when to stop progesterone

when to stop progesterone

De2

November 13th, 2014, 1:59 pm #1

I was told to stop progesterone at 10 weeks. That seemed early to me, so they said I could stay on it through 11 weeks. However, once I stop I would prefer to get a blood test 2 days later (after I stop) so they can see if my progesterone has dropped too much. Would a clinic agree to this? I feel there is potential danger with just stopping the support, and not getting a blood test to measure my levels.

November 13th, 2014, 2:41 pm #2

Starting at 12 weeks, I think. First they dropped the Crinone, then the oral P4. I don't see why the clinic wouldn't agree to let you have a last P4 test, though you might want to ask how much it will cost. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

November 13th, 2014, 2:42 pm #3

I was told to stop progesterone at 10 weeks. That seemed early to me, so they said I could stay on it through 11 weeks. However, once I stop I would prefer to get a blood test 2 days later (after I stop) so they can see if my progesterone has dropped too much. Would a clinic agree to this? I feel there is potential danger with just stopping the support, and not getting a blood test to measure my levels.
which is about when the placenta will take over production. With my last pregnancy, I was only on Crinone, which did not get into the blood, so it was very easy to see when my body started making its own. I did a P4 blood test at 10 weeks and my level was sky high (previously, having just been on Crinone, it was below 5), so I felt confident in stopping.

If you're at all worried, I'd ask for a test. It shouldn't be a big deal at all. I can't imagine a clinic would refuse it.

Good luck!

November 13th, 2014, 4:15 pm #4

I'm sure they'll check it but I don't expect they'll extend the use. You should probably consult your MFM as well.

November 16th, 2014, 1:52 pm #5

to stay on it for ages. Like, until 7 months. I was weaned off by my clinic at 11-12 weeks but did get quite nasty period cramps as soon as they cut back. Blood levels did drop but my gynae told me it was normal and they were still fine.

I saw another gynae and told her about the cramps and she said extra P4 couldn't ever hurt, so I stayed on it until 7 months. Probably way longer than I needed but I had enough anxiety just getting to the pregnancy....I didn't need any more and for something that doesn't do any harm, why agonise ?

good luck

al

November 17th, 2014, 6:54 pm #6

My RE said it was totally fine to stop at 9 weeks. I tapered for another week, but all was fine. I'm 21 weeks now.