What is average age on this board? I'm feeling too old at 44:(. Am I?

What is average age on this board? I'm feeling too old at 44:(. Am I?

Issla
Issla

August 25th, 2011, 1:46 pm #1

If this cycle is successful, I'll be 45. DH will be 52. I want this so bad but at times I have feelings of doubt. That I may not being doing the right thing. DE transfer will be around 9/9.

Anyone else this old? And have any of you had these feelings. TTC 6 yrs. Took a year off to reflect. Now I wish I hadn't .

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences. I hover on board. Your lives have been inspiring. Wish I was feeling more positive,.....about success of cycle And my age.

Issla

August 25th, 2011, 1:56 pm #2

I'm 50. Had my DE kids a month shy of my 49th birthday. Did start ttc till I was 47 when I realized I regretted not having had kids. GL! Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 25th, 2011, 2:14 pm #3

If this cycle is successful, I'll be 45. DH will be 52. I want this so bad but at times I have feelings of doubt. That I may not being doing the right thing. DE transfer will be around 9/9.

Anyone else this old? And have any of you had these feelings. TTC 6 yrs. Took a year off to reflect. Now I wish I hadn't .

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences. I hover on board. Your lives have been inspiring. Wish I was feeling more positive,.....about success of cycle And my age.

Issla
I want a baby so nothing is going to stop me!! and if getting/staying pregnant doesn't work out, going to look into adoption/surrogate if that doesn't work out due to being older parents/financially going to look into foster care with the option to adopt. if that doesn't work out will keep moving forward doing what I have to ... ALL MY BEST to you!!!

Don't ever give up on your Dreams!!!

cubb
cubb

August 25th, 2011, 2:21 pm #4

I'm 50. Had my DE kids a month shy of my 49th birthday. Did start ttc till I was 47 when I realized I regretted not having had kids. GL! Take care, Maggie (in VA)
but :P to the age thing...I read on here do not postpone happiness! If you think your ready...to me you are ready...leave the age thing out. The rl turkeys(credit inserted for using BBG's coined phrase) will pop up occasionally, but they are not your keeper. Do what is in your heart. I am older than you, but what the heck can I do about it now? If this try fails for me at least I can say I tried almost everything humanly possible for mine or any age for that matter. And if I can try again if it fails...I WILL. Maggie you are way cool btw.

August 25th, 2011, 3:09 pm #5

Issla
...I am 44 and my DH will be 51 (so we are in the same boat). I read others comments and am inspired at the energy and enthusiasm they have to start things at our age (and later - you go girls!). Those role models keep me believing that we, too, can make this work!

Having said that - not a week goes by that I don't second guess and ask "are we too old?"...but I have posted this before and it made all the difference in the world...I once posed the question to my mother..."What will it be like to be 74 (her age) and have a 29 year old?" and she said very matter of factly "A whole lot better than being 74 and not having any child"...for me, that was all I needed

Pict
Pict

August 25th, 2011, 3:13 pm #6

Issla
I don't think you are too old at all, I am 44 myself and just tested positive at home after my first DE cycle.

I saw this program on telly, when I was going though the IVF process, about older mothers having kids through DE. One Indian lady was 70 when she had her baby, she and her husband had tried for 50 years to have a baby. It made me cry to see them with their beautiful baby, surrounded by a loving extended family. Two English ladies had their babies in their 60's, and again, I thought it was just beautiful to see their happiness.

So no, you are not too old, make your dream come true, everyone will be rooting for you.

Cheers

Pict

August 25th, 2011, 3:24 pm #7

Issla
I like what Calm said about being 79 with a 29 y.o. child is better than 79 without a child.
I can't help calculating my age at my child's H.S. or college graduation, but heck that will just have to be. And I laugh with my DH that we will have to make a special effort to stay current with things so we aren't the ancient parents that don't get rap music...or whatever it is when our kids grow up.
I hope I am not naive, but I think with love and the right balance of attention/involvement our age won't be such an issue.
Best to you and your husband moving forward.

keifel
keifel

August 25th, 2011, 3:39 pm #8

Issla
and my dh is a few years older than yours... first cycle didn't work, now 7 months pg with second de cycle and first child! I tell people that we did the empty nest first (we've been together for nearly 20 yrs!). Both of our families and friends are beyond excited for us. I, too, took at least a year off from activly ttc with art (after many years of oe ivf), but, as much as I wish that I had that year back, I needed it for the perspective and strength to attempt this new journey. I wish you luck and don't second guess yourself. I felt that my life wouldn't be complete without children. You probably wouldn't be here if you didn't feel the need, too. I'm just greatful to have this option.

August 25th, 2011, 3:41 pm #9

Issla
I think the average age on the board is probably around 43 to 44. Good luck!

August 25th, 2011, 3:51 pm #10

Issla
I also wonder about the age, but I like the comments about being a 79 year old with a 29 year old child. It is better than having no child. I think there will always be negative comments, but you don't want to live with regret years down the road.
Last edited by alima1 on August 25th, 2011, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.