Wondering if this is a unique donor issue... m/c mentioned

Wondering if this is a unique donor issue... m/c mentioned

May 29th, 2012, 9:55 pm #1

I've seen lots of different donor issues here, but I'm curious if anybody has been in a position where there have been a lot of frozen embryos and things still didn't work out. I have proven (babies born) e/s donors. My donor produced lots of eggs and I ended up with over ten 5 or 6 day blasts. We've been through 2 FETs. One transfer didn't work and one transfer resulted in a 1st trimester m/c. So, my question is this: have any of you had a lot of blasts from one proven donor and still didn't end up with a baby? In other words, did you go through all of the embryos? I will likely do CGH testing on most of the remaining embryos, but I'm afraid that I'll pay all that money and they are going to tell me that all of them are compromised in some way. I guess I'm looking for some hope - that it's still possible that one of the embyros that are left will become a baby.

May 29th, 2012, 10:28 pm #2

that there is an issue with the embryos, especially for DE.

Sometimes, it is true, that luck is against you and the embryos are faulty BUT I personally would counsel that before going again, you and DH undergo some basic implantation failure/m/c testing so you can be sure that the cause of failure is not you or DH.

The testing would normally include,

DH karyotype and sperm testing (e.g. dna fragmentation etc)
DH and you infection tests e.g. ureaplasma, mycoplasma, chlamydia, Group B strep etc.
Thyroid and antithyroid antibody testing for you. What are you exact TSH numbers? TSH should be between 1 and 2 if poss.
Clotting issues - have you had testing for these?
Uterine? Hysteroscopy to check
Autoimmune issues, e.g. thyroid, RA, antinuclear antibodies? Any history of rhematoid arthritis, chrohn's etc?
Immune issues e.g. NK Cells, Tnfa, cytokines etc.

I would investigate these as well as checking that your clinic has top live birth rates for DE especially for FET?

Best,
Daisy
xx
Last edited by loochieuk on May 30th, 2012, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesameboat
thesameboat

May 30th, 2012, 4:52 am #3

I've seen lots of different donor issues here, but I'm curious if anybody has been in a position where there have been a lot of frozen embryos and things still didn't work out. I have proven (babies born) e/s donors. My donor produced lots of eggs and I ended up with over ten 5 or 6 day blasts. We've been through 2 FETs. One transfer didn't work and one transfer resulted in a 1st trimester m/c. So, my question is this: have any of you had a lot of blasts from one proven donor and still didn't end up with a baby? In other words, did you go through all of the embryos? I will likely do CGH testing on most of the remaining embryos, but I'm afraid that I'll pay all that money and they are going to tell me that all of them are compromised in some way. I guess I'm looking for some hope - that it's still possible that one of the embyros that are left will become a baby.
sperm issues, immune issues...

We went through 5 donors before we had a lasting pregnancy. Our total number of embryos was pretty high.

May 31st, 2012, 1:16 am #4

that there is an issue with the embryos, especially for DE.

Sometimes, it is true, that luck is against you and the embryos are faulty BUT I personally would counsel that before going again, you and DH undergo some basic implantation failure/m/c testing so you can be sure that the cause of failure is not you or DH.

The testing would normally include,

DH karyotype and sperm testing (e.g. dna fragmentation etc)
DH and you infection tests e.g. ureaplasma, mycoplasma, chlamydia, Group B strep etc.
Thyroid and antithyroid antibody testing for you. What are you exact TSH numbers? TSH should be between 1 and 2 if poss.
Clotting issues - have you had testing for these?
Uterine? Hysteroscopy to check
Autoimmune issues, e.g. thyroid, RA, antinuclear antibodies? Any history of rhematoid arthritis, chrohn's etc?
Immune issues e.g. NK Cells, Tnfa, cytokines etc.

I would investigate these as well as checking that your clinic has top live birth rates for DE especially for FET?

Best,
Daisy
xx
Daisy's list is pretty exhaustive but I had one additional test performed that just might have been the "fix" for me after lots of failures with proven donors.

You may want to consider an endometrial biopsy that is performed by Dr. Kilman at Yale medical school. Your RE's office can send the samples. There are two biopsies, one during a non-medicated cycle and one after you have added estrogen and progesteone just as though you were preparing for a transfer. In my case, the medicated one showed abnormal cells. The theory is that some women react to the added hormones in such a way that would impede an embryo from attaching. With that result my protocal was adjusted to be a lower and slower introduction of progesteone. And it worked - times two - both embryos took. After years of failure with "perfect" and genetically screened embryos I'm in shock.

PS I didn't do genetic testing this time because I couldn't afford the cost, which is why I transferred two and now I have twins on board. My preference would have been to transfer one normal blast. Oh well!

Good luck to you.