Stories Never End

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

April 13th, 2018, 2:36 pm #1

(OOC: Trina and I couldn't resist kicking up some old stories, but with all the visitors that come by we wanted to leave it open for any LiS member who wants to stretch out the legs of an old character. If you're so inclined, find your way to Santos and jump on in.)

Santos Clinic

The moment Michael heard Glory would be landing in Santos, he thought of one woman. He wasn't sure what to make of the thought. A happy memory? A sad reminder? All he knew was that it filled his brainspace and he couldn't shake it even if he wanted to. Mike had closed a few chapters of his life in the past year, and while closure was not always in tow with positive feelings, it did make him sound of mind. Questions could nag away, keeping him awake at night, wasting his energy. Santos provided the opportunity to answer a few questions or at least give him something to connect to. He had nothing of her.

Mike was subtle with his queries around town. How long have you lived here? Were you a round during the war? Ever heard of a clinic that operated back then? He was eventually directed to what still looked like a church on the outside but had been converted to a space that provided a more practical healing then any lord did. A Church. Why am I not surprised? Of course a girl with that kind of heart made her trade in a church. It was fitting.

Becker couldn't say what he intended to accomplish here. There was an lack of planning as well as a lack of expectations. He just wanted to see it. Maybe needed to see it. A part of her past was almost a part of her and that was a very appealing concept, one strong enough to make him enter what he assumed would be a room of strangers with no explanation.

Trina
Sarge
Sarge

April 13th, 2018, 2:45 pm #2

The clinic was actually quiet today. Not like it had been during the war, but it left a lot of time for wondering. Trina sat at the small desk in her office, which doubled as her room now. Her mind wondered a lot of things lately. More often than not, she wondered where Glory had gone to ground. No one seemed to have heard from any of her crew. And with no word from Mike, she'd been forced to accept that her decision to leave had likely upset him enough that he'd simply moved on with his life.

Sighing heavily, she gathered her hair and put it up slowly. Her eyes looked towards the window. I wish you had at least responded to the letter.

Her hands dropped to her stomach. It wouldn't be long now she knew, but she also feared facing it alone.

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

April 13th, 2018, 3:13 pm #3

Becker pushed on the front door and looked the empty room before him. He briefly considered the idea that the place had been abandoned, but it was in far too good condition to be out of use. And it was still a clinic. He could only guess at how much it had changed since the war, but he quietly suggested and the accepted the idea that this was how she left it.

This was her. One of the most defining moments of her life. This was as much her as Glory was him. And while it was here, he'd take it. It was nice to spend a prolonged period of time thinking about her. In a positive manner. All he could think about was how much good she must have done here. Lives saved, kindness paid. It was his favourite image of her.

He really liked this room. It reminded him of her. Times he had spent on the stretcher, and times she had spent on it. Not the happiest of memories but they were their memories, the moments that had made them grow closer. The moments that made them realise how much they cared for each other and show it. Mike shook his head and sighed as he tinkered with random items around the room. A glum smile held on his face as he let memories wash over him. He could get lost in it. He could be there.

He could also knock over a tray of medical implements as he attempted to fiddle with one. Metal crashed all across the floor and made him wince as he tried to make a catch before admitting defeat.

"Go se."

Trina
Sarge
Sarge

April 13th, 2018, 5:33 pm #4

A sudden, loud clattering of metal made Trina start, the memories of the recent past vanishing like a fog, and reminded her she was technically still on duty. Standing up slowly, she moved to the door, pausing just before the frame to adjust her medical coat. It really was a pointless attempt. The swell of her stomach had reached beyond the coats ability to cover it nearly a month ago.

Finally, she stepped out of her office and put on a pleasant smile. "Hello, how can I help y..." Her words died in her throat as she recognized Mike and a chill corkscrewed down her spine.

Trina knew she had to be dreaming. He couldn't really be here. He wouldn't. Unless... The healthy flush that had been on her cheeks paled a little and she retreated half a step. The smile on her lips faltered, transforming into a meek and silent plea of both forgiveness and sorrow.

All the times of wondering and now he stood inside her clinic. The one place she knew to retreat to in the hope that she could avoid injury or death for more than just herself. As quiet as things were here now, she'd done well in that regard. It wasn't just her safety that kept her from trying to reach him. He was too important to her to risk being used as bait in a trap.

Standing there completely mute, the realization came that she had no idea what to say. More than anything, she wanted to cross to him, to touch him and make absolutely certain she wasn't dreaming, yet again. She desperately wanted to believe that he was really and truly in front of her. It was not knowing where his heart stood on everything kept her rooted.

It took a huge amount of willpower to finally clear her throat. "I... I wasn't expecting you..." It was clearly an unnecessary statement, but it was all her voice would muster.

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

April 14th, 2018, 2:39 am #5

Michael knelt down to pick up the objects and spoke over her as she began. "I'm really sorry, I don't know wh..." Then realisation sunk into his eyes as well as he looked over. His throat clenched, trapping his air and voice within. It didn't even know what to feel in this moment, so he just stared blankly waiting for his brain to reset.

He reached out to indicate her. He couldn't complete the thoughts in his head verbally. "I didn't-" think you would be here. "You weren't-" supposed to be here. "This-" can't be real. He cleared his throat.

Mike bowed his head and began rubbing his eyes vigorously with his thumb and finger. He was clearing his head to make sure he hadn't truly lost. A deep breath later he looked back up and she was still there.

"So I'm not imagining this. You're really here." Mike had a notoriously bad memory, but Trina looked just how he remembered her. Beautiful and radiating her good spirit. A large part of him wanted to run over and hold her, take a long overdue taste of her lips. But with how things ended, it was safe to assume that wasn't the relationship they had anymore.

"I don't know what I'm doing here." He looked around the room, not feeling like he knew much of anything right now. He couldn't pinpoint the mix of emotions within him.

"And I thought you'd be harder to find for someone who ran away..."

Trina
Sarge
Sarge

April 14th, 2018, 2:59 am #6

Becker wrote:"I don't know what I'm doing here. And I thought you'd be harder to find for someone who ran away..."
Trina swallowed hard before it finally registered that he hadn't known she would be here. Her brow furrowed. If he hadn't known she'd be here, then that meant... "Ai Yah Tien Ah... you never found the letter?" The chill that had gone down her spine now settled directly in the pit of her stomach. If the letter hadn't been found by him, he wouldn't have had a clue as to why she'd left and no way to know where to find her.

His not knowing why she'd left would, sooner rather than later, become clear. Somehow, she was more terrified of his reaction now than she could ever recall being afraid in her life before. Not even being shot scared her as much as she feared his reaction to discovering just how far along she was. With his child.

The shuddering breath that shook her body was made audible as a choked sob. Putting one hand up, she covered her mouth and tried to calm herself by breathing through her nose. Even so, the edges of her vision began to go blurry at the onset of tears.

"I'm sorry," she whispered from behind her hand. "I'm so sorry, Mike. I would have sent you a wave... but I heard the crew was wanted... I didn't... I didn't want to be a liability..."

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

April 14th, 2018, 6:00 am #7

This was a feeling he could comprehend. The hairs on the back of neck stood on his back as a wave of new understanding washed over him. This changed everything. All the feelings he had felt were based on the wrong story. All the thoughts that had swept through his head were redundant. The narrative his life had rolled on with since Trina left had been a falsehood.

"There was a letter?" Mike found himself moving across the room quickly. He couldn't assume what this meant, but he had formed a fantasy idea of what the letter said. There was unshakable hope in his core.

"Don't." He commanded as he reached her. It pained him to see her sad, especially when it was on his account. "I can see how it was... hard. I... I don't know everything, but I.. ."

He reached out for he hand and held it, another command to stop any tears. He had to question if he was still welcome to touch her.

"Gorram Trin, I've pictured seeing you so many times. None of those thoughts had you crying."

"Its all okay, just talk to me." He wanted it to be okay. Hoped.

Trina
Sarge
Sarge

April 14th, 2018, 6:23 am #8

He still hadn't seen, hadn't noticed, but his entire demeanor seemed to have shifted to one she remembered fondly on late nights. The caring, kind soul who'd found his way into her heart in ways she hadn't imagined possible.

In a single blink, Mike was in front of her and had her hand in his. The fit of her hand in his was enough to cause her to close her eyes sending a tear rolling down one cheek. Her fingers curled tightly around his, to keep his hand from releasing hers.

Trina inhaled deeply through her nose, the hand over her mouth dropping away. Without opening her eyes, she drew his hand closer. There was a brief pause and her trembling intensified. Finally, she put his hand on her stomach. Her small hand laid atop his and beneath that, she felt the baby move, as if it knew.

"I knew you'd want us out of danger..." Trina finally opened her tear filled, pale blue eyes and looked up into Mike's face. Silently, she begged for him to understand, not only what she was telling him, but her reasons.

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

April 14th, 2018, 7:57 am #9

The narrative turned again. In a very unexpected direction.

Just when he was starting to grasp an understanding of matters, he was left stunned again by what Trina wanted to show him. He looked down at her bump, a point of interest that had managed to escape his attention until now. It was, once again, too much information to process.

He didn't want to let go, but he had to sit down. Mike took a few steps to the side and slumped onto a shelf that was just low enough for him and sturdy enough to take his weight. The energy had drained from his body.

"Are you sure you haven't just been comfort eating." A small idea of escape was appealing. "I'd still like you." He wasn't planning on running though, couldn't see himself running. Still, he wasn't sure what happened next.

"I don't..." He didn't know where to start. "We have a lot to talk about." He was still holding her hand. He didn't want to let her go. "I just maybe need a minute or... twenty."

Trina
Sarge
Sarge

April 14th, 2018, 12:00 pm #10

"I'm so sorry, Mike..."

As he all but fell against the nearest shelf, Trina instinctively reached out to catch him. A ridiculous notion given she'd never be able to catch him, but now she stood facing him, both hands on his chest. If nothing else, she could try to steady him.

Oh this is not how I wanted this to go...

Somewhere in the back of her mind, the responsible doctor in her kicked into gear. "Can you make it into the office? There's a chair in there you can sit on." It would give him something sturdy to rest on, but it would also give them some privacy. Given how much they had to talk about, they needed the privacy more now at the moment.

Without even realizing it, she gently began to try to get him upright. Her mind swam with the million possible questions he could ask. Trina only hoped she could manage to get out answers. He deserved that. And so much more than I've given you.