what was your 'sign' to keep going

what was your 'sign' to keep going

July 26th, 2012, 7:19 am #1

A lovely poster below writes of her thoughts and the signs that have come to her very recently.

I was wondering if anyone else had signs and how that keep them on the road to ttcing.

I had three definite signs.

1. After I'd had a particularly horrible experience ttcing Siggy on this board wrote that she 'saw' me in a photograph holding a baby in the 'not too distant future'. That post came at a time when I was thinking of giving up. It kept me going like I had been given a new lease of hope.

2. I found five pairs of children's shoes near our house a few years ago when I was still ttcing. I kept them. I put them in our garage. I thought at the time they had come my way for a reason...
I found these shoes about six months ago. Each of the pairs were boys shoes. I have a boy and when I found the shoes again he fitted into them all.

3. I found a small pair of swimming goggles at our local swimming pool a few years ago. I kept them. I was heartbroken when I looked at them yet I felt hope because I figured they were put my way for me to keep going. My boy now wears them.
best, THK

July 26th, 2012, 2:27 pm #2

Someone left behind a man's barn coat with only a tiny pair of blue mittens in one of the pockets where I was working. We tried to find the owner, but no luck. I finally brought it home to my dh since it was his size and almost identical to one he had loved and worn out! We both kind of looked at the tiny mittens sadly, but I put them aside and kept them. What do you know... the next Fall, on dh's b-day, ds was born!

July 26th, 2012, 3:32 pm #3

A lovely poster below writes of her thoughts and the signs that have come to her very recently.

I was wondering if anyone else had signs and how that keep them on the road to ttcing.

1. After I'd had a particularly horrible experience ttcing Siggy on this board wrote that she 'saw' me in a photograph holding a baby in the 'not too distant future'. That post came at a time when I was thinking of giving up. It kept me going like I had been given a new lease of hope.

2. I found five pairs of children's shoes near our house a few years ago when I was still ttcing. I kept them. I put them in our garage. I thought at the time they had come my way for a reason...
I found these shoes about six months ago. Each of the pairs were boys shoes. I have a boy and when I found the shoes again he fitted into them all.

3. I found a small pair of swimming goggles at our local swimming pool a few years ago. I kept them. I was heartbroken when I looked at them yet I felt hope because I figured they were put my way for me to keep going. My boy now wears them.
best, THK
way back in 2009, I was driving from that appointment back to my office and passed a tiny house with a yard sale. They had an oil painting for sale that depicted a mom holding a baby in her arms while another woman who appeared to be a little bit younger, sat close beside her gazing at the baby. I took it to mean that I would be a mom and that I would need the help from another generous woman to make it happen. The painting has been in my bedroom ever since. It is the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning. It is by no means a spectacular piece of art but it is the best 5 dollars I've ever spent.

July 26th, 2012, 4:07 pm #4

best, THK
I never had anything happen like the sweet dove story. However, I have always kept my DD;s best toys for sentimental reasons and just in case I had another baby. I've kept money in savings, just in case I had another baby. I bought hardly any new clothes for myself for a few years, just in case I got pregnant. About four years ago I bought a new pair of running shoes in a larger size just in case I got pregnant. (funny thing is my feet are back to their normal size now so I really didn't need bigger shoes in the long run)

I used to play online games and named some of my male characters the first and middle name of my now son. I guess I really liked those names! Funny thing is I hadn't played for a while and I picked those names for my son and only later realized I had characters I had created with the same names.

I visioned a little kid playing in our backyard. I also visioned me walking up and down the street with a baby and taking a little kid to school again. I just couldn't imagine this not happening.

Now, the weird thing is I can also imagine a second little one joining the mix! So, just in case I'm keeping all my maternity clothes and again I don't get rid of my favorite and most useful baby items. But the discomfort of being pregnant again really does not sound fun to me at all. Aye, aye, aye. I need to call my clinic sometime just to find out how my frosties are being stored.

July 26th, 2012, 4:33 pm #5

best, THK
I was having troubles even getting to a cycle. When I had a change of heart in mid-life about having kids, my husband freaked out, even though as far as I was concerned we had made no formal decision to be childless forever. He did agree to go for an initial DE consultation at a local fertility clinic, and we started counseling, but he just seemed to become more angry and resistant. And I, correspondingly, began to wake up about how he had been taking advantage of me for years and how little there was in the marriage for me.

I had surgery to correct mild Asherman's Syndrome, and continued to pray. Finally, though, he gave me an ultimatum, kids or me. I thought I would go crazy. But I was standing in the gymnasium of the local elementary school waiting to vote, when I saw a sign. It read, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." (I believe that's from Wayne Gretzky.)

And I realized, with DH, I knew the score: I would live to help support him financially, be his maid servant and whore, take care of his aging parents, because heaven knows he had no plans to, and spend most of what little free time I had feeling like a single woman, because he rarely wanted to go anywhere or do anything with me. Or, I could leave him, and there might be kids, hard as single motherhood would be. There might be a new companion, as hard as it is for a middle-aged woman to find one. There might be joy. There might be those things, but I knew pretty well I wouldn't have them continuing on the path I was on, and I just realized that I would rather try and fail than find myself 60 living that life I saw ahead of me.

Despite everything I just said, I truly loved (and still love) my DH, and the thought of leaving him when I might end up alone and childless in middle age was terrifying. I realize what I've written isn't directly about ttc, but I think the Gretzky quote totally applies to ttc. As many of you know, my story gets a lot more complicated and lurid before there's something like a happy ending. And, even then, you can substitute "happy ending" for "enlightenment" in the old saying "before enlightenment we chop wood and carry water; after enlightenment we chop wood and carry water," only with twins, it's about twice as much wood and water.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

July 26th, 2012, 6:02 pm #6

I never had anything happen like the sweet dove story. However, I have always kept my DD;s best toys for sentimental reasons and just in case I had another baby. I've kept money in savings, just in case I had another baby. I bought hardly any new clothes for myself for a few years, just in case I got pregnant. About four years ago I bought a new pair of running shoes in a larger size just in case I got pregnant. (funny thing is my feet are back to their normal size now so I really didn't need bigger shoes in the long run)

I used to play online games and named some of my male characters the first and middle name of my now son. I guess I really liked those names! Funny thing is I hadn't played for a while and I picked those names for my son and only later realized I had characters I had created with the same names.

I visioned a little kid playing in our backyard. I also visioned me walking up and down the street with a baby and taking a little kid to school again. I just couldn't imagine this not happening.

Now, the weird thing is I can also imagine a second little one joining the mix! So, just in case I'm keeping all my maternity clothes and again I don't get rid of my favorite and most useful baby items. But the discomfort of being pregnant again really does not sound fun to me at all. Aye, aye, aye. I need to call my clinic sometime just to find out how my frosties are being stored.

I think about the lone perfect frostie we have and I believe we have another LO waiting to come home.

I told my dh a little over a year ago that I believe God told us we were going to have another boy. He even told me his name.

You can imagine my surprise once we got pregnant that we had a dd and not another ds. But then, to me she was a miracle so why not a second miracle?

So I believe all of these are signs...

Now, while we plan to try with our frostie at some point, I too know that my last pregnancy was not as comfortable and care free as the 1st. Will that stop us from trying with the last blast, NO. We are excited to think of 1 more child to complete our family. Will that happen? I don't know and really I don't need to know.

All I believe we must do (and this is our own personal feeling. It may not be right for eveybody.) all that we can to give our baby a shot to join the rest of his (or her family here on earth, in our home.

So before the end of the year, I too will be checking on steps to go for an FET at the clinic.

July 26th, 2012, 6:46 pm #7

best, THK
1. that I was walking down the street with a baby carriage..this was just after my first failed DE fresh cycle.
2. that I told my RE she would not be the one to help me in the end..and she actually did not..another RE did the transfer at the hospital and I used a different docs protocol.

I also believe that it was the power of positive thinking that helped..no matter what anyone told me about never having a baby..I was convinced that it would happen. never shared my thoughts about this with anyone but DH..people would have thought I was crazy with my history to ever think I would give birth.

July 26th, 2012, 7:13 pm #8

best, THK
Back when I was ttc'g using OE, I walked out of a bathroom in the infertility clinic and a man was sitting there waiting with a very young girl. She looked up at me and said, "Hi Mommy!" Her Dad quickly shushed her, but I've always remembered that moment. After that, it took four years til I had DS using DE, but I did indeed change my name to "Mommy."

July 27th, 2012, 12:02 am #9

best, THK
Every time I opened the front door a bird would fly away. I finally looked at my wreath hanging on the door and she had made a nest and it had 1 little egg in it.

The other thing was I was falling asleep one night and I heard a little girl call MOMMY and it startled me. It was just a voice in my head but I thought my unborn child to be was calling out to me.

And last...when we had the toughest time finding a African American donor (all I wanted to have was a little brother for my adopted son). I kept thinking I needed a donor so I could finally have a little brother for my son. Finally a little voice said to me, if you would just open your heart to a daughter, that's when I remembered years ago I had heard the little girls voice call mommy. So I started looking a girls clothes and toys to warm up to the idea, shortly after I found my donor and from that cycle I had 2 little embroyos that made it and they turned into boy/girl twins!

July 27th, 2012, 1:32 am #10

best, THK
My sign wasn't terribly symbolic or romantic in any way, but profound nonetheless.

We had tried 6 DE cycles and did not have a baby to show for it. Despite knowing in my heart I was destined to have a daughter, we had decided that was it. We had used up our rather liberal insurance (3 fresh cycles for every live birth, unlimited FETs). We decided if the last cycle didn't work that would be it. The last cycle didn't work, I cried, was depressed, but picked myself up and started looking into foster care.

Then, out of the blue, my insurance company sent me a letter that said they were doing away with the "3 fresh cycles per live birth" and changing it to 4 fresh cycles per covered person. I now had one additional try if I wanted it. At that moment I knew it was to be. That cycle worked and my 2.5 year old DD is sleeping in the next room as I type this. Still gives me goosebumps to think about it.-Lizzie