Losing my mind....

aldiesel42
rookie

March 18th, 2011, 12:42 pm #1

Hey everyone! So I've been driving myself nuts over the last week with this stupid lump in my lip. It showed up randomly 6 days ago. Its on the left side of my lower lip. Its a little different from what Ive been reading. It has no discoloration and you cant tell its there unless I stick my bottom lip out and curl it over (see attached). It feels just like a little hard ball inside my lip. I used to dip tobacco off an on for about 4 years (I quit almost 4 months ago). Now of course you guys can guess what the first thing I thought of. I guess I'm a pretty big hypochondriac so Ive been worrying myself sick over this.  Although everything Ive read leads me to believe it is a mucocele im still worried. I have bitten my lip before and been hit in the mouth so i know ive had them before but this one is bigger than before. So from last Friday night into Saturday i developed this lump. I did not bite my lip, or get hit in the mouth so this is why Im nervous. Although sometimes i sleep on my stomach with my hand under my face. Does anyone think that if i fell asleep with my lip resting on my hand that the constant pressure could cause a mucocele? Im going to the dentist tomorrow morning to have him check it out but Ive been worrying myself sick for the last week...

Click here to view the attachment

erinaltie
rookie

May 15th, 2011, 9:56 pm #2

the same thing is happening to me right now but its on the right side. I also sleep with my hand under my face. its feels like a little ball inside and its really puffy. do you know what it is yet?

future
rookie
future
rookie

August 1st, 2012, 4:29 pm #3

Did you ever find out what this was my partner currently has what looks like the exact same thing and we are both V worried!! - PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP  - many thanks

wthezoneman
rookie

August 8th, 2012, 4:29 am #4

You should find a board certified oral surgeon or ENT and get a diagnosis. Regular doctors don't really understand these things. If you decide to get it surgically removed, I'd recommend finding the most competent surgeon available, preferably someone with plastic surgery training and someone who does these surgeries a lot. Really talk to the surgeon about exactly what the situation is and if you don't trust him, don't get surgery. However, the thing might go away on it's own. In my experience with mucocele, regular doctors don't really know much about them. Good luck.

future
rookie
future
rookie

August 8th, 2012, 10:09 am #5

Fab thanks for the response - he went to an oral surgeon last week and they believe it is a blocked salivary gland - have to go back at the end of the month is still there...will keep you posted - thanks for your advice

wthezoneman
rookie

August 8th, 2012, 10:37 pm #6

In the meantime, he can gargle warm saltwater several times a day. It's probably not very deeply embedded, if there was no physical trauma that caused it. Weird. My lump was caused by biting my mouth several times after getting dental work done. I bit pretty deeply into the tissue. Damn these buggers suck. He could try some liquid vitamin b complex too. Some of the research I've done say mucocele can hit when the immune system is a bit ran down. Just a thought. Either way, no harm done.

bigjohnny
regular

September 26th, 2012, 4:28 am #7

sure looks like a big mucocele