th, 2014, 8:20 am #4

admin:5943 wrote:
horsethorn:5941 wrote:
Cheeky Young Minx's...:3891 wrote:They argue that God should act now regarding Child torturers and abusers.

That would mean God has to act now about all sins.

What is your take on this?

Could the bible be any clearer about the date of judgement?
That's not quite accurate. Atheists would argue that, if your god existed and is as described, he should act about these things, especially the omni-benevolent version.

ht
expand giving arguments for.
For what?

Atheists arguing 'if...': They don't believe your god exists, so there would have to be a conditional applied to the statement, unless you want to try and provide convincing evidence before carrying on with the discussion.

"As described": This is one of the problems that non-christians have. Christians claim they only have one god, but there are a multitude of concepts and descriptions. A common one is that the christian god is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and omnibenevolent. That's the 'as described' I meant in the comment above. The next problem is that these omnis are mutually exclusive, but let's leave that aside for now.

"he should act...": So, going with the 'omnibenevolent' bit, your god should be showing that love to each and every individual. To me, 'loving' would imply not wanting that person to be hurt or suffer. So, an all-loving, all-powerful deity should be able to arrange matters such that no-one suffers. One common argument against this is that we need suffering - but if your god is all-powerful, surely he could arrange it so that we learn what we need without that suffering. Another argument is that we have free will and your god won't (not can't, won't) break that - but heaven is often described as a place where we are all happy and do not suffer (etc), so either your god will break our free will in heaven, or he chooses not to arrange things here in a similar way to heaven (leaving free will intact).

Is that clearer?

ht
...then you will understand the truth - that there is no signature
Quote
Like
Share