Wow, the Over 50 TTC Board is on fire (pg ment)

Wow, the Over 50 TTC Board is on fire (pg ment)

Anon
Anon

April 25th, 2011, 8:41 pm #1

The link is at the top here... It may encourage anyone who thinks they are too old, or panicky about going back for #2 too quickly after success, or may be helpful when trying to decide what to do with frozens for possible future cycles. There are a couple of 57 year olds cycling, it can be done! Lots of pregnancies, even twins for the mid-50 crowd.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 25th, 2011, 11:27 pm #2

Something that does really bother me is when you hear in the news that a woman has had a baby via IVF and is in her 50's or 60's. Just from personal experience of older parents, I don't think that age gap is fair on the child, especially if like me it is the only child in the family. I heard a really poignant quote a few years ago, and that is "you are never too old to be an orphan". I really believe that to be the case, but I'd rather be an orphan at 50 than at 20. I think that these older women who are having children at such a late maternal age are selfish. A child should not be born to be a carer, and that's what they are sure to become.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

April 26th, 2011, 12:02 am #3

but I am getting sick of the cowardly unsupportive anonymous posts lately. It's kind of ballsy to come to a support board and on the one hand expect our support but on the other, be so quick with the hateful or unkind words. I am wondering if we should request this board be for registered members only.

anon
anon

April 26th, 2011, 12:46 am #4

Something that does really bother me is when you hear in the news that a woman has had a baby via IVF and is in her 50's or 60's. Just from personal experience of older parents, I don't think that age gap is fair on the child, especially if like me it is the only child in the family. I heard a really poignant quote a few years ago, and that is "you are never too old to be an orphan". I really believe that to be the case, but I'd rather be an orphan at 50 than at 20. I think that these older women who are having children at such a late maternal age are selfish. A child should not be born to be a carer, and that's what they are sure to become.
one could be born to parents in their 20's that are neglectful and abusive and that child could then find themselves 'orphaned' more or less as well. it's equally no fun to be born to dsyfunctional parents, so who's to say what's right or wrong when it comes to raising children or even what is the best or worst age to do so. you say older parents sucked for you, well young parents sucked for me.

PAH
PAH

April 26th, 2011, 12:57 am #5

I find a tremendous amount of wisdom and good vibes on the over 50 board. Those women have been very kind to me when I have had a question or a concern. I am hoping you can find other venues to express opinions that are unsupportive to others who come her looking for support, information and an opportunity to share. Respectfully, PAH

April 26th, 2011, 1:43 am #6

As I approach my 41st birthday in a few months, I love to hear about success of people my age or older.

Also, in terms of age parental age (in response to anonymous), my brother-in-law is 53 and is a parent of a 6 y.o. girl and 2 y.o. boy (my sister is 39). I have an uncle who is the parent of 5 children, aged 25 to 15 and was 50 when his first was born. I've rarely heard of anyone jumping to conclusions that 50 year old first time fathers are selfish. It is shame when that label is applied, and especially if it is applied to mothers only and not fathers.

April 26th, 2011, 1:47 am #7

but I am getting sick of the cowardly unsupportive anonymous posts lately. It's kind of ballsy to come to a support board and on the one hand expect our support but on the other, be so quick with the hateful or unkind words. I am wondering if we should request this board be for registered members only.
BlessedThistle agree 100% n/t

Dee
Dee

April 26th, 2011, 2:00 am #8

As I approach my 41st birthday in a few months, I love to hear about success of people my age or older.

Also, in terms of age parental age (in response to anonymous), my brother-in-law is 53 and is a parent of a 6 y.o. girl and 2 y.o. boy (my sister is 39). I have an uncle who is the parent of 5 children, aged 25 to 15 and was 50 when his first was born. I've rarely heard of anyone jumping to conclusions that 50 year old first time fathers are selfish. It is shame when that label is applied, and especially if it is applied to mothers only and not fathers.
When Elton John recently became a first time father at age 63, I did not hear one peep out of anyone in the media regarding his age. I read all the news stories about it, and there was NO mention ANYWHERE of issues regarding his age & becoming a new dad.

Same thing when Paul McCartney became a dad again in his 60s. Not one word, not one peep, about his age. No one calling him selfish or questioning his right to become a father.

Only older women who have children are judged, not men. Why?

April 26th, 2011, 2:28 am #9

Seen this my whole life. Very sad.

Ann

April 26th, 2011, 2:42 am #10

It's pretty cowardly to remain anonymous with such non supportive comments on a support board. Perhaps logging in should be required for posting. There's enough negativity in the world, let's weed some of it out here.