What PGD/MicroArray can tell you

What PGD/MicroArray can tell you

This is it!
This is it!

October 25th, 2010, 3:09 am #1

I got 12 eggs on a split cycle 10 fertilized.
My RE has worked out an inexpensive PGD costs (well relatively inexpensive lol).
It was only 2k. We decided to go for it.

We found out of our 10 fertilized eggs that all looked beautiful wonderful and perfect only 2 were actually perfect.
We transfered the 2. However I do want to note that we saved the 2k because we had nothing to freeze. I do like knowing that there was nothing chromosomally wrong with the embys we did transfer. Stick. Stick. Stick little eggys.

October 25th, 2010, 5:28 am #2

with this cycle. And yes stick stick stick!
MFH

October 25th, 2010, 12:00 pm #3

My RE has worked out an inexpensive PGD costs (well relatively inexpensive lol).

We found out of our 10 fertilized eggs that all looked beautiful wonderful and perfect only 2 were actually perfect.
We transfered the 2. However I do want to note that we saved the 2k because we had nothing to freeze. I do like knowing that there was nothing chromosomally wrong with the embys we did transfer. Stick. Stick. Stick little eggys.
Wonderful News! And Thank Gosh you did PGD! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you! Stick, stick little embabies! I hope the 2ww flies by for you!

ks

W
W

October 25th, 2010, 10:09 pm #4

which stands for Preimplantation Genetic Screening...and testing such as PGD, FISH, and CGH fall under this heading. PGD does not screen all chromosomes, less than half actually, something like 6-10. CGH screens all 23 chromosomes.

just like to clarify this detail, as the genetic testing/letter titles can get confused and lead to misinformation for IF consumers.

it's good to have some peace of mind for normalcy certainly with the embryo/s one has transferred, I agree with this wholeheartedly.

GL for a BFP,

W

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 25th, 2010, 11:13 pm #5

as opposed to FISH-PGD which only tests up to 12 pairs?

Good luck OP, it's a wonderful option and I never thought about your point of saving storage fees by not freezing abnormal embryos. Storage is expensive, a few years of storage would cost more than the PGD/PGS anyway.

W
W

October 26th, 2010, 12:19 am #6

to figure out...MA PGD is mentioned as the "next generation" of testing vaguely, but not much on the Internet about it and I have not heard much about it elsewhere either. the 'old' PGD is limited in what it tests for, I know that much, we did it 2005.

would be interesting if our OP could explain a little more about the details on what she had done and if indeed this test covers all 23 pairs.

W

W
W

October 26th, 2010, 12:31 am #7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/preimplant ... _diagnosis

it's an interesting read anyway...don't know how up to date it is, though at the bottom it says it was modified as of today's date. yet, I think these technologies/tests are developing pretty fast, so the terminology might be getting interchanged.

W

October 27th, 2010, 12:10 am #8

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201010 ... n-IVF.aspx

And you're right, W, use of the three letters "PGD" gets confusing as people commonly think of it as associated with the orginal methods of testing only 12 or 15 chromosomes that are the most common causes of m/c or birth defects. But I guess the terms Microarray PGD and Microarray Comparative Genomic Hybridisation (CGH) are starting to be used interchangably?

W
W

October 27th, 2010, 5:27 pm #9

as opposed to FISH-PGD which only tests up to 12 pairs?

Good luck OP, it's a wonderful option and I never thought about your point of saving storage fees by not freezing abnormal embryos. Storage is expensive, a few years of storage would cost more than the PGD/PGS anyway.
to the financial consideration of long term storage of embryos that might be abnormal, is the emotional burden. if one believes all of their stored embryos are normal and could lead to live births (when in fact they were not), that could potentially be very stressful and troublesome in making a decision on what to do with them when finished ttc. with this testing, that possible situation is eliminated. I have also thought even beyond that, if a couple did do the testing, and did have a surplus of normal embryos and had completed their family building, if they did decide to donate those leftover normal embryos....what a huge benefit that would be do the recipient of that donation to have that information about the embryos. I would think that would make embryo donation an even more desirable choice for some. and also, the testing would do wonders, if it became, becomes, a 'standard of care' in all IVF, for the burden of excessive embryo storage. likely today, a good percentage of stored embryos are in fact abnormal, costing IF couples a lot of extra money better spent/saved elsewhere.

W

W
W

October 27th, 2010, 5:37 pm #10

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201010 ... n-IVF.aspx

And you're right, W, use of the three letters "PGD" gets confusing as people commonly think of it as associated with the orginal methods of testing only 12 or 15 chromosomes that are the most common causes of m/c or birth defects. But I guess the terms Microarray PGD and Microarray Comparative Genomic Hybridisation (CGH) are starting to be used interchangably?
yes, I came across this article as well when I was digging around. it's all very exciting and I think it's gaining momentum. when it is a proven fact that even in young humans, that the reproductive system is inefficient at best, it's only good common sense to realize that identifying a normal embryo is a huge key to success in any IVF attempt.

I truly believe we are on the brink of huge changes.

W