What's Up With Weather Predicting?

Kibitzing, rabble rousing, all-round generic conversation. Any and everything. You get it.

What's Up With Weather Predicting?

mid life crises
Advanced Member
mid life crises
Advanced Member
Joined: Jan 4 2007, 09:57 PM

Feb 2 2007, 05:47 PM #1

Has anyone else consciously noted over the past at least three years that local tv cannot predict the weather correctly?
When I was little, (I'm 43), I remember counting down the days til the next snowstorm and a possible day off from school.
Now, they can't even tell you what it is doing AT THE MOMENT. With all their doppler radar and 3D equipment, seems they can't give a "Nowcast" let alone a "forecast". I've been outside in the rain recently and heard on "news" that there is not a cloud in the area....I live in SE PA. I truly believe the weather is being manipulated, I've read about HAARP, and now I think the media is in on confusing us and secretly manipulating us. We were supposed to get snow again this morning - dud. Nada. Maybe the local weather guy is as confused as we are? It is becoming a joke. And of course, not many people seem too concerned about it....other than the kids not getting a day off from school...
Anyone else have thoughts?
Why?? Why?? Why!!!! Nancy Kerrigan

"I take pride in my home, I take pride in my kids, I take pride in being Mrs. Jack Butler. It means something to raise decent human beings!" from Mr. Mom

"Be careful out there amongst those Englischer." from Witness

"Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." from The Princess Bride

"Kettle's boiling!" from The Turning Point

"Fool me once, shame on- shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again." from someone smokin crack
Quote
Like
Share

whatup
Advanced Member
whatup
Advanced Member
Joined: Nov 15 2006, 06:06 PM

Feb 2 2007, 06:08 PM #2

Why would HAARP and the local media be in cahoots together? Just to piss you off?

I believe that the weather patterns are changing though, because of global warming. That makes the weather a little harder to predict. Looks like the winter will be one of the warmest ones on record where I live. And 6 out of the ten hottest winters ever have all been within the past ten years. <_<
Quote
Like
Share

Jarroyo
Advanced Member
Jarroyo
Advanced Member
Joined: Oct 18 2006, 08:16 PM

Feb 2 2007, 07:14 PM #3

I can't talk for the US, but I can say about where I live, Puerto Rico (Caribbean).

Actually, over here, the weather prediction is almost always wrong. Either they say something that's wrong, or they say: "There will be 50% chance or rain, 50% of no-rain."

The problem is that weather, especially here in the Caribbean, is very unstable; due to currents coming from Africa.

But another problem, and maybe this one can fit in your country, is that news outlets are cheapstakes. And instead of putting a qualified meteorologist to talk about the weather, they pay a simple reporter to announce the weather. Mainly, because it is less expensive to pay a reporter than a meteorologist.

J
Quote
Like
Share

mid life crises
Advanced Member
mid life crises
Advanced Member
Joined: Jan 4 2007, 09:57 PM

Feb 2 2007, 07:47 PM #4

See, my overactive mind has this scenario:
One day soon they are gonna say this monumental storm is coimng and we need to go into hiding at "the shetlter". Then when the big storm never comes we are kind of numbed to the fact that they can't predict the weather. ...but we are captive.
Punxatawney Phil - now there's a guy who can predict the weather!
Why?? Why?? Why!!!! Nancy Kerrigan

"I take pride in my home, I take pride in my kids, I take pride in being Mrs. Jack Butler. It means something to raise decent human beings!" from Mr. Mom

"Be careful out there amongst those Englischer." from Witness

"Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." from The Princess Bride

"Kettle's boiling!" from The Turning Point

"Fool me once, shame on- shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again." from someone smokin crack
Quote
Like
Share

TrueSoundHound
Advanced Member
TrueSoundHound
Advanced Member
Joined: Dec 15 2006, 05:40 AM

Feb 3 2007, 08:12 AM #5

mid life crises @ Feb 2 2007, 05:47 PM wrote:I think the media is in on confusing us and secretly manipulating us.
my observation of this is true.

Weather is one of those simple topics many of us thinks about consciously and unconsciously.

The manipulation stategy is to get in on the collective psychic space - where our thoughts play before they become solid.

Having said that, I think the idea is not to focus on it, ie if you spend the energy conspiraring "who lied to me how and when" then your state of mind starts a downward spiral that is the opposite direction of Freedom -- and you begin to manefest the bad news that you are reading.
Quote
Like
Share

IVXX
Advanced Member
IVXX
Advanced Member
Joined: Oct 20 2006, 06:40 PM

Feb 3 2007, 08:26 AM #6

I wish they'd manipulate the weather by me and warm it up. We got wind chills approaching -20!!! OH is AZ going to be so nice at the end of the month.
"He told me there was new intel on Iran.
He just didn't tell me what it was."
~ George W. Bush
Quote
Like
Share

Hazel
Advanced Member
Hazel
Advanced Member
Joined: Nov 12 2006, 12:44 PM

Feb 3 2007, 08:49 AM #7

IVXX @ Feb 3 2007, 08:26 AM wrote: I wish they'd manipulate the weather by me and warm it up. We got wind chills approaching -20!!! OH is AZ going to be so nice at the end of the month.
I know!! I am so cold here. It's ridiculous. I don't remember it being this cold last Winter. Or maybe I just block it out of my memory. The funny thing is that it gets so hot during the day you don't need your jacket but at night you can't have enough layers on.
All matter is mere energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing it self subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves!
Quote
Like
Share

IVXX
Advanced Member
IVXX
Advanced Member
Joined: Oct 20 2006, 06:40 PM

Feb 4 2007, 01:39 AM #8

How about -2 with a wind chill of -25?? :blink:
"He told me there was new intel on Iran.
He just didn't tell me what it was."
~ George W. Bush
Quote
Like
Share

lunk
Newbie
lunk
Newbie
Joined: Dec 4 2006, 08:32 PM

Feb 4 2007, 03:07 AM #9

Weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether the weather is weather or not.


"The influence of cosmic rays on low-altitude clouds


In 1996 we reported at a space science meeting in Birmingham, England, that the Earth's cloudiness, observed by satellites, is strongly correlated with the galactic cosmic-ray flux.
Further investigation confirmed that the clouds are clearly linked with cosmic rays rather than with other solar phenomena such as sunspots or the emission of visible light, ultraviolet and X-rays. On closer examination of the satellite data it turned out that clouds at high and middle altitudes are unaffected by variations in the cosmic rays, but low level clouds are influenced. A simple interpretation is that there are always plenty of cosmic rays high in the air, whatever the Sun does, but they are in short supply at low altitudes, so that increases or decreases due to solar magnetism have important consequences."

They don't seem to mention this when talking about local weather or global warming.
Quote
Like
Share

igor
Advanced Member
igor
Advanced Member
Joined: Oct 19 2006, 02:45 AM

Feb 4 2007, 03:12 AM #10

mid life crises @ Feb 2 2007, 05:47 PM wrote: Has anyone else consciously noted over the past at least three years that local tv cannot predict the weather correctly?
When I was little, (I'm 43), I remember counting down the days til the next snowstorm and a possible day off from school.
Now, they can't even tell you what it is doing AT THE MOMENT. With all their doppler radar and 3D equipment, seems they can't give a "Nowcast" let alone a "forecast". I've been outside in the rain recently and heard on "news" that there is not a cloud in the area....I live in SE PA. I truly believe the weather is being manipulated, I've read about HAARP, and now I think the media is in on confusing us and secretly manipulating us. We were supposed to get snow again this morning - dud. Nada. Maybe the local weather guy is as confused as we are? It is becoming a joke. And of course, not many people seem too concerned about it....other than the kids not getting a day off from school...
Anyone else have thoughts?
Totally agree. Our local tv station said we were going to have a huge blizzard last friday and schools need to be prepared to let kids go the next mourning.

Come Friday mourning; nothing happened but little showers of rain.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH




Too bad ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation. Henry Kissinger
Quote
Like
Share

Jarroyo
Advanced Member
Jarroyo
Advanced Member
Joined: Oct 18 2006, 08:16 PM

Feb 4 2007, 04:36 AM #11

Hazel @ Feb 3 2007, 04:49 AM wrote:
IVXX @ Feb 3 2007, 08:26 AM wrote: I wish they'd manipulate the weather by me and warm it up. We got wind chills approaching -20!!! OH is AZ going to be so nice at the end of the month.
I know!! I am so cold here. It's ridiculous. I don't remember it being this cold last Winter. Or maybe I just block it out of my memory. The funny thing is that it gets so hot during the day you don't need your jacket but at night you can't have enough layers on.
WHAT! I wish I was living in a weather like that! Are you aware how hot it is in here. 90, almost 100. When I go outside, I feel like my flesh is being eaten.

You guys are awfully lucky. I have to sleep with no clothes, I have to bathe like more than 2 times a day. I'm so darked skin I think my race changed to African. It's an unbearable living situation. And it's not still summer.... :( oh... the summers... :( It's so hot...

It's hard living in the Caribbean.

J
Quote
Like
Share


Confirmation of reply: