x/p HUGH PRIVACY ISSUE FOLKS

x/p HUGH PRIVACY ISSUE FOLKS

January 16th, 2011, 1:25 am #1

A friend just posted this on FB.

There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age. Remove yourself by searching your name AND SEARCHING YOUR EMAIL, find the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button to remove yourself.

Please note that it only allows you to remove 2 listings per your confirmed email address and only 4 listings in a day from your IP address.

I did a search and removed my home info BUT THEN WAS HORRIFIED TO SEARCH BY MY GMAIL ACCOUNT I USE ONLY ON THIS BOARD AND HAVE MY PHOTO BUCKET PHOTOS COME UP SHOWING MY DS!!

So if I were you, I'd START by checking your board email address(es) and then do your real name etc. This is really scary and is truly making me rethink my social media participation among other things.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2011, 1:41 am #2

I can't believe this!!! I don't participate in ANY social media. NONE!! I have used photobucket for posting pictures here and when I searched the website you provided...THEY CAME UP!!!! One of the images is even of my b/w results!! And while the b/w results image doesn't show my name...the ID associated with it is UNIQUELY mine!!! So it might as well have me name, DOB and SS# on there for all to see.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keifel
keifel

January 16th, 2011, 1:42 am #3

There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age. Remove yourself by searching your name AND SEARCHING YOUR EMAIL, find the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button to remove yourself.

Please note that it only allows you to remove 2 listings per your confirmed email address and only 4 listings in a day from your IP address.

I did a search and removed my home info BUT THEN WAS HORRIFIED TO SEARCH BY MY GMAIL ACCOUNT I USE ONLY ON THIS BOARD AND HAVE MY PHOTO BUCKET PHOTOS COME UP SHOWING MY DS!!

So if I were you, I'd START by checking your board email address(es) and then do your real name etc. This is really scary and is truly making me rethink my social media participation among other things.
Did you have to pay the fee to see that info and remove it?

January 16th, 2011, 1:50 am #4

n/t.

Jamie B.
Jamie B.

January 16th, 2011, 1:59 am #5

Thanks for posting. This is scary.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2011, 2:06 am #6

how do you remove??

January 16th, 2011, 2:07 am #7

Thanks for the heads up!!! I got my e-mail address removed. That was the one that had the pics! Oy! I also come up by name but there isn't an e-mail address associated with that search. How can you get rid of the less detailed name listing? Although, heck, it has a picture of my house, so kinda detailed, just not tons of pics like the other one!

xoxo, Tracy

PS: I figured it out. It had 3 e-mail addresses for me. I just used one of the other 3 in association with the url that had my listing that came up with my name. So I removed the name listing, two personal e-mails and my work e-mail. Sure do appreciate you alerting us!
Last edited by kittygirltx on January 16th, 2011, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2011, 2:07 am #8

how do you remove??
Little tiny at the bottom of the page. Click on that and it will tell you what to do.

xoxo, Tracy

January 16th, 2011, 4:00 am #9

I can't believe this!!! I don't participate in ANY social media. NONE!! I have used photobucket for posting pictures here and when I searched the website you provided...THEY CAME UP!!!! One of the images is even of my b/w results!! And while the b/w results image doesn't show my name...the ID associated with it is UNIQUELY mine!!! So it might as well have me name, DOB and SS# on there for all to see.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've only used PB to post on the pink board & the 1 photo I had left on there came right up. I'm not on social media sites, either. Stupidly, perhaps, it didn't occur to me that PB would be public.

January 16th, 2011, 4:30 am #10

I had removed myself and my parents from this site last year BUT I only did a name search. DO A PHONE # SEARCH!!!! My fathers info was there but certain things were sort of blocked like they used his first initial and *** for the rest of the name.

You need to remove the info 2 times!!!! 1 with the name the other with phone #.