Where do you start?

Where do you start?

Cee
Cee

May 27th, 2011, 3:54 pm #1

I've met with a couple local REs and gotten information from them regarding their donor egg programs, but just wanted to find out what you guys here do/did. I see a lot of talk about agencies - where do you find these? Do you have to subscribe or commit to a particular agency before searching for donors? We have to use donor sperm too and that's such an easy thing to access but with egg donors it seems pretty locked down. Any advice on where to begin is appreciated.

Thanks!

Zaytune
Zaytune

May 27th, 2011, 4:09 pm #2

We are in the process of starting our very first DE cycle . For us , I had started looking at agencies off the ASRM website , which is a good list if you plan to use agency donors . You could call individual agencies , usually after registering they let you look at the profiles of potential donors free of charge .You could also look at your own clinics donor pool . Some clinics have good donor pools and tend to be cheaper than agency donors . But a lot depends on your ethnicity , your specific needs from a donor etc . Here is the link for the ASRM website .

http://www.asrm.org/detail.aspx?id=856

Also

http://greateggs.com/

is another resource . Good luck .

May 27th, 2011, 10:02 pm #3

I've met with a couple local REs and gotten information from them regarding their donor egg programs, but just wanted to find out what you guys here do/did. I see a lot of talk about agencies - where do you find these? Do you have to subscribe or commit to a particular agency before searching for donors? We have to use donor sperm too and that's such an easy thing to access but with egg donors it seems pretty locked down. Any advice on where to begin is appreciated.

Thanks!
It's very individual, obviously, but find out if the clinics in your area have in-house donor pools. I ended up having to use an agency, but in general, in-house donor pools makes things easier & you avoid what is generally a significant added expense to use an agency.

What factors are important to you? Some women travel long distances in order to cycle for less money. Others need to stay local to cycle. Are you hard to match? If so, you may need to consider an agency. The clinics you are looking at should be able to give you recommendations for agencies if they don't have an in-house pool. If you go the agency route, you may be able to find one that only works with local clinics & donors. I did that & it saved me money & stress b/c I didn't need to deal with travel expenses, etc. (I think this type of agency is in the significant minority, though, so be aware of that. Most have donors from all over & don't limit themselves.)

If you are willing to share your general location, other posters may have suggestions for clinics or agencies. Also, if you are willing to travel, that is a factor.