will you have an amnio?

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 28th, 2011, 10:42 pm #1

will you have an amnio?

minniet
minniet

April 28th, 2011, 11:15 pm #2

They do a 3 or 4 D special hour long ultrasound on you at a certain stage, take bw, and make a calculation. At that point, they either recommend or do not recommend an amnio.

I only know one person who has had an amnio in the last 5 years, because she was 40 when she got pregnant (naturally), and after the 3/4D thingy, they said she has a 1 in 40 change of downs. She did the amnio, everything was fine. She had a lovely little boy.

So, no, I figure if we ever are lucky enough to get to that stage, we will probably not have to do it. But heck, with my luck, you never know.

LizLA
LizLA

April 29th, 2011, 12:04 am #3

will you have an amnio?
It was lower than it should be for 23 years old and we did amnio which came out great.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

April 29th, 2011, 1:18 am #4

will you have an amnio?
The risk of a loss is too high.

April 29th, 2011, 3:18 am #5

will you have an amnio?
No, never did.

thesameboat
thesameboat

April 29th, 2011, 4:51 am #6

The risk of a loss is too high.
A risk of 0.7% sounds really low unless you ARE one of the 7 in 1000 women who lose their babies as a result of the test. Then the loss is 100%.

ks
ks

April 29th, 2011, 1:30 pm #7

will you have an amnio?
I was actually faced with this decision having 2 bad blood tests, they wanted to rule out other issues with an amnio. But we decided against it. We wouldn't terminate even if there was an issue so what was the point in worrying. Plus since I have continually fallen into the short end of the odds I wasn't willing to risk being the .7% or whatever it is...

ks

April 29th, 2011, 6:21 pm #8

will you have an amnio?
lying on the delivery table I wished we had; some idiot neonatal nurse decided that our sweet boy looked like he had features for downs right after he was born (we did c-section, he was badly breech and in the end had to be yanked out pretty violently; face all swollen and bruised etc...). Then she of course saw my age on the paper work and made a hasty decision to announce to us we'd better do karotyping right away due to my age being risk factor and all...(we are no tell for DE).
We didn't do amnio due to extremely good n/t scan, blood work, and no markers what so ever; I think the odds were like 1 in over 10 000 or something...
Of course he doesn't have downs or any other chromosomal problem either (we did karotyping just to prove our point to the hospital not to let any operating room nurses to make comments like that).
Our peri said even after this incident, that with the odds in our favor like that there is no need for amnio. There are always some signs for problems seen in fetuses, and he has never been wrong , and was 100 positive he wasn't wrong in our case either.
I wouldn't do amnio unless they saw problems in u/s or blood work etc.

zane
Last edited by sane10 on April 29th, 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 29th, 2011, 10:53 pm #9

zane did you use your age for NT and quad?

April 30th, 2011, 12:49 am #10

My ob and peri knew it was DE; no tell for everyone else.
Good luck,

zane