Yearly gift idea for surro

Yearly gift idea for surro

February 28th, 2012, 4:34 am #1

I'm in a dilemma. I have a nice relationship with my surro and I've decided I would like to remember her birthday each year indefinitely. Last year was the birthday after she had given birth and I sent her a large bouquet of flowers that cost about $100. I cannot keep that up every year and especially not this year, when we are tight financially. I was thinking of something under $50. She likes doing crafty type stuff but is not a big reader, so I'm not sure about getting a craft book or even a magazine subscription. She loves her kids and is a young spirit, likes to have fun. Right now she is doing another surro pregnancy and is in late second trimester. I don't want to have to tear my hair out every year trying to figure something out! Any ideas? I'm really terrible with gifts. I wanted to make her something since I'm a crafty person too, but time got away with me and I have less than a week to get something on its way.

February 28th, 2012, 8:46 pm #2

Manicure gift certificates, massage gift certificates, and gift certificates for a store near her.

February 28th, 2012, 10:21 pm #3

Is that gift certs are like cash in that she will know how much I spent and I don't want to look cheap since I can't afford to give more than $50. But maybe i shouldn't get so worked up over that piece, and maybe $50 is an acceptable amount. I also thought about getting her a magazine subscription to a crafters mag since she is trying to start a home business with crafting.

Thanks for responding. Do you give a gift every year to your surro?

February 28th, 2012, 11:55 pm #4

We send our surro a gift every year. Although I don't remember every one, two stick out in my mind. One was a US Savings Bond for her son (the value doubles so even a $25 investment looks like $50), and the other was a gift certif to her favorite chain restaurant, which we bough locally. I think that any amount that you spend will be appreciated; it's really the thought that counts.

February 29th, 2012, 12:21 am #5

I will have to do some more sleuthing on her FB page to confirm some of her favorite places to shop and eat and go from there.

February 29th, 2012, 6:03 pm #6

Is that gift certs are like cash in that she will know how much I spent and I don't want to look cheap since I can't afford to give more than $50. But maybe i shouldn't get so worked up over that piece, and maybe $50 is an acceptable amount. I also thought about getting her a magazine subscription to a crafters mag since she is trying to start a home business with crafting.

Thanks for responding. Do you give a gift every year to your surro?
BBG, you are too hard on yourself! It really is the thought that counts. It's a kindness to remember her and send her something.

I have given my surro a present on my dd's birthday and for Christmas. I plan to give her a gift each year on my dd's birthday.

February 29th, 2012, 7:24 pm #7

I am snowed in today so it's not like I can go shopping. Will just look online for something. She's not even home this week so I couldn't have sent her flowers anyway. She will get a belated card/gift.

February 29th, 2012, 11:22 pm #8

Thing is to focus on the fact that you are using the day for honoring her contribution and acknowledging the profound impact she has had on your life, even if it's in the smallest material way, it's the kindness and gratitude that counts.

Hope you find something you feel good about