Building Pancake-collapses In India

Kibitzing, rabble rousing, all-round generic conversation. Any and everything. You get it.

Building Pancake-collapses In India

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 01:53 PM #1

=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member
=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 02:47 PM #2

what??? no pulverized concrete? no ejection of steel beams?
"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror." --George W. Bush, interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

"I can look you in the eye and tell you I feel I've tried to solve the problem diplomatically to the max, and would have committed troops both in Afghanistan and Iraq knowing what I know today." --George W. Bush, Irvine, Calif., April 24, 2006

Rei Murasame
Advanced Member
Rei Murasame
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:01 PM #3

The two buildings in question are not even remotely similar, so why should they be expected to behave the same way?

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:02 PM #4

Nothing "pulverized." Plenty of busted concrete though. I don't think the building was steel-framed. I've concluded this from looking at some photos on the AP wire. There was rebar running through it. It sure did end up in a pile. I'm looking for before-after shots.

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:05 PM #5

Rei Murasame @ Jul 19 2007, 03:01 PM wrote: The two buildings in question are not even remotely similar, so why should they be expected to behave the same way?
You're right. Nonetheless they will be compared elsewhere so we might as well discuss it here.

look-up
Advanced Member
look-up
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:06 PM #6

Rei Murasame @ Jul 19 2007, 03:01 PM wrote: The two buildings in question are not even remotely similar, so why should they be expected to behave the same way?
and JREFers say we're not objective... :rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------
Come pull the sheet over my eyes
so I can sleep tonight
despite what I have seen today
I've found you guilty of a crime
of sleeping at a time
when you should have been wide awake

WIDE AWAKE!!!!!!!
by Audioslave

=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member
=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:12 PM #7

though the structure may be constructed different, you are willing to say that building materials of this seven story building are superior to those in the WTC 7.

the building did not pancake as originally reported, sections collapsed whild others remain standing.
"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror." --George W. Bush, interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

"I can look you in the eye and tell you I feel I've tried to solve the problem diplomatically to the max, and would have committed troops both in Afghanistan and Iraq knowing what I know today." --George W. Bush, Irvine, Calif., April 24, 2006

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:19 PM #8

Wonder how fast it came down.

=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member
=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:27 PM #9

only seven stories. I picture a section by section collapse.

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 03:48 PM #10

From the AP:
By Thursday morning, cranes were brought in to lift large slabs of concrete and workers began removing bodies from the rubble. However, rescue efforts were hampered by sporadic monsoon showers.

"There was a huge sound and a crash," said Meghna Parekh, who lives nearby. "We rushed out and all we saw was this huge mountain of mud and no building."

Looks like a mud slide knocked it over.

=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member
=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 04:04 PM #11

these buildings a typical targets during the rainy season.

i just hope they get all those trapped people out of there

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 04:07 PM #12

Well dig this, if it was a mud slide that knocked it over, it's an instance of something damaging the base or foundation of the bldg bringing it down from there. It is yet again another instance of how, if you want to bring a multi-storied bldg down you have to, as Rather said, "get at the under infrastructure" of it.

Contrast this exemplification of reality with what happened on 911 where a collapse was initiated 100 stories in the air.

=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member
=US=IllegallyBlind
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 04:36 PM #13

it like the game Jenga, if you pull a top corner or side piece out of the tower it topples over. if you grab it from the bottom is falls straight down

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 04:42 PM #14

Right. Exactly. We just need to now confirm that something struck and damaged the base or foundation of the building causing it to collapse on itself from there.

George Hayduke
Advanced Member
George Hayduke
Advanced Member

Jul 19 2007, 05:09 PM #15

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id ... g_collapse
The building -- which had some shops on the ground floor -- was nearly 20 years old and may have crumbled due to shoddy construction work to expand the shops, officials said.

Residents had recently complained to the management body about major structural renovation work being carried out by a jeweller, the Press Trust of India reported.

"We believe structural changes (at the ground level) to the building could have caused this,"
Pathak said. (Parenthetic insertion in original article)
So here it is: Confirmation that that the collapse likely started from the base or the foundation of the building.

Confirmation of reply: