where to report agencies for negligence etc

where to report agencies for negligence etc

THK
THK

July 22nd, 2011, 5:35 am #1

Hi does anyone here know where in the U.S. you would report IVFDE agencies for various types of misconduct?
I know in Australia we have a Reproductive Technology Council and I've reported at least three agencies to them.
I know there are a few people here who want to do a bit of reporting. I thought someone here might know where to go in the U.S.
Is there a central medical board or something?
thanks, THK

July 22nd, 2011, 3:01 pm #2

Fertility treatment is largely unregulated in the U.S. As you know, there's a lot of good and bad about that. Since DE agencies aren't medical concerns, there probably aren't any kind of professional boards to report them to, and I doubt whether they have any kind of certifying organization. Lacking those, I think reporting to the state's attorney general office is probably your best bet. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

minniet
minniet

July 22nd, 2011, 3:20 pm #3

I know that there are folks who have had outright negligence and stolen funds here on this board, and in that case, I think I would report to the State Attorney and also SART?

For myself, it is more a matter of finding many agencies to act unprofessionally and unethically, but since there is no regulation and no "rules" I don't see who I could report my experiences to. I think they just fall into the complaint category.

I hate that reproductive regulation outside the US has resulted in such unfair practices which impede our goals -- many countries do not allow compensation for donor eggs, many countries do not allow an RE to transfer more than 2 embies (even a 42 year OE situation), so I hate the idea of regulation, but honestly, it is sort of crazy how little oversight there is here in the US.

I know that in my support group, many women were shocked at what I found out about verification -- they just assumed that agencies were checking their donor's information/records. I mean, there is not that much you can check! You would assume they would verify what they could!

And REs -- well, I guess that is easier to report. But I have friends who went to major clinics with "high success rates" who were repeatedly cycled with OE, then DE, and were broke, and then were diagnosed with hypothyroidism and got pregnant accidentally -- naturally....which really makes you feel like perhaps that clinic should not be treating patients at all.

Anyway, enough of my rant!

July 22nd, 2011, 7:56 pm #4

Fertility treatment is largely unregulated in the U.S. As you know, there's a lot of good and bad about that. Since DE agencies aren't medical concerns, there probably aren't any kind of professional boards to report them to, and I doubt whether they have any kind of certifying organization. Lacking those, I think reporting to the state's attorney general office is probably your best bet. Take care, Maggie (in VA)
I will post on this over the weekend, when I have a bit more time. suffice to say that there is no real place to report agencies and the oversight that would be nice to have would end up shutting down gamete donation entirely...

which is why I always say:

always have your own ART attorney when signing any contract with an agency or a clinic when using third-party reproduction!!!