One Foot Over the Line

MacTrom
Sarge
Sarge

May 5th, 2018, 11:42 pm #1

Ronan Cammeron, his hand barely touching the butt of his FN5-7, still in its holster, crouched alongside the ramshackle hut where his suspect was last known to reside. He scowled at the mud clustering around the heal of his fancy cowboy boots and tapped his jacket breast pocket, holding the warrant.

It could'a been easier, he thought to himself. Only if I had caught up to him at the bar 'stead of havin' to traipse out here in the dead of night.

The window at his shoulder had the blinds drawn, so he couldn't catch a glimpse inside, but he was fairly sure the fugitive was home. He had staked out the bar but the man was a no show. However, the rusted out truck sat in the driveway, and on feeling the hood, Ronan could tell it had been driven recently. Might be he had gone to a different bar tonight, or maybe done some other errand in town. In either case... time to get it done.

He moved quietly to the door; the darkness of the night would help to cover his arrival, and would continue for another three hours. Best time of night to catch someone asleep.

His hand gently tested the knob: locked. Then a sound from inside made him hesitate. He drew, and stepped back to kick the door.

But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow. Things should start to get interestin' right about now

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

May 6th, 2018, 7:09 am #2

The first thing Ronan was met with was a whine that turned into a hiss followed by a wail.

The cat then rushed away from a collection of scattered boxes in the hallway.

To his right, there was a doorway that led to a living space. Ahead, a doorway to the kitchen. On the left, stairs that led up.

There were some scuffles ahead from where the cat had ran, while a faint glowing light emanated from the living space.

MacTrom
Sarge
Sarge

May 6th, 2018, 3:29 pm #3

Ronan stepped through the doorway, gun now gripped in both hands and held out in front of him. He steadied himself against the front wall while quickly scanning the stairs leading up and listening for any footsteps. Then he turned to glance into the living area, a quick peek and back, then when he determined the room empty, stepped into the room and did a more thorough search. Gun swiveling to cover all the corners, he stepped gingerly around the furniture, his night vision trying to make out all the dark shapes.

But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow. Things should start to get interestin' right about now

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

May 6th, 2018, 3:59 pm #4

The light was coming from a humming cortex screen on the wall that displayedsome late night shows. It was muted. Different colours danced across the room as the scenes changed.

The edges of several beer cans reflected from a table in the front room. Most scrunched up or on there side. A few unopened. One in upright and in progress.

Dull colours failed to truly illuminate the room, but while scanning the edges of furniture, Ronan noticed the frame of a window slowly swinging open just in time to catch a pair of legs tumbling over the windowsill to the outside.

MacTrom
Sarge
Sarge

May 6th, 2018, 11:24 pm #5

Ta ma de Ronan spun on his heal, ducked back out the door and out the front. Three huge strides to the end of the porch, and he was half airborne and half falling behind the figure making a run for the truck. As his feet landed, he was almost arms length from the man, and reaching out to try to grab...

"Jesse Gorne! Halt! I got a warrant here says you need to stop and talk!"

Didn't expect the fugitive to do anything else, but it might give him a moment to react and that might be just enough.

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

May 7th, 2018, 4:16 am #6

The man staggered towards the truck frantically.

"Kiss my pi gu!"

He didn't go for the door, but for the truckbed, leaping into it head first. He balanced by his gut on the side then, as Roman closed in, dropped back to the floor with a 2 by 4 in his hands.

He swung wildly and carelessly.

MacTrom
Sarge
Sarge

May 7th, 2018, 7:08 pm #7

Monte easily dodged the swing, waiting until the 2x4 had just passed his head before stepping inside the man's reach, and bringing his pistol up along side his head with a resounding thud.

"Now, you didn't have to do that, sir. We could have spoken with a little less ... hostility?"

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

May 8th, 2018, 2:18 pm #8

The man dropped into a heap on the floor, blood trickling from his temple.

Under close scrutiny this was indeed Jesse Gorne, the man Ronan was looking for.

"Why can't you just leave me be?" The man snarled as he sulked on the ground. The stench of alcohol from him was strong.

The dark street became more illuminated as headlights beamed from a mule coming down the street.

MacTrom
Sarge
Sarge

May 8th, 2018, 4:17 pm #9

"Just doing my job."

Ronan pulled cuffs with his left hand and snapped them on Jesse's wrists. He pulled the man up into a squatting position before the headlights caught the two of them in their beam. He let his right hand lower so the gun wasn't pointing at anything in particular, knowing that his fast draw would defend him if things turned sour.

Becker
First Mate
First Mate
Becker
First Mate
First Mate

May 9th, 2018, 6:24 am #10

The lights from the mule brightened up the area, then blinded Ronan if he was to look directly at them.

But they subsided and the vehicle passed. No one could be made out and they didn't seem to have any interest in the bounty hunter and his prey.

Jesse's eyes followed the mule with hope that faded the further away it got.

"What happens now?"