Worst morning- (p/gment m/sment) -all ok - ultrasound horror story!

Worst morning- (p/gment m/sment) -all ok - ultrasound horror story!

movingforwardhappily!
movingforwardhappily!

November 10th, 2010, 1:50 pm #1

So I went to the hospital for my 7 week 2 day ultrasound today and all we could see was an empty sac with the remains of the embryo as the Dr said- no heartbeat. The ultrasound was done on the same machine as at 6 weeks when we clearly saw the heartbeat. The Dr said that was pretty much it and to think about d&c. Still to be 100% sure to get an ultrasound on a better machine but it was pretty clear in her mind that it was all over. We had to wait an hour and a half for the next ultrasound, me crying and DH trying to hold it together. Of course there was no where private to wait but in the cafe of the maternity ward. I thought it was all over and felt that was it.
We finally went for the 2nd ultrasound with two lovely female doctors my age and they didn't say anything but we could fee their growing excitement. They found the embryo and everything measures perfectly with a heart beat of 150 per minute. We were in shock. They said everything is perfect! After this experience I think I am not ready to move boards yet and hope I can hang out here a bit longer if that's ok!

So ladies, always get the 2nd ultrasound- they did say the first machine was fairly weak but it was weird that it had shown everything had shown ok at 6 weeks on same machine. Exhausting day but well all ends well.

November 10th, 2010, 2:10 pm #2

That is horrible. How awful for you. I am thrilled everything turned out well in the end.

November 10th, 2010, 2:27 pm #3

So I went to the hospital for my 7 week 2 day ultrasound today and all we could see was an empty sac with the remains of the embryo as the Dr said- no heartbeat. The ultrasound was done on the same machine as at 6 weeks when we clearly saw the heartbeat. The Dr said that was pretty much it and to think about d&c. Still to be 100% sure to get an ultrasound on a better machine but it was pretty clear in her mind that it was all over. We had to wait an hour and a half for the next ultrasound, me crying and DH trying to hold it together. Of course there was no where private to wait but in the cafe of the maternity ward. I thought it was all over and felt that was it.
We finally went for the 2nd ultrasound with two lovely female doctors my age and they didn't say anything but we could fee their growing excitement. They found the embryo and everything measures perfectly with a heart beat of 150 per minute. We were in shock. They said everything is perfect! After this experience I think I am not ready to move boards yet and hope I can hang out here a bit longer if that's ok!

So ladies, always get the 2nd ultrasound- they did say the first machine was fairly weak but it was weird that it had shown everything had shown ok at 6 weeks on same machine. Exhausting day but well all ends well.
to go thru...I'm so happy to hear all is well in the end! Try to enjoy every moment of your pregnancy; it goes by far too fast, and the constant worrying does not help...I'm 33 wks and don't remember much at all of this special time but the constant fear of something going wrong...
All the best!

zane

November 10th, 2010, 2:29 pm #4

What a morning! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Well if that doesn't feed our anxiety?!? I totally get not being ready to move to the pink board, I'm there with you. But h/b at 150 is great! So very glad that you got a 2nd u/s. I still can't believe what they put you through. I'm so sorry this should have been a very happy day.

Have a good afternoon, go out and celebrate because right now everything is good, no correction Great!!!

Thinking of you and wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!

ks

Kekona
Kekona

November 10th, 2010, 2:40 pm #5

Sounds a lot like my first mc, but with a happier ending. Went in with dh and machine was broken. Returned alone after Mother's Day weekend and showed no hb. Had to wait alone for 2 hours. Nurses coming and consoling me, although I didn't know. Dr. yelling at me b/c I asked her what was going on. I'm glad your story ended better.

anon
anon

November 10th, 2010, 2:46 pm #6

I really know how u must have felt..same thing happened to us and thank G-d all turned out ok..just to let you know what I did do..i actualy went to talk to the doctor who did our first u/s and told him that the proper way to tell a person about the possibility of a fetal demise is gently and if he really was not 100% sure, he should have said so and set up the next ultrasound immediately. We also called the hospital administration and requested that the next donation to the hospital should be a better and more accurate ultrasound machine.
Sorry if I sound so upset but those few hours of not knowing aged me just worrying.

movingforwardhappily!
movingforwardhappily!

November 10th, 2010, 4:04 pm #7

any day now and for the next two scans they will be done at the ultrasound centre. I have one again next week as I still feel a bit dizzy after todays.

November 10th, 2010, 4:11 pm #8

Thank God they did a second u/s. Can you imagine what would have happened otherwise? The more I know about medicine the more frightening it is. I'm so sorry you had to go through this, and SOOOOO relieved your babe is o.k

jittyuk
jittyuk

November 10th, 2010, 7:11 pm #9

glad all is well x

Catherine
Catherine

November 11th, 2010, 3:01 pm #10

I am so glad it was bad news in the end I hope you are feeling a bit calmer now!

Catherine